Slow Service at the Bars on Celebrity Reflection

Redhouse123

Currently on the Celebrity Reflection and I have to say the food, entertainment and quality of the ship really is first class.

However....service at the bar is always slow. Prime example, I've just been in the Sky Lounge at the front of the ship. Only myself and my daughter were at the bar waiting for 2 glasses of Coke. 4 bar staff all talking to each other. I wait. I wait some more thinking they will acknowledge me in a moment. 3/4 minutes. No, they keep talking. I decide to make a point and walk to another bar. As I get off my stool one of them turns and asks if they can help me. I reply, "it looks like you are all too busy talking". I leave to go to a different bar on the ship to get a drink. No apology from any of the staff. It wasn't like I was in a queue.

It seems similar at all of the bars, where you can be left stood for some time before being served. This last experience pushed me over the edge to register and comment on here.

It is a shame because the rest of the boat really is first class.

We were not impressed with the bar service on Reflection either. We sailed on her last November, and compared to our June 2017 Equinox cruise, the bar service was MUCH improved on the Equinox. There were many more bar attendants walking around the pools, and the bartenders were much friendlier and prompt on the Equinox. Reflection is a beautiful ship, but the overall service wasn't as good as what we experienced on the Equinox.

We had a similar experience on the Eclipse last Nov, the staff at some of the bars were horrible. however our more recent Equinox cruise was much better.

I think filling out a comment card and leaving it at guest relations would change this pretty quickly.

I really don't mind going to a bar for a drink, but once there I do expect service.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sounds like you need to tweet about it. I'd be upset too and although you shouldn't have to, I've found out that I get results from sending out a Tweet directed at whomever you're not happy with.

There are people who monitor these feeds...it's their job. I had an issue with American Airlines once, tweeted @ them and had a response in seconds.

If any of you currently on board have a Twitter account, give it a try. Heck, I'll do it for you! Sent! :)

First, I would wonder if the Sky Lounge bar was officially open at the time the OP had her issue. It seems unrealistic that there would just be two patrons at the bar if it was open for business.

If so, the OP just had to speak up and announce what she wanted. Perhaps the bartender thought the OP was just sitting. If you are planning to have more than one drink at a bar, hand a $1 tip to the bartender or server with your first drink. There will be no wait time for your second drink.

A small tip works better than a complaint. If you have the money to take a cruise, you have the money for small tips.

The bartender will remember the tip. He ALSO remembers complaints!

On Reflection aswell - and I guess it is the talk of the ship at the moment. It is an issue that has come up several times, when talking to your fellow cruisers.

Last night at Sunset Bar the bartenders looked really, really tired (even Andrew....) - the bar was a mess and no one had time for a smile. We sailed Celebrity Reflection in 2013, and can't remember ever waiting more than 5 minutes then.

But we still love our cruise!

Perhaps the underlying issue is the number of people on drink's packages. If the bar staff is not incentivized by the tips, they may demonstrate less enthusiasm to serve the guests. In my opinion the drinks packages have had a negative effect on the overall cruise experience. Also the staff may be overworked as a result of reduction of the number of staff due to cut backs in the last few years.

First, I would wonder if the Sky Lounge bar was officially open at the time the OP had her issue. It seems unrealistic that there would just be two patrons at the bar if it was open for business.

If so, the OP just had to speak up and announce what she wanted. Perhaps the bartender thought the OP was just sitting. If you are planning to have more than one drink at a bar, hand a $1 tip to the bartender or server with your first drink. There will be no wait time for your second drink.

A small tip works better than a complaint. If you have the money to take a cruise, you have the money for small tips.

I'm sorry but don't agree with this.. If the bartender thought she was just sitting, he/she should ask if the customer would like help.. I was in Customer Service all my life & would never allow a customer to sit without asking them immediately if they needed help..

I agree tips do work wonders but should not be used as bribes to get good service..:cool:

I'm sorry but don't agree with this.. If the bartender thought she was just sitting, he/she should ask if the customer would like help.. I was in Customer Service all my life & would never allow a customer to sit without asking them immediately if they needed help..

I agree tips do work wonders but should not be used as bribes to get good service..:cool:

Exactly, you shouldn't have to give money upfront in order for someone to do the job they are paid to do. Tips should be for good service after the event, not to encourage someone to do the job in the first place.

Not wanting to make this into a tip debacle, before all the posts start, as that's not my intention. And I don't have a problem with the auto gratuity, but one shouldn't have to pay extra upfront to be served.

