Seattle cruise port embark/debark questions

Hi, all. My husband and I are sailing on the Explorer of the Seas in Seattle for the Pacific coastal cruise September 15-22 (Friday-Friday). We're not new to Royal but have never sailed through Seattle before. How early can we arrive/embark? The ship is scheduled to leave at 4 pm. Trying to plan our transportation for the morning. Also, our flight home leaves Friday out of Seattle at 11:15 am. (Ship arrives at 6 am) Planning on doing luggage valet on ship and then carrying off small bags with first group. Will we be able to easily get a cab or would a car service be better? Does anyone have any other suggestions as far as transportation goes? Thank you so much!

I would take a later flight home if you can . What time does RCI recommend for flights to leave at. The cruise port is about an hour from pier. Being a Friday morning your probably closer to two hours to to the airport. Seattle airport security can be a zoo in the morning to get thru security.

Hi, all. My husband and I are sailing on the Explorer of the Seas in Seattle for the Pacific coastal cruise September 15-22 (Friday-Friday). We're not new to Royal but have never sailed through Seattle before. How early can we arrive/embark? The ship is scheduled to leave at 4 pm. Trying to plan our transportation for the morning. Also, our flight home leaves Friday out of Seattle at 11:15 am. (Ship arrives at 6 am) Planning on doing luggage valet on ship and then carrying off small bags with first group. Will we be able to easily get a cab or would a car service be better? Does anyone have any other suggestions as far as transportation goes? Thank you so much!

Hi,

I'm on that sailing as well and we have a really active roll call going. Lots of the people on the roll call have done this sailing before and have lots of good advice. If you haven't joined yet here's the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2322249

Come join and ask away.

I would take a later flight home if you can . What time does RCI recommend for flights to leave at. The cruise port is about an hour from pier. Being a Friday morning your probably closer to two hours to to the airport. Seattle airport security can be a zoo in the morning to get thru security.

RCL recommends after 11:30. Google maps shows a 30 minute drive from Port of Seattle to SeaTac. We have done this route before and even on a commute day, it wasn't more than 40 minutes. We are on the Sept 22nd sailing and have our flight for 11:40.

We had a Friday morning arrival in port in May. Walked off with our luggage around 7am... got a cab right away and were at the airport with 3 hours to spare before our 11:45am flight. We were also worried about the rush hour traffic, but was not a problem that day.

The airport is only about 20 mins south of Seattle and you will be going the opposite way of commute traffic. Most taxis and private cars already know to take the 509 freeway, which runs west of the I-5...getting over to I-5 would take up a majority of time. I think your 11:15 flight will be fine.

I would take a later flight home if you can . What time does RCI recommend for flights to leave at. The airport is about an hour from pier. Being a Friday morning your probably closer to two hours to to the airport. Seattle airport security can be a zoo in the morning to get thru security.

more like 1/2 hr

I thought the port of Seattle was starting a luggage transfer service?

Read it here not too long ago.

Yeah there are a couple of threads about it on the West Coast departure boards. Maybe it's different from luggage valet....

We sailed in June on Explorer, the luggage service is available they give you a form to fill out the ship prints your tags and boarding passes and you meet your luggage at final destination. Well worth it in my opinion. This is for flights after 11am I believe.

I believe it is possible to make an 11am flight, just opt for self disembarkation around 6;30, if you have booked transportation in advance it is much faster to get out of port area. We made it to the airport by 8:30 but our flight wasn't until 2:00.

We were on this cruise last year and will repeat it this year on the 9/22 departure.

If you're booked on Delta, Delta set up a luggage drop at the pier, opposite the embark building across from the drive up/drop off. At least it was there last year. If Delta you may want to check into that.