Stores that carry "FIRE" season clothing

Joby

Wow, Kim! I'm so sorry y'all were sick. Not fun. At. All! Hope Cozumel was a great trip up until the epizootics took over. I had that several weeks ago and it was a monster to tame--two rounds of antibiotics, a steroid shot to the hip and a steroid z-pak later and two weeks of hacking up my lungs. Nope. Not fun.

What flavor ice cream did you eat while there? Did you revisit Mirador Chumul?

Pam, I love to plan my suitcase by spreadsheet. I don't love the numbers game as much as I enjoy filling in the sudoku. I've been working on a 52-item grid from TVF she mentioned a few weeks ago. Using a 12-13 item basic wardrobe for toppers, tops, dresses, and bottoms and then adding 15-17 summer items and 15-20 cold weather items to create the wardrobe. I've started by using PowerPoint slides to create a casual, work, and cruise 52-piece wardrobe. How many cruise days in each trip will determine how few/how many wardrobe items. Then, I'll fill out the spreadsheet. Depending on how each cruise day is structured, many casual dinner outfits are used in the following days for daywear. My spreadsheet is one of the most fun parts of cruise planning for me. Airplane outfit is the nucleus. Start from there and plan around it. Right? Let us know how it goes for you, OK?

Of course, my cup (and closets) runneth over, so the 52-item grid is another way to fool myself into culling my closets. The Marie Kondo idea of "hold it and see if it sparks joy" really works for DH, but I can easily talk myself into loving everything. That's how this stuff all came home to live with me in the first place! I've been working through my closets this season. If I put IT on and can't make myself wear it out of the house, IT goes away. That works for me. I still need to work through the last two feet of closet space, take out the winter stragglers that managed to be overlooked, and begin to take a really hard look at what I LOVE to wear. If I take everything out and only put back what I really, really, love to wear--my closets will begin to look like closets again and not the hoarder boxes they had become.

Laurie, I agree that I've decided my age will now work in my favor and I'm not afraid to be ME. If I want to wear my hair short (or not) or if I choose to forgo the cold shoulder phenom I see everywhere I turn, so be it. I'll wear red and purple and not belong to a club where I need to wear a big hat. I'll wear skorts to work and pretend they are skirts. Actually, I love that little joke for myself. I'll wear a skort while camping and let everyone around me think I'm camping in a skirt instead of wearing shorts like normal people. Ha! Part of my pixie style personality is the fact that I MUST have a quirky factor (even if I'm the only one that knows the joke.) I've fought against that for a very long time and it is so freeing to be able to wear something--just because I want to.

Sally, I think wearing what I thought I should is why I have closet orphans. I'm getting better about that. I hope. I know that J.Jill isn't for me. I wanted it and Eileen Fisher to be part of my wardrobe and I've bought a little EF that I must now decide if it can stay or must go away. I like the idea, but I don't think it suits me. I know the J.Jill catalog colors aren't for me unless I only want to wear ivory and I have plenty of that in my closet already. I wish I had been less influenced by others sooner.

Melody, I always take an emergency baggie that includes a wide-spectrum antibiotic and a steroid z-pak from our doctor. DH once asked why I bothered since we never seem to need it, but twice I have used it. I think of it as insurance. I don't want to NEED to use it, but I'll gladly let it ride along in the suitcase, if it means we avoid the yuckies.

Anita, I think you're right about accepting who you are. Now that I know who I am, I can get starting do just THAT!!!

Margaret, I think about you often. Godspeed.

Hey, Debbie. So many thoughts rattled through my head while reading your lovely post. Let me tell you the funniest one! When you were talking about wearing a skort and pretending it was a skirt? Well, that brought back a memory. At a Caribbean port we were having a beach day and I decided to wear an Athleta SwimDress. Thank you, Kim, for the laugh every time I wear one of these to remember to wear a bikini bottom with it. By the way, this is a combination that I absolutely love. So.... I'm lounging in a beach chair and by lounging I mean, really, really comfortable with my bottom on the chair and one leg propped up with my foot planted on the lounger and the other leg crossed over that one at the knee. Get the picture? Like really, really lounging. And then the realization hit me that people might not know I had on bikini bottoms and..... SO.... my lady parts might need to be a bit more protected? Decided I maybe didn't need to be THAT relaxed...as I adjusted myself to improve myself...

Omigosh. I've been through so many iterations of ways to search for something that would help me pinpoint my (?) style (?). I don't know if I'll EVER understand. I just like fun, quirky clothes. I love my T-shirts (the old Chat-Tees from Chico's)... the ones that have the lady doing "stuff" like visiting a museum, or sailing on a Venice canal, or sitting on a balcony writing a postcard from Paris. I absolutely adore them! I think of them as having just color in their graphics and pair them with bottoms that I think "work" with them and a layered jacket that hides a lot of the graphic and only allows a bit of color to pop through for the ensemble. To me, this is like wearing a witty joke and I love it. So, help me out. What does that say about my style? (or lack thereof?)...

And I'm really loving my spreadsheet. I gathered up my 12 items (from the formula calculation) and I'm easily able to make 9+ really varied looking ensembles from the items. I'm kind of pumped about all this!

Oh, I also remember something else I was going to tell you. I've been doing quite a bit of reading at so many locations I can't remember where I've read certain things. This may have been a comment on a Vivienne Files posting. Anyway... this lady had a packed closet and wanted to trim it down to those essential items as discussed on the matrix/grid postings. Her methodology was to take everything out of her closet and put it into another room. Then, when she was ready to get dressed, she went into the other room, searching for the item she had in mind. If she thoroughly enjoyed wearing it, she hung it back up in her closet. She repeated the process until she had acquired the number of items in her closet that was her goal to have. She then just boxed up everything left in the other room because she figured that if she didn't want to wear it during the culling procedure then it wasn't that important to her. Well, it's a method, right? To each his own? Just thought I'd share cause it seemed like her method was echoing a bit of what you describe you're doing.

At the end of the day? It's all FUN whatever way you choose to plan a trip. I know that Laurie and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum in planning for our respective trips. It's all very interesting to me.

My biggest issue is my toiletries. Omigosh, I'm a product junkie! I'm not so much about makeup, etc... as I am about lotions and potions. I am NOT a low maintenance girl when it comes to skin care. In fact, I was reading an article about HIGH maintenance skin care and thought... hmmm... that all sounds like what I do only they've left out a few steps! Uh Oh. Maybe I'm UBER HIGH maintenance skin care? And, I can't use the shampoo/conditioner/shower gel... for various reasons... provided by the hotel and cruise line. So.... <ugh>.... nuff said....

Pam , Don't forget that they do laundry on the ship and contrary to some people's opinions they do a decent job. I sent out laundry twice on our trip and the items came back neatly folded with no damage .I also firmly believe in the gym clothes for day option . I just pretend like I am on my way to the gym but I never get there . it works great for cruises with a lot of sea days .

Oooh, Sally. I know you or someone has mentioned that idea, but it just rang a bell in my head. I need to do this. Until last week, I didn't have anything I thought would work. Now I do. I know black and white isn't FIRE, but bottoms don't matter so much to me. I just wear a FIRE top and pretend everything is hunky-dory. Here's what I got:

https://www.talbots.com/online/sale/active-t-by-talbots/tulip-hem-capri-floral-print-prdi42662/N-10598+11844?selectedConcept=

Pam, I think what you are describing is what I'm allowed to wear. Graphic T over skort or jeans or capris with jean jacket or other topper? Yep. Like this? https://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=225305178

Ok, so now I have two distinct pictures in my head for swimdresses. FIRE ladies do definitely ROCK!!!

Had to share with my Fire ladies. My daughter & grand girl arrived in St Thomas today. This is the villa they're staying in with friends (3 families) cff3e5ccbc32e91e695b78d9a49db03f.jpg7b6b09aeef14054591ef08bf5d7bbe5e.jpg. The video didn't come out. She's jumping into the pool in her bright coral tankini (I wonder who might have gotten her that!). Her plane outfit was from Athleta Girl. Leggings, tank & swing sweatshirt. Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do like spreadsheets for certain things. Once I have all my outfits and accessories picked out, I do a spreadsheet in case I get confused while on my cruise. Sometimes, I never look at it because the amount of time spent picking the outfits make it hard for me to forget. At other times, I get it out to double check.

I spent some time figuring out daytime outfits for my upcoming September cruise. One thing for me is, if I get sweaty, I'm going to end up changing at some point. For example, after the rainforest hike in St. Kitts, there is a good chance I will shower and change once I'm back on board. So I have to anticipate that. I actually have a "hiking outfit" chosen, and then what I will change into after. Then it will be a dress for dinner.

