Tamron 18 - 400

This is supposed to show up in stores on July 20. Anyone seen an advance review. Our cruise is July 26, so I am doubtful to buy a new lens that close to departure, but wondering.

Looks good, but the 18-400 won't fit older NIkons like the D40, D60, D90 and others manufactured before like 2007. Check out Tamron's website & specs.

We got the 18-250 for our D40 but it would not autofocus (got the wrong model) but solved that with a reconditioned D90 and it's been all good.

18-400 wow!

Also, I want to see how heavy it is. Current listings have it about 30 percent heavier than the 16-300 macro.

705g vs. 540g in Nikon mount. The difference could be offset by leaving your 5.5" smartphone behind. :)

As an FYI to all. The model limitation is based on two factors. First is the aperture which is electronically controlled via an in-lens motor like the E-series lenses and cannot be used on cameras that only support mechanical aperture control. The second caveat is that the lens is designed for APS-C cameras. It will technically work on full-frame (Nikon mount) cameras that support electronic aperture control, but the corners will be severely vignetted or blocked completely.

This is the official "supported" list. It may not include some newer models, but those should all support e-series lenses: D5600, D5500, D5300, D5200, D5100, D5000, D3400, D3300, D3200, D3100, D7200, D7100, D7000, D500, D300S

Dave

I saw one listing that had it at almost 900. Makes a difference hanging from strap after a while in tourist mode.

705g vs. 540g in Nikon mount. The difference could be offset by leaving your 5.5" smartphone behind. :)

As an FYI to all. The model limitation is based on two factors. First is the aperture which is electronically controlled via an in-lens motor like the E-series lenses and cannot be used on cameras that only support mechanical aperture control. The second caveat is that the lens is designed for APS-C cameras. It will technically work on full-frame (Nikon mount) cameras that support electronic aperture control, but the corners will be severely vignetted or blocked completely.

This is the official "supported" list. It may not include some newer models, but those should all support e-series lenses: D5600, D5500, D5300, D5200, D5100, D5000, D3400, D3300, D3200, D3100, D7200, D7100, D7000, D500, D300S

Dave

I saw one listing that had it at almost 900. Makes a difference hanging from strap after a while in tourist mode.

I got the 705g figure from Tamron USA'a site. Better than average chance that it's correct.

Dave