First cruise with costa, AND I'M SCARED!

namwicha

Ok, I have booked a cruise on Costa for December '16. While I have cruised many times on many ships with several lines (Carnival, Norwegian, Princess, RCL) this will be my first outing with Costa and so I am doing my research. This has been overwhelming. The negatives FAR outweigh the positives. BY A LOT. Most of the posters complain about bad service, uncaring staff, money grubbing policies, rude staff, limits on access to basics (water, coffee, tea) unresponsive staff, poor quality food, limited dining choices (buffets limited times) , confusing choices, lack of communication, lack of information, THE DAMN STAFF. The list goes on. I am aware that people are far more likely to air their grievances than sing praises: if you had a good time, good- if you had a bad time, teach them a lesson! But still, come on, Costa.

Add to this the fact that The ONLY opinion I can get, across the internet is from haters. The Costa site is a JOKE. Very little information, confusing at best, unclear and incomplete. Though it is in English if you choose, clearly it is not aimed at me. If you have booked a cruise with any major line serving the USA you can access information regarding dining (sample menus on any ship, any restaurant), drinking (clear packages, wine lists, beverages, etc) services (spa, flowers, in room) and excursions ( for every port) . At best the information provided is spotty,

Policies: What is the tipping policy- some say US booked cruises can refuse the mandatory tip charge and tip individually, others deny this. Some say there is a US water policy (free at lunch and diner), others say no. What does Costa say? Good luck trying to find out.

I guess, what I'm getting at is this: WHAT THE HELL, COSTA- Don't you care.

And why should I give you my hard earned money for a 27 day 'cruise from hell'. Do you read and respond to any critique of your service, or has the bar been set so low you don't have to care. It would be one thing if I booked a cruise on a low budget, dirt cheap "Euro Ferry" for bargain hunters, But I haven't- I'm paying top dollar.

Am I wasting my money?

any response, anyone?

Costa is an Italian company, so if you want to enjoy European culture, manners etc. then go.

If you are wanting an American Cruise experience on an Italian ship then DON'T go.

Don't forget all the reviews you have read have been from English speakers who form only a very tiny fraction of the actual passengers, Europeans will not have heard of Cruise Critic.

Most negative reviews can be broken down into 3 main reasons:

A. The passenger has a real problem or grievance.

B. The passenger is bummed because they didn't get a free upgrade, no lobster at dinner, waiters do not speak good enough English (the passenger should out their English and accent on another passenger who has English as their mother tonque - see the reaction).

C. Passengers wanting to experience European cutlure on land, but come back to an"American Cruise Bubble onboard, they want their towel animals, chocolate on the pillow, being allowded to go to the MDR in shorts and T-shirt.

Why didn't you do the rearch before booking?

How can we help you? It sounds like your research is telling you that this is not the cruise for you, that the reviews are mostly negative and you cannot figure out their policies.

I do have a friend who travels extensively and is very cosmopolitan, yet down to earth at the same time, who cruised Costa and would never go again. Her comment was that the food was horrible and she really missed the level of service that she expected from Celebrity and Princess.

GMT- I'm a little confused, still. I guess the basic question is does the quality of the experience have to vary so greatly between "European expectations" and "American expectations" . I expect a quality experience for quality money. Europeans Should expect the same quality experience for their quality money. It should not be a matter of what they are willing to accept for the money. Why should Costa be able to get away with, seemingly unconcerned, providing such a sub standard product because they cater to a different audience? OR am I being fooled by their lack of commitment to me 9 MONTH prior to my cruise by NOT providing intelligible information. Maybe it really IS all that. But should I have to commit upwards of $10000 to find out? On my own? with no help from them? Understandably, you would hope people who have been on their line, experienced their attitude and been wowed by their experience would be more kind in their opinion . My problem is I understand what opinions are worth- everybody has the right to accept them, believe them or leave them. Thus the struggle.

I should also say at this point it is not JUST disgruntled passengers . One recent poll put them at the BOTTOM of the list- the worst cruise line. Ouch. If you track the timelines on the reviews, the quality has gotten worse over the past 10 years. I understand the reviews are coming from the American market. Does anyone know how to get some European opinions?

This doesn't make sense.

Thanks for the feedback. I am a world traveler as well. well versed in European ways, worldwide cultures, cities, country, diversity, etc. I tend to discount the opinions of people who don't seem to much understand or care for "foreigners" as not being important to my experience. Those who grumble they didn't like their fellow passengers for one reason or another are entitled to their opinion, but the world is thus. My concern is I am paying Audi money, I don't shouldn't have to accept a VW. (no offence to either car company)

I have never cruised Costa but since your trip is 8 or 9 months away and you have so many concerns, is it possible for you to cancel and rebook on another cruise line?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the feedback. I am a world traveler as well. well versed in European ways, worldwide cultures, cities, country, diversity, etc. I tend to discount the opinions of people who don't seem to much understand or care for "foreigners" as not being important to my experience. Those who grumble they didn't like their fellow passengers for one reason or another are entitled to their opinion, but the world is thus. My concern is I am paying Audi money, I don't shouldn't have to accept a VW. (no offence to either car company)

I'm guessing you are before final payment...if it were me and I was so worried about the quality of my upcoming cruise experience, I would cancel now and select another cruise line. That is just my opinion. I have never cruised Costa so no idea what the line is like but you are expressing serious doubts about it so that is why I'm suggesting to select a different line.

Ok, I have booked a cruise on Costa for December '16. While I have cruised many times on many ships with several lines (Carnival, Norwegian, Princess, RCL) this will be my first outing with Costa and so I am doing my research. This has been overwhelming. The negatives FAR outweigh the positives. BY A LOT. Most of the posters complain about bad service, uncaring staff, money grubbing policies, rude staff, limits on access to basics (water, coffee, tea) unresponsive staff, poor quality food, limited dining choices (buffets limited times) , confusing choices, lack of communication, lack of information, THE DAMN STAFF. The list goes on. I am aware that people are far more likely to air their grievances than sing praises: if you had a good time, good- if you had a bad time, teach them a lesson! But still, come on, Costa.

Add to this the fact that The ONLY opinion I can get, across the internet is from haters. The Costa site is a JOKE. Very little information, confusing at best, unclear and incomplete. Though it is in English if you choose, clearly it is not aimed at me. If you have booked a cruise with any major line serving the USA you can access information regarding dining (sample menus on any ship, any restaurant), drinking (clear packages, wine lists, beverages, etc) services (spa, flowers, in room) and excursions ( for every port) . At best the information provided is spotty,

Policies: What is the tipping policy- some say US booked cruises can refuse the mandatory tip charge and tip individually, others deny this. Some say there is a US water policy (free at lunch and diner), others say no. What does Costa say? Good luck trying to find out.

I guess, what I'm getting at is this: WHAT THE HELL, COSTA- Don't you care.

And why should I give you my hard earned money for a 27 day 'cruise from hell'. Do you read and respond to any critique of your service, or has the bar been set so low you don't have to care. It would be one thing if I booked a cruise on a low budget, dirt cheap "Euro Ferry" for bargain hunters, But I haven't- I'm paying top dollar.

Am I wasting my money?

any response, anyone?

Sums up Costa! But I love 'em and their ships!

4th Cruise in two years with them in 3 weeks time!

But the positives

Price

Better itineraries than most!

Large cabins

Great shows

Take a look at my first three review! What's not to like?

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=266&t=8937

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=266&t=9610

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=266&t=10245

Will be writing another about our travels on Costa Meditterranea when we return late April 30th! Keep your eyes peeled!

I have no doubt it will be a great cruise because no matter, we will make it a great cruise! THink you should adopt a similar attitude and you will have a great time despite yourself!

Yes! However, it is because you are expecting an American mass market cruiseline. It is an Italian cruiseline. Your expectations should be "I am visiting Italy." It will be a totally different experience. Socializing might be difficult because of the language difference (don't blame the cruiseline if you can't speak Italian). As for food, expect less meat and potatoes and more seafood, but great pasta and gelato. Don't get grossed out if your fish comes with the head intact. You don't have to eat the head. Quite a bit of the world have fish served with the head intact. Most Asians consider Costa food much better than the other mass market cruiselines. Last November was our first Costa cruise on the Costa NeoRiviera. It wasn't the best cruise ever, but we enjoyed it and we didn't pay that much. We realized that they weren't as bad as everyone says, but they are different. For a point of reference, we are elite on Princess and have sailed on RCCL, Carnival, and Oceania. In fact, in a few weeks, we will be boarding the Oceania Marina. We are planning another Costa cruise for May 2017 if they ever get their 2017-18 schedule out.

Thanks, all for the encouragement. It is good to hear some positives. As mentioned later I am a seasoned traveler who has experienced expensive European travel, backpacking, Asian explorations, South American sojourns and Caribbean camping trips. This trip is Transatlantic, so I look forward to revisiting Europe, speaking the language, visiting the countries, then crossing the Atlantic. Half of the time I will be at sea. I'm not bothered by other nationalities, rather, well, that's why I travel. I am a chef by trade. I have eaten things that, well I think should not be part of the food chain. When the suckling pig is served whole with the head on I say, dig in. If it is poorly cooked and inedible, well, that's different. If it is served at times that are inconvenient to eat it I say there is something wrong. And if I have to pay for the plate it is served on additionally or say water, I question the business model this is based on. And if enough people spread the word that this is an inferior product, well..... I mean, the Italian experience should be able to produce edible pasta. Some reviews said no!

Then, if I cant get information from the purveyor (costa) it does seem questionable. So I am very grateful for all the feedback. I will continue to do my homework. The price is not that great, not like flying Ryan Air. It's still expensive. But the itinerary is very attractive. Thankfully, some positive feedback is steering me back.

G.M.T. was the only European who responded. What do Euros think of this cruise line? Is it more than the cheap prices that keep it going?

Again, thanks for all the feedback.

I agree, it sounds like the OP is a poor fit for Costa, cancel the cruise and find an agent who can give you accurate information so you can make an informed choice. The one you have clearly did not do their job.

Edited by Dancer Bob

Dear Namwicha

I feel that it might help if I input here to try to allay your fears.

Yes I am a Euro [british] and have experience of American and European shipping lines, there is not much difference really, you will get good service and an excellent holiday on the Costa ship.

In 2012 we booked a 1 week cruise on the Costa Atlantica from Limassol, we live in Cyprus so it is only 45minutes to the port so very handy for us. We were really wowed by the decor of the ship all that Glass and Marble it is really something to behold. The staff showed us to our stateroom as is the norm and were very courteous.

The ship has over 2,500 passengers that were mostly European cousins from France, Germany and Italy; we as British were in the minority as will be expected from an Italian owned cruise line.

All the staff spoke excellent English, most of the wait staff, bar staff and cabin staff are from the Indian sub continent or from Asia we had no problem communicating with them at all they spoke great English, the senior staff all spoke English very well.

On Most cruse lines English is the only Unifying Language, on our recent Azamara Quest cruise, they have about 70 different nationalities working aboard, they all spoke English.

The ship was a very busy one, there was a lot going on with the animations team doing the entertaining and a a lot of locations it became crowded, I don't like crowds so I tend to avoid them.

The Buffet dining was a problem partly because of the Layout of the serving areas also our European Cousins do not like to wait their turn so they push in line to get served first; I suggest if this is a problem go early or later to the buffet to have an easier time, alternatively find somewhere quieter like the Pool Bar or MDR.

The entertainment aboard is mostly non-Linguistic Because of the many different languages of the passengers the shows are Singing, Dancing, Juggling [one was with Live Chainsaws!] and Acrobatics. The bars all had music in them, mostly live music which could be over loud sometimes but it was entertaining.

We went on some Excursions on the Cruise and yes we did find that one was cancelled in Heraklion to Knossos because not enough English speakers were on the tour. We now research before the cruise to see if there are any trips being organised through CC and the role-call or what the main attractions are in the ports of call. In most cities these days there is a Hop on Hop off bus that will take you around the main sights so you can make the day of your visit. I spend a lot of time doing this research, it has proved very valuable.

Like life, there will be things that you will not be happy with but we can live with it, if asked to rate this cruise I would give it 8/10. We did a MSC cruise in 2013 which we would rate lower primarily that the crew weren't very happy, but that is another story.

As a closing comment, on the last but one night before we debarked the ship, the Mater'd came to us and asked that because we were English, an Indian Chef had asked if we would like a special Curry prepared for our last night aboard, as they know us Brit's like a good Curry, we accepted the offer and it was great. That is what I call thoughtful good service.

I hope this helps with your future thoughts for your Up coming cruise. We have seen the MS Deliziosa cruise from Miami to Venice in March next year... we are tempted, we shall see

Good Luck with your further plans.

Gary

Gary, Thank you very much. Very helpful. It seems from your perspective that Costa Does strive to put forth a quality product. That's all I'm hoping for, It's up to me to enjoy it. enjoy your future travels.

Namwicha,

I am in the same boat as you (not literally, of course). I have booked my first Costa Cruise because it is the only one that fits the dates, and departure port I need to meet another cruise. After booking it, I looked at the reviews and started to get very nervous. However, I decided to go, and form my own opinions and if I don't like it, I won't go again. For me, it is really just a good way to get around Europe without the hassle of planes, trains, hotel changes etc. So I am choosing to look at it as my floating hotel, and not as my primary holiday. I share your frustration with the lack of information on the Costa site and on these boards. But I have received some feedback, like you have, that it will not be as bad as we imagine!

I am going to have some backup plans in place, in case my shore excursions get cancelled, but other than that..at least I am prepared for what some of the differences are. It seems like a lot of people were not aware that the experience would be different on this line and therefore their expectations, based on other lines, were not met.

Go and have a great time! I am planning on it!:):)

You are welcome Nanwicha we hope you do enjoy your trip.

Just to help this is a video on Youtube of the Costa Atlantica we travelled on

You may have already but there are lots of films of the cruise ships on You Tube [as well as destinations] with reviews I use Popular Cruising videos to get a really good 'quality video' idea of the ships, they also publish newsletters if you subscribe to their channel.

Happy Viewing

Gary

Ok, I have booked a cruise on Costa for December '16. While I have cruised many times on many ships with several lines (Carnival, Norwegian, Princess, RCL) this will be my first outing with Costa and so I am doing my research. This has been overwhelming. The negatives FAR outweigh the positives. BY A LOT. Most of the posters complain about bad service, uncaring staff, money grubbing policies, rude staff, limits on access to basics (water, coffee, tea) unresponsive staff, poor quality food, limited dining choices (buffets limited times) , confusing choices, lack of communication, lack of information,

Am I wasting my money?

any response, anyone?

In february I was a week onboard Fortuna from Dubai, og we loved it!

And we want to do that cruise again.

I paid less for a balcony that RCCL wanted for an inside for the same cruise.

I had a premium cabin, and that is very important, because then you get free og good breakfast in your cabin.

All costa ships are looking very beatiful, and everything you are used to se aboard a american cruise ship can be found on every costa ship.

There will always be something to eat onboard.

You can have basic breakfast in the cabin, and it quite good.

Breakfast in the bufet, is also very, but basic. Then you have the breakfast in the restaurant.

Costa is not about the food, it is about see some new ports at a low-cost.

Lunch is either sit-down in the restaurant, have som burgers and fries at the pool, or find something in the bufet. Mostly pizza and past and desserts.

Food at dinner is from ok to very, very good.

Appertisers/starters can be small, but just order two or three, a salad and a main course, and your going to be fine.

Want some food later, then the pizza is one of the best ever on a cruise ship, only 5 euro, and made like you want it.

Something new for costa is a small part of dinner-meny when you can order for some few euro. 5 euro for parma-ham and cheese was something we ordered every night.

Want more up-scale food? Then you go to the pay-restaurant :)

Cost is not known for having the best web-site or most information online.

All you need to know will be found aboard.

You get a lot of info when your are boarding, more info will be in your cabin, and there are totems everywhere with tonns of infomation.

The easiest is to buy a drinking-package, and there are bars "everywhere".

On Fortuna/costa ships guest-service, bar and place where you buy sigthseeingtours is like one place, and if you start there after boarding, you will find everything you need to know about everything.

Sightseeingtours will be in english if there are enough people who speaks english that want to take that sightseeing-tour.

Most of the time, don't book before you go on cruise. I got 10% discount when buying a 5-tour-package.

You don't book costa if you want to be grumpy all day and hate everybody that don't are americans.

You book costa if you want to have a relaxing time, with a lot to see, and with a lot of happy and dancing people around you.

Just to help you out. Savona is just a cut above Citavecchia or Los Angeles as a departure port. Don't overnight here. Stay in Nice or Genoa and do a pre-cruise from either city (you probably have to fly into one or the other anyway). When I had a pre-cruise with 3 nights in Nice and 2 nights in Genoa. My wife and I really enjoyed both city, but Genoa is one where you have to really do your homework to really enjoy it. But, it is a base where you can visit Portofino (only in the morning, very harsh shadows in the afternoon on a sunny day) or Cinque Terre. From Nice you could visit Eze, Monte Carlo, or St. Paul du Vence. However, for both cities, Nov. and Dec. are their low season, i.e. rainy season. If you are going to fly into Nice on the day of cruise (like most Europeans, but not recommended for you), take the Costa bus transfer. I believe it is a 2 1/2 hour bus ride, but ride on the starboard side of the bus for the most scenic bus transfer in the world. For a preview, see the movie, "To Catch A Thief".

excellent information. I have always maintained a good attitude overcomes almost all. Why go on vacation to be grumpy and at odds with everyone? Finally I can breath a sigh of relief and look forward to my vacation. Now I just have to wait!

Just did a Costa cruise a couple of weeks ago.

The tips were added to your card nightly and you can get a printout of your expenditures from the kiosks anytime.

If you booked on the US sight you will have waterUSA marked on the back of your card. This entitled you to bottled water in the MDR. I never tried to use it at the buffet as there was a water station available.

Shore excursions in English were indeed cancelled due to lack of sign-up but the NeoClassica only has 1300+ passengers I would doubt that excursions on a larger ship would not have at least 1 english excursion (most popular) per port. The make-up of our cruise based on the attendance at the shows were 35% French, 35% italian, 15% german, 10% british, 5% other.

Bottom line is "you're in Europe" and must adapt and experience it. If you expect Europe to adapt for you, you won't have a good time.

here's a link to my "quick" review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...82&postcount=8

Edited by lamchops

I think the lack of English language reviews is the main problem. In general people leave reviews when they are negative and want to rant, combine that with the fact that English speakers on Costa are a minority then there you go. I'm in love with Costa. I went on my first cruise on the Mediterranea and it blew all those negative reviews out of the water. I'm going on the Diadema next week. I also took a carnival cruise to the Caribbean last month to see what was so amazing about American cruises and putting it bluntly, I was disgusted. I'm glad my first cruise was on Costa because if it was on carnival it would have been a one and done. Go with an open mind and have fun. I love Italian culture (that's why I married one) so I enjoy the food and social life on Costa. If you want to read all the good reviews of Costa use google translate and read the Italian ones. I'm an American btw but have lived my adult life in Europe for reference.

GMT- I'm a little confused, still. I guess the basic question is does the quality of the experience have to vary so greatly between "European expectations" and "American expectations" . I expect a quality experience for quality money. Europeans Should expect the same quality experience for their quality money. It should not be a matter of what they are willing to accept for the money. Why should Costa be able to get away with, seemingly unconcerned, providing such a sub standard product because they cater to a different audience? OR am I being fooled by their lack of commitment to me 9 MONTH prior to my cruise by NOT providing intelligible information. Maybe it really IS all that. But should I have to commit upwards of $10000 to find out? On my own? with no help from them? Understandably, you would hope people who have been on their line, experienced their attitude and been wowed by their experience would be more kind in their opinion . My problem is I understand what opinions are worth- everybody has the right to accept them, believe them or leave them. Thus the struggle.

I should also say at this point it is not JUST disgruntled passengers . One recent poll put them at the BOTTOM of the list- the worst cruise line. Ouch. If you track the timelines on the reviews, the quality has gotten worse over the past 10 years. I understand the reviews are coming from the American market. Does anyone know how to get some European opinions?

This doesn't make sense.

As the old saying goes "You get what you pay for".

English speakers, especially Americans make up a very small percentage of Costa passengers and only a very small percent will pot a negative review (see my meaasge above for the reasons). Costa ships, especially in the Meditteranean sail at almost 100% capacity, year in year out, also they are getting 4 new ships, so they must be doing something right to please Carnival Corp.

For $10000 you can buy a Costa ship.

When you cruise with Costa, not knowing what is going to happen next is the Costa way. Its also the Italian way. We love it!

Been cruising Costa for a few years now, having read your concerns, if I was you, as you seem to prefer a more organised and regulated process, probably best you move to another cruise company.

We are off again shortly and I'd hate to see you standing at the reception counter wasting your cruise time.

Its a very nice way to travel from destination to destination rather than the full on board "experience" you seem to get on your American cruise lines. Ive watched the "experiences" on youtube vids and have to say thats not a way we would want to travel. But then again perhaps there is a lesson for both of us. What we see and read may not actually be the experience we will get......

Each to his own.......

Namwicha

If you are used to being served in English you will find most of the staff have a basic knowledge which should be adequate. They certainly understood my English better than my Italian. The problem is that if anything does go wrong you can find yourself having to work quite hard to get anywhere. On our first ever cruise on the Mediterranea the DW slipped a disc and was in agony - in the end could not lie down and hence we had to abort the cruise. The Costa medical team spoke no English and communication with our Insurance company was difficult. We had to arrange everything back to England ourselves; they did not even tell us there was a shuttle bus from Savona to Nice airport, so we did that ourselves by two taxis and two trains (just). Got the slightest impression they thought we were faking it.

Even so, it was a marvelous cruise and we did not hesitate to revisit Costa when the insurance paid us back after DW's op. It's lively, very friendly and great if you can go with occasional disorganisation. What's not to like about being fed all day and, if you get the All Inclusive drinks (which includes decent coffee), watching and listening to the world go by in a benevolent haze. Take a few phrase books and have a go.

I agree, you won't get much usable info from the Costa site.