Transfer to Star Breeze--Athens--Venetian Passageway

sauertea

We are booked on the Venetian Passageways itinerary on October 21. Transfer to the port from our precruise hotel was included in our booking. I was wondering what time the transfers typically leave the hotel or how the arrangements are handled by Windstar.

I will be interested to read replies. I have the same problem leaving August 31st. Got "all" my documents but it does not show at which time transfer will be. Hope this information will be provided at the hotel as we arrive.

However this is the first time I take transfer instead of handling it myself and I think it will be the last. At least when I take a taxi I know I will be in time for early check-in while now....maybe we will have to spend some time in Athens, not able to do anything interesting but having had to check out.

I will be interested to read replies. I have the same problem leaving August 31st. Got "all" my documents but it does not show at which time transfer will be. Hope this information will be provided at the hotel as we arrive.

However this is the first time I take transfer instead of handling it myself and I think it will be the last. At least when I take a taxi I know I will be in time for early check-in while now....maybe we will have to spend some time in Athens, not able to do anything interesting but having had to check out.

We've never done either the ship hotels (way more than the rate you can find online) or the transfers for the reason you list above. We're about to in Costa Rica in December only since the hotel price includes the transfer bring the cost down to somewhere within reason and the trip to the port is a long way.

In terms of wanting to stick around after checkout time, just leave your bags with the hotel until you're ready to go, they'll gladly hold them for you. Or, sometimes if you ask they'll give you a late checkout.

In Athens, absolutely have the hotel book your taxi for you. Let me say that again, have the hotel book it, get a price from them and then have the doorman walk out to the taxi with you to tell the taxi driver what you expect the price to be.

Since your hotel arrangements were made by Windstar, there will probably be a Windstar or local representative at the hotel and he/she can tell you your departure time. You may also be advised of the time at check-in; if necessary the hotel will hold your bags so you can enjoy the many sights of Athens. The representative may also be able to help with local tours, restaurants, etc.

Edited by Winner

Since your hotel arrangements were made by Windstar, there will probably be a Windstar or local representative at the hotel and he/she can tell you your departure time. You may also be advised of the time at check-in; if necessary the hotel will hold your bags so you can enjoy the many sights of Athens. The representative may also be able to help with local tours, restaurants, etc.

Thanks, that is good to know. We are first time Windstar Cruisers, so just trying to figure out all of the details

I had the same promotion. 2 pre- or post-cruise hotel+transfer. I immediately asked for the post cruise hotel in Venise as we know Athens very well+it is very warm there at the end of August. Also, my birthday is at the end of the cruise therefore I wanted to spend two more nights in Venise.

When booked, we were told "no --- Athens pre-cruise only". Not only were we disappointed but we felt that this was not honest. We booked in March and for several months thereafter they were still promoting the 2 pre- or post! We booked a hotel in Venice nevertheless and told them to book one night only in Athens.

As I said on another post : I have written several e-mails to Windstar but no reply. This is our first Windstar experience because the route is good but if anything else doesn't work, we will gladly go back to Oceania.

• 2 weeks later...

When Windstar offers the "free" hotel nights, you will, IME, get a cheaper cruise fare if you decline this "free" offer. At least, this was the case for my last booking when this was offered. It's worth calling and asking, if you are not happy with the arrangements.

• 2 weeks later...

We've just got back from the August 31st sailing. We stayed at the Hotel Grande Bretagne pre-cruise and on our arrival we asked the hotel staff about transfer times to the port, but they didn't have any information. However, on the Sunday morning, the Windstar rep was at the hotel - her desk is on a mezzanine landing just up the stairs to the right of the elevators. She was there on both the Sunday and Monday mornings (we sailed on the Monday) and a transfer information package was left in our room on the Sunday. Our bags had to be outside our hotel room by 9 am on the day of sailing; these were taken by the hotel staff to their secure luggage storage room. We had to be in the hotel lobby and our account settled with the hotel (for any meals, etc that weren't included in the package) by 1:15pm, so we were able to enjoy some more sights of Athens in the morning. The bus picked us up at 1:30 pm. After ensuring that our bags had been loaded onto the bus, it was a short 20 minute or so drive to the port. The Windstar rep pointed out some sights on the way. Once at the port, suitcases were transferred to the ship by the porters while you went through security and then onto another waiting bus for a short ride to the ship, where we were greeted by the Captain and one of the other officers. Check-in is done on the ship and after receiving our room key we were able to go to our cabin. Lunch was served in the Veranda until 4 pm. The hotel was wonderful and we found the port transfer to be very smooth. We were able to eat and unpack before the mandatory life boat drill. Hope you enjoy the cruise as much as we did!

We've just got back from the August 31st sailing. We stayed at the Hotel Grande Bretagne pre-cruise and on our arrival we asked the hotel staff about transfer times to the port, but they didn't have any information. However, on the Sunday morning, the Windstar rep was at the hotel - her desk is on a mezzanine landing just up the stairs to the right of the elevators. She was there on both the Sunday and Monday mornings (we sailed on the Monday) and a transfer information package was left in our room on the Sunday. Our bags had to be outside our hotel room by 9 am on the day of sailing; these were taken by the hotel staff to their secure luggage storage room. We had to be in the hotel lobby and our account settled with the hotel (for any meals, etc that weren't included in the package) by 1:15pm, so we were able to enjoy some more sights of Athens in the morning. The bus picked us up at 1:30 pm. After ensuring that our bags had been loaded onto the bus, it was a short 20 minute or so drive to the port. The Windstar rep pointed out some sights on the way. Once at the port, suitcases were transferred to the ship by the porters while you went through security and then onto another waiting bus for a short ride to the ship, where we were greeted by the Captain and one of the other officers. Check-in is done on the ship and after receiving our room key we were able to go to our cabin. Lunch was served in the Veranda until 4 pm. The hotel was wonderful and we found the port transfer to be very smooth. We were able to eat and unpack before the mandatory life boat drill. Hope you enjoy the cruise as much as we did!

Tnanks for all the helpful info. One question about the luggage. Is it only the large pieces that are collected in the morning? Can you hang on to the carry on stuff?