Wind Star Cabins to Avoid

aaaaa

Good day,

Any recent experience with the rear cabins on Deck #1 of the Wind Star -- e.g., cabins #101 and #102 -- or other cabins to avoid due to noise or other problems? Earlier reports complained about engine noise, etc. Thank you!

Not recent, but several years ago we were in #104, which didn't have enough room for the normal bedside table and no room at all in between the bed and the wall on one side. If you look at the deck plan you can see how the curvature of the ship makes the last couple of cabins narrower. It wasn't horrible, but I'd probably book a different cabin.

To change the subject a just bit, we were recently on deck one on the Windsurf, and we constantly smelled cigarette smoke in our stateroom. It turns out that the crew have a smoking room on the deck below, and the smoke permeated our room. We had friends in adjacent staterooms, and they complained and were moved to another deck. Apparently this is a chronic problem. The nearby elevators seem to pump the smoke up from the lower decks. This is one of many reasons that this was our last Windstar cruise.

To change the subject a just bit, we were recently on deck one on the Windsurf, and we constantly smelled cigarette smoke in our stateroom. It turns out that the crew have a smoking room on the deck below, and the smoke permeated our room. We had friends in adjacent staterooms, and they complained and were moved to another deck. Apparently this is a chronic problem. The nearby elevators seem to pump the smoke up from the lower decks. This is one of many reasons that this was our last Windstar cruise.

What was your stateroom number?

We were further forward on the 1st deck and had no problem but every time we walked aft it just reeked of smoke. Avoid those cabins.

Thank you for this. We just booked a cruise on the Surf and our cabin this time is on the first deck.

What was your stateroom number?

We were further forward on the 1st deck and had no problem but every time we walked aft it just reeked of smoke. Avoid those cabins.

We were in 150, forward, near the bow elevator. Our friends were in 144 and 146.

I'll be in 123. What do you think?

The cabins closer to the stern have more engine noise, especially on deck one.

Edited by Lobes1

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from the Windsurf. We were in cabin 123. There was a very loud noise in this cabin that disturbed our sleep on many nights. It sounded a bit like a giant bowling ball rolling around and hitting things. At first I thought it was related to the rough weather we were having, but then it happened on a night when it was perfectly smooth! I asked the people next door in 121 if they heard it too, and they said yes. It was an otherwise fantastic cruise, but I don't think I'd book this cabin or any of the ones surrounding it again.

• 7 months later...

This question about Wind STAR has been slightly hijacked by Wind SURFERS!

We were on the Wind STAR in Cabin 109 on Deck 1 and found the noise so bad at night when the boat was running that we had to move.

I should have been alerted when I found ear plugs tucked into the corner near the bed!

The people in the cabin next to us also managed to move.

Heaven knows how the folk in the Owners' Suite felt as they are down there also.

Staff said the problem was always being 'investigated'. :(

Perhaps some sound-proofing needs to be installed.

Do not book cabins 101-104, they taper due to the hull shape and the beds are right against the wall. We were in 101 once on the Windspirit and we're lucky to be able to move because at night it sounded like we were in inside of s washing machine. Also the drawers were smaller in that room and so a little less storage space although that wasn't the problem - it was the bed and noise!

Another time we were on the Windstar in cabin 104 and I was assured by the Windstar office in Seattle that this cabin was not like 101-102. They lied. Although we did not have the noise problem, the bed was pushed up against the wall. The staff on board were so sweet, they tried to move the bed since it seemed like there was space to move it. but it was bolted in so they called in the carpenter. He unbolted it (at midnight!) and pushed the bed over but then we discovered that due to the hull shape the floor curves up there making walking around the bed difficult even when space is made.

Our friends were in the cabin across the hall and having the bed against the wall didn't bother them at all.

Booked Cabin 155 on Windsurf to be close to the water and avoid what we I had read was a noisier aft area. After doing so, I read that due to crew's quarters below some people in Deck 1 forward cabins experienced a smoke odor.

I called Windstar and was told not to worry that there is a no smoking policy onboard including for the staff. Is that correct?

Today I read in another thread that there was a smoky odor on Deck 1 toward aft.

Wondering if I should call back and get a Deck 2 cabin.

Thanks

Booked Cabin 155 on Windsurf to be close to the water and avoid what we I had read was a noisier aft area. After doing so, I read that due to crew's quarters below some people in Deck 1 forward cabins experienced a smoke odor.

I called Windstar and was told not to worry that there is a no smoking policy onboard including for the staff. Is that correct?

Today I read in another thread that there was a smoky odor on Deck 1 toward aft.

Wondering if I should call back and get a Deck 2 cabin.

Thanks

We were in 155 last year and definitely had rhe problem with the smoke odor. We were told that the crew has a smoking room with "special ventilation" below. That was only one of several reasons that after four cruises, we have given up on Windstar.

I am sorry, I have checked our paperwork, and we were in 150, which is almost directly across from 155. The problem seemed to be that the the smoke was "pumped up" by the elevator adjacent to our stateroom from the crew deck below. We had never had similar problems on Windsurf in the past, but our cabins on those occasions were not near the elevator. We had enough other problems on this cruise, that we have permanently removed Windstar from our plans.

Perhaps we have great luck, we certainly have weather luck traveling, it just happens crossing the Atlantic both ways perfect weather, the Pacific perfect and the seas like glass, the North Sea and English Channel perfect, funny really I simply have great weather karma when we travel and I live in the NE where wheather can be and is miserable especially in the winter. I also think we have good karma with cabins. 19 times with WS have been fore and aft, middle, next to the elevators, B cabins and BX never smoke or noise, the gentle sea rocking being down in the B level we love, rocked to sleep. Even on a very last minute jump on no choice where we had that cabin where the bed is next to the wall, did not bother us at all, would it be our choice no but it was doable. We have always found the rooms to be perfectly sound proof. Smoke Would kill me I have horrible allergies. The few times I sat incorrectly on the smoking side outdoors I just moved. I do think cigar smoke should be banned from every where on this earth! I feel sad for people who have the addiction. Have a nice trip, relax and enjoy. Happy Sailing