When in Aruba, I was thinking of a beach day, but we are there from early in the morning until late at night. On that day, I will probably wear shorts and at top over my swimsuit to and from the beach. Then I will shower and change for the sunset catamaran sail that we are going on late in the day. We'll be back on board before our 8:30 dinner, so...then I'll change into a dress.

I think you get the idea. But I love planning all that out. It really builds the excitement, and once I get on the plane, I feel like all the planning is done and I can just enjoy.

I don't think I have any type of graphic t-shirt, Pam. Other than Red Sox or Syracuse Orange, I think the only shirt I have that even comes close is a t-shirt (my one and only non sport t-shirt) that says "All that wander are not lost". Everything else is solid, whether it be a basic knit or a work shirt. Then I have a handful of prints scattered in, but nothing that would be like a Chico's shirt.

Isn't it funny how all of our personalities go into different directions? I love it.

I got away from graphic tees...but now they are back! In the form of concert tees. We have seen SO MANY concerts. SO MANY. I mean...it's not TOO many, but it's close.

It's been an adventure to look at all the offerings for the concert tees and to really figure out which ones are ones that I would actually wear...and enjoy wearing. Black is a basic color for a concert tee...and I will admit that I purchased a couple...I'm wearing one right now! But it's a TANK...and it's a very fun graphic from Metallica...Hard Wired to Self Destruct! Black tank with a strong white graphic.

It's fun to wear the concert tees. We were out his evening...for whatever reason, the entire family was wearing concert tees. I mentioned my Metallica one. DH wore Lamb of God and DS was wearing Rolling Stones. DH had so many conversations today simply because people started talking to him because of his tee! It's pretty awesome actually when you are new to an area and you can have easy conversations with people simply because they feel comfortable approaching you because of your concert tee.

Anyway.

Debbie...I seriously need to look up your terminology. That was a fun outfit you posted a link to!

That is interesting, Anita, because I never really buy memorabilia type t-shirts. I do wear Syracuse shirts, but women's styling type - never the unisex basic ones. They are usually worn on travel days for a conversation piece. It's always fun to arrive at a hotel, and start a "where are you from" conversation.

Any suggestions for a replacement to Photobucket that's easy to use and free? Or less than $400.00 a year? How frustrating. I can't say I necessarily blame them. Many people have used them to post photos on Ebay and other sites for non personal use. It was only a matter of time.

I realized this morning when getting my spreadsheet ready that I did not finalize accessories for some of my dresses. Two were just picked in the last week, and one I wasn't sure on. I found it so interesting to realize how I could change to look of the outfit based on the shoe/jewelry combinations. I have one dress that I just am not sure of when it comes to choices. I just wasn't wowed, but I'm not worried about it because there are contenders.

The real issue is the teal formal night dress. I just don't seem convinced on what to do. For me, it's about creating a look or feeling, and I'm not getting that.

I'll post some pictures of each, if I have them on my phone, and maybe you all will have some ideas?

Laurie,

Other ladies may (probably will) have a different opinion about your teal dress, but here's mine... and why I think you're having some issues in choosing your jewelry for it.

I think that the style of that dress is absolutely beautiful on you. It's striking in its neckline and shoulder accents in the way that the straps fall. Also, it gives you a really beautiful silhouette.

BUT, if you start trying to add any sort of statement necklace, IMO you mess with the elegant lines of the dress and introduce way, way too much of what I would call "energy" to the piece. That dress has a very flowing, elegance... and a statement necklace would be like inserting a huge block of opposition to its flowing nature.

I think you'll either have to leave the neckline open and have some fun with some diminutive bracelets and chandelier earrings.... or maybe if you have a small chain pendant that has just a spot of color in a stone that you could also duplicate within a bracelet and have some stud earrings...

Anyway, it's just the way that I see that particular dress. Will be interesting to hear what others may see. And what opinions may be expressed that differ. But, I think that the dress, itself, just doesn't lend itself as readily to the type of accessorizing that you typically do (with much enthusiasm and wonderful results I will add!)....

I actually have a necklace that is rather bold that works well. But it isn't the look I want.

I tried pearls and it looks beautiful. However, I need them.to be warmer. I may actually try a few things on with it later to see. Earrings are tough...i have a very strong looming set of earrings and s bracelet I was considering, but the earrings are broken.

