Suite Furniture ~ Britannia

Big Foot

Not all aft suite balconies have the settee. We were in E743 at Xmas and no settee. [emoji22] Does anyone know if D deck have one - we have D738 this year[emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

We have D739 next week so will report back! I doubt if there is room for sofa though as the balconies are still quite narrow from what I can see on photos.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have D739 next week so will report back! I doubt if there is room for sofa though as the balconies are still quite narrow from what I can see on photos.

Very very long though.

:)

Not all aft suite balconies have the settee. We were in E743 at Xmas and no settee. [emoji22] Does anyone know if D deck have one - we have D738 this year[emoji41]

We have that one in October, I was getting excited about a sofa.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have that one in October, I was getting excited about a sofa.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am on her next Sunday I shall try to answer you questions.

Oh yes,................ plenty long enough for me and DW to both enjoy the balcony when we have fallen out !

There are even his and hers doors if necessary;)

:). :). :). :)

Yes from pics it looks a bit narrower than our E deck one. Look forward to seeing or hearing about the suite [emoji41]

• 3 weeks later...

:):)

Yes from pics it looks a bit narrower than our E deck one. Look forward to seeing or hearing about the suite [emoji41]

Ok D739.......

so the short answer is that D deck suites do not have the sofa as there is definitely not enough space. Nor E deck either from peering over the edge.

The suite itself grew on us over the trip, at first it seemed a bit messy design wise compared to the one we previously had midships which seemed much more logical and clean as a design. The size of the wrap around balcony however with sufficient depth for sun loungers was a clear winner even on a cruise where we were not blessed with the greatest of weather as the ability to take in the scenery across such a wide frontage was priceless. Over time the layout worked out better too than we initially thought it would.

This being cruise CRITIC though I need to flag some issues, though I preface them by saying we had a great cruise and would definitely book this suite again and provide them in the spirit of managing expectations.

The two main issues are soot, of which there was a lot and of which you need to be continually conscious and the distance from Epicurian. We are all pretty fit but the pre breakfast walk along D deck to the front stairs and up 4 decks would be challenging for some. Thankfully the front lifts are less well used than the centre bank but there are still longer than acceptable waits at all lifts on this ship. It would have been a more pleasant walk if you could have gone up and across the decks for a bit of fresh air on the way, however unless you want to walk through the zoo at feeding time, or the gym, the connectivity at high level is not very good.

Slightly more minor issues.

The bedroom is a bit soul less and really needs a picture on the side wall.

They have had problems with the venting of the fridge and the solution of removing it from the cabinetry and putting it in the knee space of the desk is FAR less than 5* ( sort it P&O it's rubbish).

We had to complain after DW got soaked for a second time by a cabin steward on C deck who thought throwing a bucket of water over the balcony was the best way to clean it! There is a gap under the balustrade with the inevitable results! be warned!

Shower pressure is pants but this seems fairly common on ships but the whirlpool bath is great once you get it filled and there is a good selection of movies to watch whilst you wait!

Canapés ………..inedible , frankly if that's the best they can do they may as well not bother.

One further word of warning is that D738 is above the smokers balcony at level 7 but I am pretty sure that you would not notice it at that height even when the ship is in port unless there was no wind at all. When the ship is underway I am sure there would definitely be no problem as there is a 20 knot breeze by default.

Sorry that became quite a list

So in the interests of balance

reports of bad vibrations - not noticed - maybe marginally more

reports of noise from the live lounge - nada

reports of overlooking - only if the people on C hang over the balcony and protection increases as you move toward the sides of the ship to full cover at the side.

Epicurean - brilliant

Glass House - superb

Atrium decor and public space furniture choices - excellent

Crows nest - amazing ( especially when the sun sets late and you are sailing out of the fiords).

Theatre - easy to get a seat in late show only 5 mins before start - the digital scenery is brilliant - the shows - well it depends on your tastes as always.

Drink prices - sensible

Service - pretty good throughout and excellent in places.

Sure you will have a brilliant time in D738 we certainly would book D739 again for any cruise with a scenic content. Maybe go back to the middle for more point to point cruises though due to the two main issues above.

Have a great time !

We have only been back a few days and are 'pining for the fiords':)

Edited by scifimonkey

Scifimonkey - thanks very much for this report 😎 seems pretty much as I thought.

I miss the outside dining in the Epicurean thats available on Azura and Ventura - being aft also makes it more accessible when in an aft suite too.

Although there was a bit soot was never much of a problem when we were on E deck so I wonder if the higher cabins get the worst of it?

Glad you had a great cruise. Looking forward to ours now ⛴

Scifimonkey - thanks very much for this report 😎 seems pretty much as I thought.

I miss the outside dining in the Epicurean thats available on Azura and Ventura - being aft also makes it more accessible when in an aft suite too.

Although there was a bit soot was never much of a problem when we were on E deck so I wonder if the higher cabins get the worst of it?

Glad you had a great cruise. Looking forward to ours now ⛴

Yes outside dining is not really catered for on britannia. The glass house could probably do it but it would be continually windy and the sunset bar area is mostly covered and very 'public'. I would suggest maybe making the sports court a bit more of an adaptable space with removable netting given that it cannot be used for its true purpose after 6pm as some numpty positioned it directly over the night nursery!! If not dining then maybe an outdoor cinema?

The soot is a conundrum. Some people have reported serious problems and others non at all.......

we wondered if it had something to do with air temperature with warmer cruises suffering less as the particles may fly further in warm air. Unfortunately I do not have the time or the inclination to track back the various threads to check the theory but I suspect the data is in the CC site somewhere.......

Many thanks scifimonkey. A great review. We will be in F730 corner aft suite, which has the same layout. I am hoping that Gymbod is right that the soot problem lessens the further down you get. Given that we are lower down, I remain concerned about noise from the Live Lounge and smelling smoke from the smoking area. I also hope that the smoking area doesn't become a source of noise late at night, given that the bedrooms are above it. I am hoping that the fact that the bedroom balcony doors on D and F deck face the corner rather than the side may make this slightly less of an issue, if indeed it is at all. I shall be sure to report back on these issues. My wife uses a wheelchair and we have also found Britannia lifts to be challenging, not least because fewer passengers tend to give priority to disabled passengers than we have experienced on other ships. Breakfast in the Epicurean is a major highlight of having a Suite for us, so I was pleased to hear that it's still excellent. I laughed at your comment about feeding time at the Zoo! Due to the wheelchair I think we will get the aft lift up to that level and then run the gauntlet through the buffet to get across to Epicurean. I guess when we get there it will make us appreciate it more! Shame to hear that the canapés are still rubbish, although in a way I am quite pleased, as they have become a standing joke in our family as to how bad they are! We have a good laugh every time they arrive. Besides, delivering them is the only thing we have found the Butlers do willingly. Taking advice from others (who have always had great Butlers), I have prepared a short list of requirements for them. Let's hope my (poor) opinion of them changes as a result.

We were on Britannia last week. Aft cabin G730. Thanks to this forum we knew about the soot. It didn't spoil our cruise,but for a new ship it surely should be easy to remedy. Some mornings appeared that a charcoal BBQ had taken place overnight. The cabin steward cleaned it every day. We used the blue towels to sit on,always sitting with their labels the same way . The cabin carpet was rather dirty at the door where had had been brought in on shoes and clothing. It's a shame they can't fix the problem. Aft cabins are magic ,but the soot became a bit of an issue

We were on Britannia last week. Aft cabin G730. Thanks to this forum we knew about the soot. It didn't spoil our cruise,but for a new ship it surely should be easy to remedy. Some mornings appeared that a charcoal BBQ had taken place overnight. The cabin steward cleaned it every day. We used the blue towels to sit on,always sitting with their labels the same way . The cabin carpet was rather dirty at the door where had had been brought in on shoes and clothing. It's a shame they can't fix the problem. Aft cabins are magic ,but the soot became a bit of an issue

Out of interest, how did you find the noise from the Live Lounge late at night, given that you were directly above it?

Out of interest, how did you find the noise from the Live Lounge late at night, given that you were directly above it?

Hi . Yes. It certainly was quite loud. Didn't stop us sleeping. We knew about it before we booked. It was louder in the bathroom !! The sea noise helped to drown it out

No noise on B deck.

We were on B deck, B724, for the six night cruise that ended this morning and we did hear music from the Live Lounge on a couple of nights. It wasn't intrusive more of a dull thud thud. It didn't stop us from sleeping. In May we were in a corner suite on A deck and didn't hear a thing.

We are in Dai's cabin in September, fantastic pictures, looks even better than I previously thought.

Is the soot much of a problem?we plan on having a few meals on the balcony.

Sorry but there. Is soot. However it was worse in the Fjords possibly as we were sailing more slowly and there was little wind.

Sorry but there. Is soot. However it was worse in the Fjords possibly as we were sailing more slowly and there was little wind.

We were on the same cruise and sadly have to confirm that there was quite a lot of soot both in th fiords and in the North Sea too.

Whilst it wasn't exactly floating down and landing in your drink it was pretty intrusive when we were on the move, visibly collecting on the screens of tablets left out for just a 1/2 hour or so.

If you do plan to dine out on the balcony make sure that it is given a really good clean by the steward immediately before, put clean towels or some protection over the furniture or be very selective about what you wear!

I hope that Dai and I were just really unlucky but the pin hole burns in the sun loungers tended to point to it being a more frequent problem.

It is not the be all and end all of the trip and both Dai and I have reported that we really enjoyed our cruise but having now experienced this issue first hand it goes into the category of things to plan around and if you are planning 'that special meal' I would book Epicurean rather than plan to have the meal on your balcony.

Get to know the Maitre D at breakfast and I am sure he will get you a nice window table for the evening!

My DW is insisting that we now try to get a similar suite for a summer trip to the Med or a winter trip to the Caribbean to test out the theory that the amount of soot is affected by the general air temperature........

Sounds scientific but she is really just angling for another cruise,,,,,,,,,,