Reasonable Hotel near Cape Liberty

maladigiz

four of us will be cruising out of Cape Liberty in October and wondering if anyone can recommend a reasonable hotel (around CDN $150 plus tax) that is near the port but also near public transit in to New York. Suggestions would be welcome.

four of us will be cruising out of Cape Liberty in October and wondering if anyone can recommend a reasonable hotel (around CDN $150 plus tax) that is near the port but also near public transit in to New York. Suggestions would be welcome.

How much is $150 CDN? About $115?

What exact date do you need a hotel? Are you flying or driving? If you're flying, is public transit + local cab or Uber an option to the port?

Also can you do 2 double beds or do you need another bed configuration?

Edited by 138east

Yes 150 CDN would be around 115 USD. We would be flying in on Oct 21 and staying for 2 nights before sailing on the 23rd. Two rooms with two beds in each.

$115 USD is going to be tough.

More details please. You're doing the Vision repo? How are you planning to get to the port? Taxi/car service runs $55-70 USD and might not be able to accommodate 4 people and luggage. Staying at EWR and taking the train to NYC is $13/pp each way. If you stay in Newark, it's $5.25 pp each way. Could you manage your luggage on public transit to go to the port? From Newark this costs $5/pp plus taxi/Uber into the port for about $20-25 for 4 people.

Hi 138East

Sorry to butt into the thread but need your help too

We are a couple based in the UK and my wife wants to make sure we don't have any problems

We are coming to New York in March 2018, not sure yet if we are going to fly into JFK or Newark, we will make our decisions on your answers

Our main concern is which airport we fly home from -

We are looking at a day flight from JFK leaving at 12 Noon, our ship docks on a Friday morning at 6am,

Will we have enough time to leave ship carrying our own luggage and get to JFK by taxi or Limo to get at terminal by 9.30am

If you think that is tight, do hotels near Newark offer day rooms ?

To Mark: an issue for weekday travel from Cape Liberty to JFK is traffic. Back-up at the Holland Tunnel (connecting NJ/NY) can easily be over half an hour. Weekends should be better. A noon flight is doable without any major delays.

Hi 138East

Sorry to butt into the thread but need your help too

We are a couple based in the UK and my wife wants to make sure we don't have any problems

We are coming to New York in March 2018, not sure yet if we are going to fly into JFK or Newark, we will make our decisions on your answers

Our main concern is which airport we fly home from -

We are looking at a day flight from JFK leaving at 12 Noon, our ship docks on a Friday morning at 6am,

Will we have enough time to leave ship carrying our own luggage and get to JFK by taxi or Limo to get at terminal by 9.30am

If you think that is tight, do hotels near Newark offer day rooms ?

I think that's tight for non-US citizens to make an international flight from JFK on a Friday morning. You could probably make it, but not if anything goes wrong.

http://Www.dayuse.com

• 2 weeks later...

We are also going on the Vision repositioning cruise, flying into Newark on the 22nd. My plan is to use Hotwire or Priceline Express. Looks like you can get some pretty affordable rooms that way. You pick what star hotel and location you want. They then assign you a hotel. We have done that in many cities with few problems. Then we plan on ubering to the port on Monday.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are also going on the Vision repositioning cruise, flying into Newark on the 22nd. My plan is to use Hotwire or Priceline Express. Looks like you can get some pretty affordable rooms that way. You pick what star hotel and location you want. They then assign you a hotel. We have done that in many cities with few problems. Then we plan on ubering to the port on Monday.

What is your hotel budget?

Newark is a highly industrialized urban area. I don't recommend Hotwire/Priceline for getting an unnamed hotel in this area. A cheap hotel at EWR is just that - a cheap hotel. An expensive hotel is still an "airport" hotel. I personally use Hotwire a lot and recommend it all the time for Boston, but not Newark, NJ.

There are few dining options at the airport. Hotels which offer free breakfast usually don't have restaurant service and unless you stay on International Boulevard in Elizabeth, there are no restaurants to walk to unless they are in a neighboring hotel.

Look at United.com for well priced hotels for your date and post back with questions about the hotels you are interested in and any other requirements you may have. If you want to stay in Downtown Newark, I would recommend the Robert Treat at $104 + tax. At the airport the Doubletree is well priced and is full service.

Thanks for the info. What about using Hotwire or Priceline Express for a hotel in the Jersey City area? I really don't want to spend more than 115 plus tax. I usually go with hotels that are 3 star or higher. I will look at United.com.

Thanks for the info. What about using Hotwire or Priceline Express for a hotel in the Jersey City area? I really don't want to spend more than 115 plus tax. I usually go with hotels that are 3 star or higher. I will look at United.com.

I don't think you'll find a 3* hotel in Jersey City for that price that you want to stay in. Holland Motel might be in this category, but it's on the major road that leads to the Holland Tunnel entrance and the area has constant traffic noise and is scuzzy. Get over letting Hotwire or Priceline pick your hotel in this area. There's a reason these places are cheap and being sold "blind". Both the Robert Treat and the Doubletree are under $115. I have stayed at both properties.

Don't forget to consider your Uber costs. Staying in Jersey City is two Uber rides because none of those hotels have an airport shuttle. The two hotels I suggested you consider offer a free airport shuttle and they are both full service hotels.

Update: when I use Priceline Express, I am usually able to figure out what the mystery hotel is by comparing "percentage offs", number of stars, guest ratings, and location. Plus, I check out Uber costs behorehand, since for 2 people, it is usually cheaper than the hotel shuttle (x2.) Well, that is what I did and guessed the hotel correctly. I got the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel in Weehawken. It is 3 1/2 star on Priceline. The regular price was $239 on most sites and I got it for $96. The UberX price from the hotel to the cruise terminal was $18-24. From the airport to the hotel it was just slightly more. We are not sure of our plans that day before the cruise, but it appears there is plenty to do in the area including a convenient ferry to NYC. I am originally from NY and love it, but not so sure I can convince my husband who I have taken a couple times. We shall see. Btw, Wifi is free in the public area, but 9.95/night if we choose to get it. I signed up as a Starwood's Preferred Guest. Maybe that will help, but wifi is not the be all, end all. I realize it is not the "closest" hotel, but we have plenty of time to get to the ship on cruise day.

Update: when I use Priceline Express, I am usually able to figure out what the mystery hotel is by comparing "percentage offs", number of stars, guest ratings, and location. Plus, I check out Uber costs behorehand, since for 2 people, it is usually cheaper than the hotel shuttle (x2.) Well, that is what I did and guessed the hotel correctly. I got the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel in Weehawken. It is 3 1/2 star on Priceline. The regular price was $239 on most sites and I got it for $96. The UberX price from the hotel to the cruise terminal was $18-24. From the airport to the hotel it was just slightly more. We are not sure of our plans that day before the cruise, but it appears there is plenty to do in the area including a convenient ferry to NYC. I am originally from NY and love it, but not so sure I can convince my husband who I have taken a couple times. We shall see. Btw, Wifi is free in the public area, but 9.95/night if we choose to get it. I signed up as a Starwood's Preferred Guest. Maybe that will help, but wifi is not the be all, end all. I realize it is not the "closest" hotel, but we have plenty of time to get to the ship on cruise day.

That's a great score, but you did choose a 3.5* hotel, which is the lowest category I would ever choose in these areas. You also have the advantage of being from NY and better understanding the overall area.

The price was $96, but what were the taxes and fees?

That's a great score, but you did choose a 3.5* hotel, which is the lowest category I would ever choose in these areas. You also have the advantage of being from NY and better understanding the overall area.

The price was $96, but what were the taxes and fees?

The taxes and fees were 20+ dollars, but that would be the same regardless of where I booked, since it is based on local and state fees. Yes, I looked at 3 Star and above and chose the 3 1/2 star.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 months later...

Just an FYI, the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor in Weehawken via Priceline Express ($96) worked out great! They have a ferry to Manhattan right outside the door, which made for a great day of sightseeing before the cruise. The Lyft to the cruise terminal at Cape Liberty was around 30 dollars after applying a coupon. You can usually predict the hotel on PLE by looking at the area, star number, review rating, and per cent off the regular price and comparing it to the regular PL rates. Just thought I would share this. Currently on the Vision of the Seas repositioning to Galveston.