Opinions please: Stay in Jersey City or Elizabeth?

BermudaBound2014

Would like your opinions on the following choices. I will be flying into Newark either late Friday evening or early Saturday morning (choice is mine depending on where I decide to stay). Doing a Sunday departure on Anthem in the spring. Do not need parking. Do need to get to Port Liberty.

Option 1: Stay in the Elizabeth area. Mall to waste some time Saturday. Free transport from airport. Would choose a hotel with a shuttle or take a taxi to port. My understanding is a taxi from Elizabeth to Cape Liberty is around $50.00. Shuttle around $20. Prices for my dates for hotel are around $155 (give or take) plus $20 for shared shuttle so $175.00 gets me to the pier.

Option 2: Stay in Jersey City. I would need to take the bus/path to Jersey city upon arrival (under $10). Would need taxi from Jersey City to port. Have read that taxi would be around $65.00.

Right now, Candlewood Suites in jersey city is cheaper than anything in Elizabeth for my dates at $125.00 per night. I won't go into Manhattan this trip, but certainly don't mind looking at that beautiful skyline. Plus, from Jersey City I can fill my 2 bottles of wine quota. Total cost from Candlewood to the pier would be around $200.00 (or $25.00 more than Elizabeth).

Of those two options, I'm leaning toward #2, but would like some feedback if I'm missing anything or if I have miscalculated fees.

Thank you in advance :)

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Hi! I'll start off my saying I live a town over from Elizabeth. If shopping at Jersey Gardens is high on your list I say find something in Elizabeth, you also will find many great Spanish restaurants as well. I don't think you'd have a problem finding a store to buy your two bottles. Aside from the Mall there isn't really much I would recommend to do, they recently started a video 'Vacation in Elizabeth' horrible!

With Jersey city you do get the view of Manhattan and potentially some nightlife action. For shopping you would have Newport Mall. You could also take a taxi to either liberty state park or the liberty science center. I would highly recommend if you are in JC to take the Path to World Trade Center, super quick ride and the 'Westfield' is open inside the Oculus. The path is $2.75 each way, so going into Manhattan would be cheaper than a uber/taxi ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the reply. Shopping is not high on my priority list for either places, but I would like to pick up 2 bottles of wine. From what I've read, that can NOT be found at the Elizabeth mall location. :(.

I've been to Manhattan several times, so that isn't my focus this trip; but it's a nice option if I change my mind. Basically, if I stayed in JC I can see myself wandering the walkway along the hudson for a few hours.

I've even priced out some Manhattan skyline views (Westin and Hyatt). They are coming in around $300.00. Certainly beautiful views, but not sure I want to spend that on this one pre-cruise night.

Depending on where specifically you are in Elizabeth, you should be fairly close to a liquor store. Unless you are looking for something high end or hard to find I'm sure you'll find it in any mom and pop liquor every store.

Downtown JC has expanded a lot over the past few years and the views are great. The coffee shops and eateries aren't there yet. Maybe look into Hoboken as well? The W Hotel is what comes to mind, but in sure there are others too.

According to this site, a taxi from Candlewood in Jersey city to Cape Liberty should only run around $30.00 but that is contrary to what I've read on here. Any ideas about how much a cab would cost? If a cab really is only $30.00 plus tip it would make staying in Jersey city actually cheaper than staying near the airport in Elizabeth.

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Candlewood-Suites-Jersey-City/Cape-Liberty-Cruise-Port

The site quoting $30 for a taxi is wrong. $50 is more like it. Also it's not easy to get to Jersey City from EWR by anything but taxi or car service. There are no liquor stores in the immediate area of the airport hotels located in Elizabeth, so you wouldn't be able to buy your wine without being having a car to drive. As a result there really is no choice that satisfies all your needs inexpensively, so you have to pick whatever imperfect solution is more satisfactory for you.

Edited by njhorseman

Multiple liquor stores a far walk from the main group of hotels on 1&9 cross from the Airport.

The following two are on North Ave that I drive by on a weekly basis - Cantinho Liqours and Wine Cellars.

More options a bit further out but if your going to try a local spot for lunch/dinner you will be fine.

Again like I said in my early post I live a town away.

I'm quite familiar with the Jersey City waterfront. Just in terms of ambiance, one of the hotels in that area would always be my first choice.

I would disagree slightly with njhorseman's assertion that "it is not easy to get from EWR by anything but taxi or car service." The level of ease depends on one's willingness & ability to use public transportation--in this case, a mix of airtrain (monorail from the airport terminal to the EWR train station), train (a five-minutes' ride on NJ Transit from the EWR station to Newark Penn Station), PATH train from Newark Penn to Exchange Place in Jersey City, and then a few blocks' walk from Exchange Place to Candlewood Suites.

