EX Azamara Newbie - Our Quest cruise Experience&Comments

lolau79

OK!!!!! I am so jealous at the moment...

I am having regrets now.... But Prime C was really good.

One more reason to go back on that beautiful ship ( like if we needed any ) :D:D:D

What is fabulous is that the two speciality restaurants on Azamara are totally different and equally wonderful.

Something for you to enjoy next cruise

It's a tomato based sauce which would totally overpower the delicate, Dover Sole. Even the excellent waiters in Aqualina think it a strange combination. We too ask to have it served with lemon and butter.

Yes, that was it and it was because of their suggestion, he didn't order it that way.

It's a tomato based sauce which would totally overpower the delicate, Dover Sole. Even the excellent waiters in Aqualina think it a strange combination. We too ask to have it served with lemon and butter.

Yuck! Thanks for the tip. Now if I can just remember that for a year until we're on Journey!

We would like to,try private places, we also have a special anniversary. I've been told it can only be booked on board. How did you manage it? We're you already in a spa suite? I feel like I read somewhere they get first dibs, but I could be wrong. Let me know how early you had to book and who you booked with. I'm concerned because we have a morning activity in Venice and might not be among the first on board, we might miss out.

TIA

We would like to,try private places, we also have a special anniversary. I've been told it can only be booked on board. How did you manage it? We're you already in a spa suite? I feel like I read somewhere they get first dibs, but I could be wrong. Let me know how early you had to book and who you booked with. I'm concerned because we have a morning activity in Venice and might not be among the first on board, we might miss out.

TIA

Hi,

We were not in a suite. Indeed, night in private places can only be book on board. We book it the 2nd day of the cruise with the concierge Yasmine, her desk is near the reception on deck 4. She is very sweet and kind, she will really try to do the best to accomodate you. I heard that on some itinerary booking that night is very popular, but on our cruise it was not the case. We chose a night mid cruise, we followed good suggestions a few CC members had given us, and booked a night we knew the scenery would be awesome.. And it was... The weather was perfect and the sea very calm. Sleeping under the stars on a cruise ship is a very special feeling...We enjoyed that night a lot, it will always be one of our best memories of the whole trip. Go ahead, do it, if its anything like "our" night, you wont have any regrets.

Have fun;):D

Hi,

We were not in a suite. Indeed, night in private places can only be book on board. We book it the 2nd day of the cruise with the concierge Yasmine, her desk is near the reception on deck 4. She is very sweet and kind, she will really try to do the best to accomodate you. I heard that on some itinerary booking that night is very popular, but on our cruise it was not the case. We chose a night mid cruise, we followed good suggestions a few CC members had given us, and booked a night we knew the scenery would be awesome.. And it was... The weather was perfect and the sea very calm. Sleeping under the stars on a cruise ship is a very special feeling...We enjoyed that night a lot, it will always be one of our best memories of the whole trip. Go ahead, do it, if its anything like "our" night, you wont have any regrets.

May I ask, what is the cost of this?

Hi,

Thanks! We will give it a try, hoping for our the night before our anniversary, because we depart on the early side and arrive late. But we could possibly do it in Venice, which would be very scenic, we have an overnight there. Do you think that it would be too public with the ship docked in port? Is it better to be sailing away?

So, where are you cruising to next? ;p We love Prime C also.

One night a few years ago, we were celebrating our anniversary early. The night we ate in Prime C was our anniversary dinner. When we sat down, I asked the maitre d about the sunset and he said we would have had to eat in Aqualina to see it. He knew I was disappointed. A few minutes later an announcement came over the loud speaker. Captain Johannes announced he was turning the ship because a couple was celebrating their anniversary. He also said he would charge us a dollar for the fuel. ;) You won't see that happening on another cruise line probably.

Hi,

Perfect example of " they go above and behond to make their passengers happy ". Great story.

Night in private places cost around $400 usd( for the both of us ). Not cheap but money well spent...

We are not sure yet of our next destination, but it will probably be Australia/Asia or Thailand/Vietnam... Decisions decisions... but what a great dilemna:hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

Thanks! We will give it a try, hoping for our the night before our anniversary, because we depart on the early side and arrive late. But we could possibly do it in Venice, which would be very scenic, we have an overnight there. Do you think that it would be too public with the ship docked in port? Is it better to be sailing away?

