RCL VS Windstar

Mojo Daddy

Hi folks!

I'm done with Royal Caribbean after my last cruise. Too much drama and Diamond Lounge snobs for this fella. Plus the energy onboard and food aren't what I remember from 2015.

I'm looking for an upscale cruise experience with more down to earth peeps. What's the skinny with Windstar? More low key sounds nice and relaxing, but I bet I could still win the hairy chest and belly flop contest down on the water sports platform, if anyone challenges me. :D

I would say there is no comparison, but it is also comparing apples to oranges. Personally, I won't cruise on the "floating cities" anymore. I was over the passengers crowding the buffets with their buckets of Budweisers. It is a totally different caliber of passengers, most are well off, but they are not snobbish.

The style is considered "resort casual" and there are no formal nights. There are no roving photographers taking pictures while you're eating, but also not much in the way of entertainment. There are only 100-300 guests on board and almost no one under the age of 20. The staff is the best we've encountered on any cruiseline. The food is also very good. Low key is a good way to describe it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Everybody is treated the same on Windstar. There is no tiered reward system, no special lines for "suites and elites", or any other class distinctions.

Windstar does have a past passenger rewards system called the Yacht Club. It only takes one cruise to become a member. After that the rewards are exactly the same for everybody that has completed at least one cruise. Each cruise has a brief welcome aboard cocktail party for Yacht Club members. That cocktail party and a free tote bag are the only things you'll miss out while onboard your first Windstar cruise.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Edited by BBQ Lover

No loud speakers, seldom if ever used, no pressure to buy anything, no riduculous games, when we are under sail, no motor, people whisper, small buffets at breakfast and lunch but there is a nice menu ( I detest buffetts ) , unbelievable laundry service reasonably priced, no lines, elegant but not ostentatious, no all day saving of chairs no need to, no formal nights. Plenty of loveliness, politeness, extraordinary service, plenty of privacy if you want it or socializing if you want that, civilized, fun. Small and beautiful. Plenty of perfect. Happy Sailing.

I prefer WS but adjust pretty well with Celebrity :-). Love the fact that most of the guest are well traveled and interesting. They love sailing. You get to know almost everybody by the end of the cruise and we've made numerous friends. Country club casual. Love it.

Windstar is not like RCL. It is really different. Service is outstanding. Food is delicious. No long lines. The only thing that RCL does better is entertainment. Windstar does not have great entertainment.

But they do! I love the games they play after dinner in the Salon - last time we were on it was I think, 'Liars Club' - known in UK as 'Call my Bluff'. Great fun with everyone including the crew - joining in. They always have great musicians and singers as well.

There is no comparison. We had a total fo 115 people on board when we sailed from Athens to Venice in 2015. At times it felt like our own private yacht. One evening while anchored outside Hydra, we were the only ones on deck except for the bartender, as the sun set. It is a quiet low key experience. You can choose to dine as a couple of with other guests. There are no table assignments. The food and the service are excellent. As others have said, there is no constant sales pitch. Perhaps the only area which could be improved is the dvd library on board. The fact that the ships are small allows for very unusual itineraries. I have no desire to cruise on a mega ship. I live in a large city, so hanging out at close quarters with 6000 of my closest friends is not appealing.

Everybody is treated the same on Windstar. There is no tiered reward system, no special lines for "suites and elites", or any other class distinctions.

Windstar does have a past passenger rewards system called the Yacht Club. It only takes one cruise to become a member. After that the rewards are exactly the same for everybody that has completed at least one cruise. Each cruise has a brief welcome aboard cocktail party for Yacht Club members. That cocktail party and a free tote bag are the only things you'll miss out while onboard your first Windstar cruise.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

There are a few other benefits that aren't as well known. You get a return guest discount, you do have the opportunity to upgrade onboard if cabins are available (and once we were upgraded before the cruise). Generally they'll move you to a better cabin in the same grade or offer a fee to upgrade to a higher level. Again, not always available. When you pass a certain point you get invited to the Captain's table at a dinner - this happened to us about around the 7th cruise point. The other benefit, is that you get hugged by the wonderful crew when they see you board. ;)

No loud speakers, seldom if ever used, no pressure to buy anything, no riduculous games, when we are under sail, no motor, people whisper, small buffets at breakfast and lunch but there is a nice menu ( I detest buffetts ) , unbelievable laundry service reasonably priced, no lines, elegant but not ostentatious, no all day saving of chairs no need to, no formal nights. Plenty of loveliness, politeness, extraordinary service, plenty of privacy if you want it or socializing if you want that, civilized, fun. Small and beautiful. Plenty of perfect. Happy Sailing.

Sssh on the laundry pricing - truly a bargain that is even better if you plan for a cruise after a few days vacation. Arrive with dirty laundry and put it out to be washed. Then on the last full day have everything laundered that you aren't wearing, and you get to go home with a suitcase full of clean clothes. Out by 9, back by 4, so you still have plenty of time to pack.

I was on one itin where the speakers in the cabins were overused - "towel folding demonstration starting in the Show Lounge in 20 minutes..." I complained on the evaluation form and it hasn't been repeated, so I think it was a rogue activities director who hadn't gotten the message.They do announce things in the public areas, so if you're in the cabin in quiet mode they will bleed through, but softly and they've never actually disturbed me.

Occasionally they will announce very special things in the cabins along the lines of "there's a huge pod of whales just off the Starboard side." But those are infrequent and seem generally welcome.