(Okay, doing it that way does take longer than going by car, and calls for some patience... And I can understand that, after coming off a flight, with luggage, many people would just rather skip the hassles of using three different forms of rail travel in succession, and instead opt for the convenience of a door-to-door car service.;))

Also: Instead of taking a taxi or car service all the way from Jersey City to Cape Liberty, one can save money by taking the light rail from the Harborside Light Rail Station (just half a block from Candlewood Suites) to 34th Street in Bayonne, and then a cab from there for the last two miles to the Cape Liberty cruise terminal. On Sundays, the light rail trains run every 20 minutes, and the trip takes 18 minutes; the fare is $2.25 (adult) or $1.10 (child/ senior 62+/ disabled). A cab from the 34th Street (Bayonne) light rail station to the cruise terminal is probably around $12 + tip.

As always, it's a choice between cost and (relative) convenience.

By the way, there's a liquor store on the far corner of the ground floor of the large building (the Portofino Waterfront Residences) next to the Candlewood Suites, on 2nd Street. I've never gone inside, but from the outside it looks like they would have a reasonable selection, though probably nothing spectacular.

Edited by Post Captain

BermudaBound2014 - post Captain is right on the money.

What exact date are you doing this? Can you manage your luggage on accessible public transit?

NJ Transit train from Newark Airport Station to Newark Penn Station - $8.50 - one stop

PATH from Newark Penn Station to Exchange Place - $2.75 - usually PATH is directly accessible across the platform at Newark Penn Station

NJ Transit Hudson Bergen Light Rail from Exchange Place to Harborside - $2.25 - street level station platform across a small plaza from the PATH exit. Candlewood Suites is right near the light rail station.

To Cape Liberty -

Hudson-Bergen light rail towards 8th St Bayonne getting off at 34th St. - $2.25

Call one of these cab companies for a pickup. Uber may also be an option. Expect to pay $10-12.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

NJ Transit map with Path and light rail

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdfPath Map

NJ Transit - find schedule

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

Path Map

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

Hudson-Bergen Light Rail Map

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

If you have no more than two pieces of luggage 22x16x8, bus 62 from your airline terminal will take you to Newark Penn Station for $1.60 -

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0062.pdf

Thanks everyone. I have no problem doing the train to PATH to JC and it's nice to know of the light rail option to 34th to save a bit of cash too. Is the $50.00 estimate from candlewood suites to Cape Liberty pretty accurate? I'd take a taxi if the weather wasn't being friendly.

I've been looking this morning at the Westin and Hyatt on the Hudson, the views from both look spectacular.

Multiple liquor stores a far walk from the main group of hotels on 1&9 cross from the Airport.

The following two are on North Ave that I drive by on a weekly basis - Cantinho Liqours and Wine Cellars.

More options a bit further out but if your going to try a local spot for lunch/dinner you will be fine.

Again like I said in my early post I live a town away.

And you would try to walk to those stores from a nearby hotel? Those aren't the hotels the OP is considering anyway...it would be the hotels near Jersey Gardens Outlets that are being discussed, and there are no liquor stores near there.

BermudaBound ~

Personally, I think you will be fine taking the airtrain (airport monorail)/ NJ Transit train combination to Newark Penn Station with that luggage, rather than the bus. Thousands of air passengers use the airtrain/train combination every day, and I much prefer that option for several reasons:

1. The monorail from the airport to the EWR train station is designed for passengers with luggage. It's easy to get on and off the monorail with luggage, and easy to get on and off the train. (Platform is level with the train.) The NJ Transit train ride itself takes only four or five minutes.

2. The airtrain is easy to find when you're inside the airport terminal; just follow the signs and take an escalator or elevator to the top level of the terminal, where the airtain stations are located. NJ Transit ticket machines are strategically located; you can't miss them.

3. The airtrain runs every few minutes, and NJ Transit trains from the EWR to Newark Penn Station run very frequently. (Just make sure you board an NJ Transit train and not an Amtrak train!)

4. Although the bus ride takes only 15-20 minutes and is "door-to-door", the ride itself is not particularly comfortable or pleasant, and the bus makes a number of stops in downtown Newark before it arrives at the station. If I recall correctly, there really isn't much space on the bus for luggage.

5. When the bus arrives outside Newark Penn Station, you have to find your way through the station and upstairs to the correct track for the PATH train--again, not the most pleasant experience, and potentially a bit confusing. If you take the NJ Transit train from EWR to Newark Penn Station, you merely exit the train and cross the platform for the PATH train. (You buy the PATH ticket at one of the ticket machines near the entrance to the PATH section of the platform.)

My wife & I used to take the bus between Newark Penn Station and the airport back in the days before the monorail was built; since then, we've only taken it once or twice, when the monorail was out of service for scheduled maintenance. Otherwise, it's the train for us every time.

I'd still like to know what date and time you would be going from EWR to the hotel.

Be sure to check the NJ Transit schedule between Newark Airport Station and Newark Penn Station in the NJ Transit link I posted. There can be gaps between clusters of trains. PATH runs on a more regular schedule as does the light rail.

I've been looking this morning at the Westin and Hyatt on the Hudson, the views from both look spectacular.

The Hyatt Regency is built on the foundations of an old pier jutting into the Hudson River, and I'm pretty certain you'd get a terrific view from just about any room.

Some views from outside the Hyatt:

Many of the rooms on the higher floors of the Westin should have views of the Hudson and the Manhattan skyline. These short videos shot across the street from the Westin show external glimpses of the hotel and give an idea of the proximity of the waterfront walkway:

The Candlewood Suites is just a few minutes' walk from the Hyatt; it's a bit inland, so I would guess that there aren't really any great views. But you can easily walk to the waterfront walkway.

There is a light rail stop within a block or so of each of these hotels.

Carol ~ OP says she's flying into EWR on "either late Friday evening or early Saturday morning," but not the actual date(s). If it's on a late Friday, travel from EWR to JC could be a bit of an issue, depending upon how late "late" is.

Edited by Post Captain

Carol ~ OP says she's flying into EWR on "either late Friday evening or early Saturday morning," but not the actual date(s). If it's on a late Friday, travel from EWR to JC could be a bit of an issue, depending upon how late "late" is.

My concern exactly. My guess is that the OP is also a solo woman traveler. For a late night arrival (after 8 pm) I would be recommending the Newark Penn Station Hilton or the Robert Treat if the OP doesn't want to pay for a taxi to Jersey City.

Thanks again everyone! This is an extremely helpful board. As you guessed, I am a solo female traveler. From Detroit, so Newark doesn't frighten me terribly. But being from Detroit, I am also aware that no matter how "aware" you are, one simply does not venture into Cass Corridor day or night.

Here is my plan.

1) An early flight from Detroit to Newark on Saturday, April 1st will arrive around 9:00 am. I'm guessing that is a reasonable time for weekend travel.

2) Monorail from airport to EWR train station. I'm assuming this can be picked up fairly easily from a Delta Arrival terminal.

3) NJ Transit (not amtrack) train to Newark Penn.

4) Grab PATH to Exchange Place. If I end up at the Hyatt, I'm all done. If I end up at the Weston I may need the light rail depending on weather. However; I don't mind walking if deemed reasonably safe. The candlewood suites look very close to the Hyatt and easily walkable from exchange station as well. Would you walk it if you had a nice spring day?

I'll be at the hotel long before check in, but that's ok. I have a friend from Princeton meeting me for the day and we can do lunch and walk around. I'm sure no matter what hotel I choose they will store my luggage until my room is ready.

PS: If you're ever in the Detroit Metro area, I promise to take extra good care of you both :)

Thanks again everyone! This is an extremely helpful board. As you guessed, I am a solo female traveler. From Detroit, so Newark doesn't frighten me terribly. But being from Detroit, I am also aware that no matter how "aware" you are, one simply does not venture into Cass Corridor day or night.

Here is my plan.

1) An early flight from Detroit to Newark on Saturday, April 1st will arrive around 9:00 am. I'm guessing that is a reasonable time for weekend travel.

2) Monorail from airport to EWR train station. I'm assuming this can be picked up fairly easily from a Delta Arrival terminal.

3) NJ Transit (not amtrack) train to Newark Penn.

4) Grab PATH to Exchange Place. If I end up at the Hyatt, I'm all done. If I end up at the Weston I may need the light rail depending on weather. However; I don't mind walking if deemed reasonably safe. The candlewood suites look very close to the Hyatt and easily walkable from exchange station as well. Would you walk it if you had a nice spring day?

I'll be at the hotel long before check in, but that's ok. I have a friend from Princeton meeting me for the day and we can do lunch and walk around. I'm sure no matter what hotel I choose they will store my luggage until my room is ready.

PS: If you're ever in the Detroit Metro area, I promise to take extra good care of you both :)

Sounds like a plan. Any chance your friend can pick you up at the airport? Going from Princeton to Jersey City they will drive right by the airport on the turnpike.

Sounds like a plan. Any chance your friend can pick you up at the airport? Going from Princeton to Jersey City they will drive right by the airport on the turnpike.

I wanted to follow up with my final plan since everyone was so helpful. Spoke with my friend at Princeton yesterday and she is coming in by train also.

Since we are both using the PATH from Newark penn station I splurged for the Hyatt on the Hudson. It's adjacent to the PATH for arrival day and the light rail for getting to the port. The $100.00 I'm going to save by using public transportation, and the $100 by flying in Saturday morning instead of Friday night covered the upgrade to a Manhattan sky view room at the Hyatt. I'm thrilled to start the vacation in style.

Thanks again to all for you help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wanted to follow up with my final plan since everyone was so helpful. Spoke with my friend at Princeton yesterday and she is coming in by train also.

Since we are both using the PATH from Newark penn station I splurged for the Hyatt on the Hudson. It's adjacent to the PATH for arrival day and the light rail for getting to the port. The $100.00 I'm going to save by using public transportation, and the $100 by flying in Saturday morning instead of Friday night covered the upgrade to a Manhattan sky view room at the Hyatt. I'm thrilled to start the vacation in style.

Thanks again to all for you help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a great plan. Have a wonderful,cruise!