Hello,

We did it while sailing away in the gorgeous Kotor Montenegro fjords!!!!!! Amazing scenery.... Actually Kotor was my favorite of the entire cruise:hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes: Beautiful little city with steep roads/stairs, nice little shops and cafes and nice people. We also hired a private driver who showed us around fro 3-4 hours, all of Kotor area, Perast in particular, was very nice. The color of the water all around Kotor was incredible.

Venice is also unbelievable but if you are dock in San Basilio (and i think you will be), at least that's where we docked last may. The view of the Grand Canal is beautiful but there is also a LOT, and i mean a lot of traffic on the canal. Vaporettos, water taxis and private boats etc...all togheter doesnt make it as "private". There is more traffic during daytime but there's still big traffic at night....:rolleyes:

We stayed in Venice 5 days prior to the cruise and the Grand Canal was always very busy except perhaps from 1:00 to 7:00 am.

Hello,

We did it while sailing away in the gorgeous Kotor Montenegro fjords!!!!!! Amazing scenery.... Actually Kotor was my favorite of the entire cruise:hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes: Beautiful little city with steep roads/stairs, nice little shops and cafes and nice people. We also hired a private driver who showed us around fro 3-4 hours, all of Kotor area, Perast in particular, was very nice. The color of the water all around Kotor was incredible.

Venice is also unbelievable but if you are dock in San Basilio (and i think you will be), at least that's where we docked last may. The view of the Grand Canal is beautiful but there is also a LOT, and i mean a lot of traffic on the canal. Vaporettos, water taxis and private boats etc...all togheter doesnt make it as "private". There is more traffic during daytime but there's still big traffic at night....:rolleyes:

We stayed in Venice 5 days prior to the cruise and the Grand Canal was always very busy except perhaps from 1:00 to 7:00 am.

Oh, very good to know! So now I have 2 potential days, do what you did, 1- from Kotor the 2 nights before our anniversary. So to keep pestering you with questions, but what time did you leave port and see the fjords? Our cruise it leaves at 4:30, and the NIPP doesn't start till 8, so I wonder if we'd still be in fjords?

My other option, 2- (if any of them are available,) is the night before our anniversary, since we leave Corfu at 2 and don't arrive in Malta till 1 Pm, but looking at a map, I think we would prefer to do your plan because we'd be nearer to land, and not out crossing the Ionian Sea, which might not be so scenic!

Since I don't want to ahem, :o to create any scenery myself, I think I'll skip NIPP in Venice :')

Thank you again for your review, it's very helpful!

Oh, very good to know! So now I have 2 potential days, do what you did, 1- from Kotor the 2 nights before our anniversary. So to keep pestering you with questions, but what time did you leave port and see the fjords? Our cruise it leaves at 4:30, and the NIPP doesn't start till 8, so I wonder if we'd still be in fjords?

My other option, 2- (if any of them are available,) is the night before our anniversary, since we leave Corfu at 2 and don't arrive in Malta till 1 Pm, but looking at a map, I think we would prefer to do your plan because we'd be nearer to land, and not out crossing the Ionian Sea, which might not be so scenic!

Since I don't want to ahem, :o to create any scenery myself, I think I'll skip NIPP in Venice :')

Thank you again for your review, it's very helpful!

It takes about an hour and a half to sail out to open sea from Kotor. It is indeed a very beautiful place. You have some other lovely stops (that itinerary is my favourite of the Mediterranean). Azamazing is in Valletta. Not sure what night for White Night. Maybe Sorrento. Try for NIPP in Hvar. Don't forget that in October it will be dark fairly early. Sunset around 6.30pm.

Phil

It takes about an hour and a half to sail out to open sea from Kotor. It is indeed a very beautiful place. You have some other lovely stops (that itinerary is my favourite of the Mediterranean). Azamazing is in Valletta. Not sure what night for White Night. Maybe Sorrento. Try for NIPP in Hvar. Don't forget that in October it will be dark fairly early. Sunset around 6.30pm.

Phil

Thanks Phil! We've had this one booked for years, I'm really excited about this itinerary! It's in Oct, that's why I asked about the 4:30 sail away, I think by 8, we will be well past the views unless we were sailing to or from a brightly lit city (thinking like Venice or Budapest) I don't think we'd see much, so Hvar could work, except we have Dubrovnik at 8:30 AM the next morning, and a very busy day planned and unfortunately, record numbers of other cruise ships :( that day, so want to get an early start! I think I'd like to pick a day we won't be rushing off in the AM, so we can enjoy the breakfast. Our actual anniversary is on the Valletta day, but we are signed up for the Azamazing evening...chamber music, how did you find it , Phil? I know the AEs are hit or miss...

Of course all this depends on how popular it is and who else is signed up from the spa suites. I'm sure it would be lovely on any night!

Thanks Phil! We've had this one booked for years, I'm really excited about this itinerary! It's in Oct, that's why I asked about the 4:30 sail away, I think by 8, we will be well past the views unless we were sailing to or from a brightly lit city (thinking like Venice or Budapest) I don't think we'd see much, so Hvar could work, except we have Dubrovnik at 8:30 AM the next morning, and a very busy day planned and unfortunately, record numbers of other cruise ships :( that day, so want to get an early start! I think I'd like to pick a day we won't be rushing off in the AM, so we can enjoy the breakfast. Our actual anniversary is on the Valletta day, but we are signed up for the Azamazing evening...chamber music, how did you find it , Phil? I know the AEs are hit or miss...

Of course all this depends on how popular it is and who else is signed up from the spa suites. I'm sure it would be lovely on any night!

If sail away is at 4:30 from Kotor you wont be anymore in the fjords around 8:00pm for sure. But, as you say any night will be lovely.

One hint, you can trust Phil "excitedofharpenden" judgment, he's the one who suggested to do NIPP in Kotor to me - Thanks again Phil, it was a GREAT idea;p

And Familygoboston, its not to many questions..

I'm just returning the favor, you're the one who did the Azamara/Paul Gauguin compare for me. That's what this forum is all about.

Thanks ;)

Yes, any night is good. Maybe with a busy day planned in Dubrovnik then do it another night. Are you in Dubrovnik 7th October? Only one other larger ship with you so looks ok. Wonder if you could do it the day you arrive late in Kotor?

The Azamazing Evening in the conference centre I enjoyed. Lots to see if it's the same kind of event there. Did one at the cathedral in Mdina too. Not so good, so you have the best one in my view.

Phil

Beware, you have the Azamara fever now, and there is no cure! Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience.

As for the two ships, our first cruise with Azamara was on Journey, and we loved it. However, itineraries led us to Quest for the next six weeks onboard, and because we got to know the crew (Russ is everywhere!), it became our favorite, but we're back on Journey this year and next.

Hi,

We were feeling a little feverish yesterday, the only solution was a trip to our TA office this morning..... and we did find a cure ;)...

We booked the Thailand/Vietnam cruise next december, on the Journey this time. So within less than 8 months, we will have experienced both Azamara ships. Not bad for "newbies";p ( and i'm not even totally unpacked from the 1st cruise ).

The price is pretty good, the itinerary is fabulous, we wanted to visit Halong Bay for a long time now.

Talk about "Love at first sight":hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes: What a great Christmas gift.

Thanks to all

Hi,

We were feeling a little feverish yesterday, the only solution was a trip to our TA office this morning..... and we did find a cure ;)...

We booked the Thailand/Vietnam cruise next december, on the Journey this time. So within less than 8 months, we will have experienced both Azamara ships. Not bad for "newbies";p ( and i'm not even totally unpacked from the 1st cruise ).

The price is pretty good, the itinerary is fabulous, we wanted to visit Halong Bay for a long time now.

Talk about "Love at first sight":hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes: What a great Christmas gift.

Thanks to all

Thank you lolau79...I'm so glad we could provide a cure to your travel fever! We look forward to welcoming you back aboard in December :hearteyes:

Thank you lolau79...I'm so glad we could provide a cure to your travel fever! We look forward to welcoming you back aboard in December :hearteyes:

Thank you Bonnie,

Could not be more happy :cool::D