Norway's Fjords and Arctic Svalbard

Hi there!

my husband and i are thinking about this cruise for May 2015. Has anyone done it? I have no experience cruising; my google search for photography tours in Norway bought this up. We are both adventurous and not ones to take a holiday lying around and the itinerary looks amazing. The cost does appear a little prohibitive and it will use our house renovation funds to do it - but that is ok.

I am an amateur photographer and i am wanting some tuition as part of the tour - does this provide for this? Other tours i have looked at (that look nowhere near as exciting) feature the photography assistance very strongly in their advertising, whereas this tour features more of the adventure.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Megan

Wife and I took this same journey last year (2014) and it was great. The Norwegian part was super as we traveled through the many fjoirds and so close to the waterfalls you could reach out and touch them. The Arctic was the best part for me, though some treks went through knee deep snow. The walks(?) are long enough and not too difficult.

We had a number of photographers on board and they were extremely helpful and approachable all of the time. They are always there to help with the fanciest camera to the use of your telephones camera. Walking through an Arctic island with Cissy by my side to answer any photo question was great! This was NOT a Photo adventure (as are some Lindblad trips), but there were 6 or more experienced photo experts to help and they had at least one afternoon when it was devoted to small groups working with interested passengers and a photographer. I do not see how you can go wrong here, besides the expense.

Bring your rubber boots. I brought Muck boots and my wife bought those you can order from the Lindblad site. Wasn't really too cold the entire trip, but as you sailed closer to northern Norway and into the Arctic, it did get colder.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Megan

You are very lucky to be taking this cruise. We have gone with Lindblad on 3 separate cruises up through Arctic Norway, one of which is the one you are taking. We did that one as a B2B following the British Isles itin which ends in Bergen. Yes, Lindblad is pretty expensive, but the value is there. You can count on NG photographers being on board who will be friends as well as photographic coaches. The opportunities are countless - Polar Bears, Walrus, Arctic Fox, countless forms of birdlife (including Puffin) and breathtaking scenic settings. You will have wet landings in very cold water - so, boots are in order. Don't worry - you can use them again when you go to the Antarctic. Yes, you will get there - probably after the house reno is finished!

Ted

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My husband and I are seriously thinking of one of Lindblad's Artic cruises. I noticed other members discussing boots and snow pants, etc. What type of clothing is needed for this part of the world? We live outside of Boston so are used to the cold and snow, especially this year!! Seems like there are special boots that might be needed. Thanks

I have always suggested that folks looking forward to the Arctic or Antarctic take a look at NEOS. They fit over walking shoes and take up less room and are lighter weight than conventional boots. Easy to pack and comfortable walking.

• 2 months later...

Just came back from this trip and it was awesome. Lots of daily activities at all levels of interest from zodiac cruises to short, medium, and long hikes. Of course, you can also just stay aboard and enjoy the spectacular views.

Svalbard is an amazing place. Saw polar bears, walruses, and even some arctic foxes. Add in some glaciers and a stark yet beautiful environment and you have a once-in-a-lifetime experience.,

I assume you were on board when Cotton had that fatal dive - we're traveled with him and Sisse several times - what a loss.

Yes -in fact, we were in our cabin when we heard the call for medical assistance to the so-called "mud room". Helicopter transit arrived shortly thereafter.

It hit everyone on the ship pretty hard.