I'm in the shop your closet mode, but really. It's shop your jewelry armoire! 😁

If I see the right pearls, I would probably purchase them. (Costume jewelry)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I'm with Pam. I wouldn't overpower that stunning neckline with a big necklace. I'd do a dangly sparkly earrings & maybe a cuff or stone bracelet(s). If I did a necklace I'd do a small pendant or a choker. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I definitely don't want to do that, although there is one be necklace I have that works. That is why I was considering pearls. The ones I have are too white. I have a multistrand that is twisted with ivory and gold. If it were smaller scale it would work do I might start looking for something with pearls that is understated. Well, understated for me.

Would something like this be dainty and low key enough? I'm having trouble finding what I want in pearl.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/504669762/gold-bridesmaid-teardrop-jewelry-set?ref=shop_home_active_4

Really pretty, Laurie! LOVE the dress and the jewelry option.

Too bad I've been reacting to my costume jewelry these days or I'd love to buy that set.

Sorry I've been AWOL so long from this and the Earth thread. Life got in the way of participating, but I have been reading here and there.

I am still sticking, as much as possible, to my Earth colors. Still having a hard time finding & identifying them when they're not really obvious. I seem to wear a lot of shades of teal these days with navy(ish),denim, or cream/ivory/warmer beige bottoms (like some chino colors).

I'm mostly focusing on putting the best Earthy colors near my face and choosing bottoms that don't seem to clash. I'm sure much of my navy isn't really warm enough to be Earth, but it seems to work.

For some reason, I can wear shades of blue that don't seem to be Earth, as long as they're not the really powdery air colors. I wish Curt's color Earth cards gave more examples of blue options because I'm not that great at determining which colors "blend in".

We got some exciting news. Our middle daughter is expecting a baby boy next January! This will be our 3rd grandson. When I started posting on the original Seasons thread, it was the year before our oldest DD got married in 2011. She had 2 baby boys who are now 3 yrs old and almost 8 months! All are well. Our youngest son is still single but seriously dating.

Bad news is that I had to cancel our planned 1/21/18 Celebrity Eclipse cruise with our British cruising friends.

Great news is that Melody & her husband will be on our rescheduled date!

Hope all are doing well in our Earth & Fire worlds.

I'll try to chime in more often.

Jane

PS I wonder how Curt is doing? Must be very busy with his family and business.

Edited by JaneStarr
Oops...Just realized this is the Fire thread; not Earth!

I found this option too:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/225392159/bridal-jewelry-bridal-back-drop-necklace

I like the first one I posted a little more, I think. The reason being, this dress has a bit of a sweetheart neckline to it, and I like the idea that there is that drop in the front. Plus I like the earrings better.

On the other hand, the one I posted above is a bit more the overall styling I was thinking of. I have ordered from her before, and she sells very nice quality items and is very speedy. She sells pretty much dramatic bridal jewelry. That didn't quite come out right, but what I mean is that most of her things are very strong statement items.

At least I'm getting somewhere now. I would like to get it all figured out soon.

Laurie...those necklaces are both lovely. I think I prefer the choker style as opposed to the Y-style, though. I also like the pearls added into the choker. I definitely like the earrings with the choker better than the Y-style earrings...I like the longer dangle as well as the uniformity over the shorter dangle with the bigger thing at the ear lobe that the Y-style earrings have.

Laurie, before I read everyone else's suggestions, I was thinking to myself that I'd suggest costume chocolate diamonds--like costume Levians set in gold? They are my daughter's favorite and I think they might suit your EARTHiness and teal dress, maybe? It might be a fun alternative?

Debbie, thought about a chocolate diamond look myself. This is an option I was thinking of, but it was more formal than what I had in mind. I like strong jewelry, but I'm having some trouble putting my finger on exactly what I am thinking. chocolate pearls would nail it, but a basic strand is probably not my thing either...am I making any sense?

I did see this though, and my heart thumped a little harder:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/218036796/wedding-jewelry-set-bridesmaid-jewelry?ref=shop_home_active_31

Laurie, I have an iridescent peal choker (can't get picture of it as daughter #1 borrowed it for a formal wedding (her dress is almost the same color as the pearls, she's going for a monochrome look). I think it'd be stunning with that dress. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums