Reading the small print.

Warford Lady

I will shortly be cruising on Arcadia and last night read all the Information on cruise personaliser, just for a refresher, as it is two years since my last cruise ( touch of insomnia so I went on the iPad).

I notice that we are no longer allowed to take extension sockets on board and that all chargers have to be CE marked.

I was just wondering whether all P&O passengers actually read all the "small print" and whether everyone actually complies with these rules.

Do P & O check all phone chargers etc. and screen luggage to check whether passengers have banned items such as travel irons.

Please be assured I will comply with the rules but there will probably be some passengers who genuinely won't know if the are breaking them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We never take an extension lead, so that's no problem, never checked our chargers, but since they are genuine Samsung for the phone and tablet, and Philips for the shaver I assume they should be CE approved, and we have never had a call to say they have found contraband in our cases.

We've taken an extension lead on every cruise with P&O and never had a problem - the last cruise was in January this year. We never leave anything charging if we are not in the cabin and we would never take a travel iron - certainly knew that they were banned. Some Captains mention this at the Safety Drill - they also mention about not leaving things charging in an unoccupied cabin.

Agree with Annie we always take an extension cable. The only stipulation is that it cannot be surge protected it must be a ordinary one. We leave it out in plain view.

Not sure where the O P got this information from but I do not think it is correct.

We also take a 4 socket extension lead as there are insufficient sockets in cabins for modern day usage. Cabin Stewards are pretty hot on P&O safety regulations and I am sure would challenge us if it was deemed an issue.

Agree with Annie we always take an extension cable. The only stipulation is that it cannot be surge protected it must be a ordinary one. We leave it out in plain view.

Not sure where the O P got this information from but I do not think it is correct.

Its under Life Onboard/Safety Onboard:

Use of electrical appliances

Passengers are not permitted to bring onboard irons, kettles or appliances with heating elements, however hair dryers, straighteners and curling tongs are permitted. Electrical chargers, adaptors and e-cigarette charging devices are to be CE marked and should not be left unattended or left charging overnight or when the cabin is unoccupied. Personal extension leads are not permitted onboard.

Its under Life Onboard/Safety Onboard:

Well I have a cpap machine which the electrical dept. check and it is attached to my multi block.

We also take a 4 socket extension lead as there are insufficient sockets in cabins for modern day usage. Cabin Stewards are pretty hot on P&O safety regulations and I am sure would challenge us if it was deemed an issue.

I have never needed more sockets than are available, from memory on Azura/Ventura there are two 3 pin ones near the kettle, plus an american 2 pin one near the mirror which the hair dryer fits, and which is rarely in daily use, although I guess some ladies will jump on me saying they wash their hair every day.

My shaver only needs charging once on a 2 week cruise, but the phone and tablet are charged daily, but as I only take one charger never at the same time. My camera takes rechargeable AA batteries and I always take 2 extra ones, as yet I have never needed to use the spares.

Now am I missing something, just what do all you power strip users have plugged in all at once.

Dai, I read it on P&O cruise personaliser. Life on board/ safety on board/ use of electrical appliances. Last sentence reads:

"Personal extension leads are not permitted on board"

I have never taken a travel iron on a cruise but two years ago I did take an extension lead due to the lack of sufficient sockets in the cabin.

Just wondering if this is a recent change to security on board rules.

Dai, I read it on P&O cruise personaliser. Life on board/ safety on board/ use of electrical appliances. Last sentence reads:

I have never taken a travel iron on a cruise but two years ago I did take an extension lead due to the lack of sufficient sockets in the cabin.

Just wondering if this is a recent change to security on board rules.

I am on Britannia now.

Now am I missing something, just what do all you power strip users have plugged in all at once.

Im afraid you are John. I am clearly more modern than I thought! Just for starters, both Mrs Selbourne and I have iPads, we both have phones, I have an Apple Watch that has a separate charger, Mrs Selbourne insists on her own hair dryer- I could go on. We save a small fortune in electricity when we are on a cruise :')

I'm no electrician, but is the clue in the word 'Personal'? Seems a strange and unnecessary addition to the wording. I didn't make mine, I bought it from Argos :').

I shall continue to take mine unless a crew member tells me that it's not permitted.

I am on Britannia now.

You do like your back to backs Dai! I hope to do one myself one day. Must be a nice feeling when everyone else is getting those end of cruise blues and disembarkation anxiety that you know you are staying on! Out of interest, do you get off in Southampton and rejoin via the crew entrance? Just wondering if it's accessible for wheelchair and scooter users. Assuming that you're not doing a triple, please leave it in good shape for us ;)

Finally, have you noticed any changes that have been implemented since our last cruise on her (Summer 16)?

You do like your back to backs Dai! I hope to do one myself one day. Must be a nice feeling when everyone else is getting those end of cruise blues and disembarkation anxiety that you know you are staying on! Out of interest, do you get off in Southampton and rejoin via the crew entrance? Just wondering if it's accessible for wheelchair and scooter users. Assuming that you're not doing a triple, please leave it in good shape for us ;)

Finally, have you noticed any changes that have been implemented since our last cruise on her (Summer 16)?

We did not get off as the crew gangway can be steep. Only changes are a few new menus

No problem with extension leads or adapters. P&O tell you to bring your own on their FAQ page as they only have a limited number available. Just returned from Arcadia and no problems using them on board.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/fleet/Extension_leads?_ga=2.204018963.2077138302.1500134281-1903301221.1422021818

No problem with extension leads or adapters. P&O tell you to bring your own on their FAQ page as they only have a limited number available. Just returned from Arcadia and no problems using them on board.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/fleet/Extension_leads?_ga=2.204018963.2077138302.1500134281-1903301221.1422021818

How interesting. It seems that P&O's left hand doesn't know what it's right hand is doing!!

Might as well take one then. Many thanks for posting this cruiser1955.

We always take a power strip, and it is always full of gadgets. We don't leave it on when we aren't in the cabin. That said Britannia has plenty of sockets so we won't need one next cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums