Watch Our Live Video Tour of Azura 10 April -- Ask Questions Now!

Can't wait to see what P&O's new Azura is really like, inside and out?

Cruise Critic's going to be onboard next weekend for its splashy Southampton launch -- and you're invited to tour the ship with us via live streaming video on Saturday, 10 April! It's one of the most exciting cruise ship events happening this year in the U.K.

Azura shares its basic layout with its family-friendly predecessor, Ventura -- but that's about it. The ship will sail longer itineraries and feature a more refined onboard ambience. A few other things we're excited about: 18 single cabins, a first for the line; an adults-only sun deck sanctuary called The Retreat; a wine bar created by TV personality Olly Smith; and an Indian restaurant overseen by Michelin-starred chef Atul Kochhar of Benares fame.

Got questions you'd like us to ask and answer as we explore Azura, camera and viewers in tow, and chat with folks onboard? Post them here -- we'll get to as many as possible.

Thanks in advance for your questions -- and for tuning in for our special broadcast! We'll post exact times here as soon as they're firmed up. Stay tuned…

• Administrators

Thanks, Melissa.

I'm *very* interested in those single cabins, as I often sail alone.

Also, would love to know whether the sanctuary will be first-come, first served, or can you reserve a chair for periods of time (as they do on Princess) for a fee?

Laura

I'm always interested in how vegetarian-friendly a cruise ship is. I have high hopes for the Indian restaurant -- can you check out a few menus for me?

Also, I like to be active onboard. I'd love to see pictures of the fitness center and any outdoor recreational areas. Is there a good walking track? And how big is the gym and what classes are offered?

Thanks!

Go everywhere! Can't wait to see what it's like.

Hate to ask you to check out the bars (!) but interested to see if they've come up with anything special.

Will be logging on for the video tour. Will we be able to ask live questions again like on the Oasis video tour? That was fun.

Hey Globester, glad you'll be logging on! We're taking the questions ahead this time around because we think it'll make it easier in the long for us to get lots of answers...but we promise, it'll still be lots of fun :D

Go everywhere! Can't wait to see what it's like.

Hate to ask you to check out the bars (!) but interested to see if they've come up with anything special.

Will be logging on for the video tour. Will we be able to ask live questions again like on the Oasis video tour? That was fun.

Hi. Alas, Melissa won't be there -- but we'll have a nice contingent from Cruise Critic U.K. on hand -- Kelly Ranson, our U.K. editor, Sue Bryant, our contributing editor (she'll be hosting the video tour) and me....

Please say hello.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Melissa- will you be wearing a badge? We'll be on board, and it would be interesting to meet someone from CC.

Jo.

Hi

I am going to this event too, very excited. Have the black/white and gold outfit ready, is there a web link I can email my family so they can watch the event live and look out for us?!

I remember watching the Ventura naming ceremony live on the internet.

From Southampton County Council website:

Voyage Into The Blue - a FREE event for all the family in Mayflower Park on Saturday 10 April from 5pm.

This unique event will include the naming of Azura, the amazing human catapult in 'Journey to the edge of the world', plus fireworks, dance, music, funfair and more...

Watch out for your chance to win a weekend break with P&O Cruises!

The naming of Azura

Don't miss this chance to watch the sparkling naming ceremony of P&O Cruises latest superliner - Azura on a big screen in Mayflower Park followed by a spectacular firework display.

Ceremoniously blessing a ship before it sails out to sea is a time-honoured tradition and ballerina Darcey Bussell will lead the celebrations by becoming godmother to Azura.

Journey To The Edge Of The World

Brought to you by the Nuffield Theatre and the team behind Midsummer Dreams.... A lunatic pythonesque story packed full of humour, danger, singing and waterfalls, featuring jaw-dropping human catapults and bouncing stilts. French acrobatic theatre geniuses 'Les 3 Points de Suspension' present this incredible show in English after getting rave reviews all over Europe.

Programme of Activities in Mayflower Park

From 5pm: Dance performances, funfair and live music

6.30pm: Journey To The Edge Of The World

8pm: The naming of Azura shown live on the Big Screen

8.20pm: Fireworks Finale

All timings are approximate.

I have booked A101 (January 2011) and have booked a CC category cabin on D deck - namely D732.

This is the very last Aft cabin Port side, and we know on Ventura that this has a double balcony (it is the bit that curves which means the balcony is larger).

We would love to know if its the same on Azura, as all the initial renderings did show a balcony divider BOTH sides, which meant it would be a normal width balcony.

Thanks

Oh, and pics of a Superior Deluxe Balcony Stateroom would be great - thanks.

Hi .sailing on Maiden Monday so looking forward to it. This will be my 60th cruise with P & O since 1978. Was on last trip of Canberra which was a fantastic experience so am interested to see how a maiden compares. Tried to get invite to naming ceremony but no luck so looking forward to Cruise Critic link on Saturday.

I would be interested to know why the new ship is registered in Southampton when all their others have been re registered in Hamilton which I had understood to be so that they could have weddings at sea?

Hi,

I would be obliged if you could check out cabins at the back end of the Azura for me please - B 751 and B753.

How big are the balconys?

Obscured views?

Room layout?

Single or double beds?

Do they look as if they are same size room as the other balconys on the side?

Any chance of some pics?

What is the view at this end?

In your opinion is the view as good as a side cabin? (probably personal preference).

Thanking you in advance. I am considering booking a cabin at the back end of the Azura and never having a cabin at the back before am curious. Looking at these rooms atm.

thank you

Hi .sailing on Maiden Monday so looking forward to it. This will be my 60th cruise with P & O since 1978. Was on last trip of Canberra which was a fantastic experience so am interested to see how a maiden compares. Tried to get invite to naming ceremony but no luck so looking forward to Cruise Critic link on Saturday.

Wow, 60 cruises with P&O! Impressive! We hope you enjoy the video tour! And of course, your cruise!

We're booked to go in October and have a cabin booked with bunk beds. We would love to see what they look like, as we've been unable to find a picture anywhere. Thanks

I wasn't aware there were cabins with bunk beds on Azura :confused:

- what cabin number is it (or grade if you don't want to give out the number)?

Karen

I wasn't aware there were cabins with bunk beds on Azura :confused:

- what cabin number is it (or grade if you don't want to give out the number)?

Karen

I think you will find that the poster means Pullman Berths the ones that pull out from the ceiling. I have never seen bunk beds.

Would be interested also to see how far the overhang is in cabins on Riveira deck at the aft end of the deck.

Thanks

Rex

I think you will find that the poster means Pullman Berths the ones that pull out from the ceiling. I have never seen bunk beds.

Rex

Ah, I hadn't considered that - I had visions of the QE2 cabin I had as a solo in 2006 with the pull down upper berth over the only lower berth & very little floor space around :eek: (plenty of wardrobe space though - well it was Cunard;) )

I thought for a second Azura was going back in time:D

38ANCHOR we have cabins 729---731 CC grade going on the 10 may,like them i'de like to see??

also not been on one as big as is there plenty of deck space for everyone???

is there anywhere to quietly hide away.

awaiting with baited breath,will we like it?????

Hey Globester, glad you'll be logging on! We're taking the questions ahead this time around because we think it'll make it easier in the long for us to get lots of answers...but we promise, it'll still be lots of fun :D

:):) Very envious of you Melissa, being able to visit Azura this weekend, I've got to wait til end of May! Enjoy! I would love to know what it will cost to eat in the alternative restaurants, like Sindu, and how far in advance we have to book them? Also will they be putting their Spa prices on-line, not for the suites but for their treatments?

Archived