No point bellyaching about poor service here, we cant do anything about it. The solution is simple, if you are unhappy about service complain about it at the time. Unless management know about a problem they cant fix it

I have sailed the Reflection a few times and the Sky Lounge bar is not open until the Captain Club function at 5 pm. No bar can serve until open.

From 5 until closing, the Sky Bar is pretty full.

'Nuff said!

On Reflection aswell - and I guess it is the talk of the ship at the moment. It is an issue that has come up several times, when talking to your fellow cruisers.

Last night at Sunset Bar the bartenders looked really, really tired (even Andrew....) - the bar was a mess and no one had time for a smile. We sailed Celebrity Reflection in 2013, and can't remember ever waiting more than 5 minutes then.

But we still love our cruise!

\

The last 2 ships built for Celebrity they got rid of the aft bar on the Oceanview deck or more seating. It seems to have put more work on the Sunset bar.

No point bellyaching about poor service here, we cant do anything about it. The solution is simple, if you are unhappy about service complain about it at the time. Unless management know about a problem they cant fix it

This is all part of a master plan to cut back on the number of drinks consumed by the people with the drink package. Also, there is no incentive for the servers as the tips are prepaid.

I have sailed the Reflection a few times and the Sky Lounge bar is not open until the Captain Club function at 5 pm. No bar can serve until open.

'Nuff said!

This is helpful to know, however, IMHO, if there were 4 staff at the bar, they still should have acknowledged and greeted the OP with "thank you for coming, we can't serve you yet, but would be happy to when we open,.... Etc. Etc." .

Exactly, you shouldn't have to give money upfront in order for someone to do the job they are paid to do. Tips should be for good service after the event, not to encourage someone to do the job in the first place.

Not wanting to make this into a tip debacle, before all the posts start, as that's not my intention. And I don't have a problem with the auto gratuity, but one shouldn't have to pay extra upfront to be served.

I was going to reply to serendipity but you took the words right out of my mouth... Shouldn't have to tip to receive any service at all....

Wow....this was my first post on here. I'm amazed at how many people have posted.

A few points of clarity.

1. The bar was most definitely open.

2. Service is similar at other bars.

3. I have mentioned this to guest relations.

4. Just an acknowledgement of "I will be with you in a moment"would have sufficed even though I really was thirsty on this occasion.

5. I spoke to the bar tender at the pool bar last night before it got busy. He'd been working from 7am and was on until midnight. I felt quite sorry for him and to be fair, he was working his nuts off. Although I don't believe this was the case in the Sky Lounge (I genuinely believe it was them not caring about the service).

Anyway as I said, the restaurant service is perfect. The food is amazing. I will need to get some running done when we get off this ship!

@Redhouse: I apologize for this unrelated question, but just curious if you know the current cost of purchasing the unlimited photo package on-board the Reflection (I started a separate thread on this issue, but since you are actually on the ship I'm inquiring about, I thought I'd ask). Thank you!

I hope you are enjoying the cruise!

While I agree with what you are saying, If the bar was closed than it was the bartenders job to acknowledge the customer and explain the situation. There is no reason not to greet the passenger. Members on these boards always cry how hard the staff is working. Well apparently it isn't as bad as we think.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While I agree with what you are saying, If the bar was closed than it was the bartenders job to acknowledge the customer and explain the situation. There is no reason not to greet the passenger. Members on these boards always cry how hard the staff is working. Well apparently it isn't as bad as we think.

Evidently this passenger isn't from NY. I would have opened my mouth after I made eye contact if wasn't acknowledged.

Hey, no problem.

If you buy the package in the first 5 days of cruising it's $250

After this is increases to $350

If you buy it, makes sure you take every opportunity to get your photo taken!

@Redhouse: I apologize for this unrelated question, but just curious if you know the current cost of purchasing the unlimited photo package on-board the Reflection (I started a separate thread on this issue, but since you are actually on the ship I'm inquiring about, I thought I'd ask). Thank you!

I hope you are enjoying the cruise!

I think filling out a comment card and leaving it at guest relations would change this pretty quickly.

I really don't mind going to a bar for a drink, but once there I do expect service.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We found doing that helps.

The issue should also be brought to the attention of the Beverage Manager. They can usually be found during the Senior Officer party, or just ask another officer to contact them and they will get them for you.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

'Nuff said!

Of course no bar can serve until open but the people behind the bar could have told the customer nicely that they were not open..That would have been Good customer service!