Juneau Transportation from Solstice Dock

georgew4

We'll be going on the Alaska Inside Passage in August. It appears that the distance between the Solstice dock and the Tram and/or downtown Juneau is pretty far. Is it too far to walk? What types of transportation are available...shuttles? taxi? What is the cost??

THANKS!!

We'll be going on the Alaska Inside Passage in August. It appears that the distance between the Solstice dock and the Tram and/or downtown Juneau is pretty far. Is it too far to walk? What types of transportation are available...shuttles? taxi? What is the cost??

THANKS!!

It is walkable ... maybe 1 mile each way. There is a shuttle bus that will take you into town. I think there is a small fee for this ... maybe a couple of dollars?? We've always walked so not even sure if there is a charge or not.

'We were docked at the AJ Dock which is straight ahead.....it was the furthest out from downtown, but they had free shuttle buses that ran every 15 minutes so you were always able to get a ride coming and going.'

^^^ this is from a trip review in the Ports of Call - Alaska forum.

Shuttle bus is cash only either $5 or $10 per person (sorry, can't remember which) for an "all day pass" - they give you a ticket stub to show on the return. It's further than it looks walking because you have to walk the opposite direction for probably 1/3 mile just to get out of the port, and then walk along the road to get to downtown.

My apologies if I misunderstood the question... I thought OP was asking about transportation going from Solstice dock.

The shuttle I've referenced below goes only between Solstice dock and base of tram, bringing folks from outlying berth to the populated area.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/58%C2%B017'47.9%22N+134%C2%B024'05.5%22W/@58.2943578,-134.412361,1661m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d58.296636!4d-134.4015133?hl=en-US

Here is a good little map of where the cruise ships dock in Juneau. We sailed on the Solstice in May and used the AJ dock. From within the link, you can do a walking map and you will see several cruisers making this trek. Just of note, the walk back is at a slight incline. Funny we hadn't noticed that until walking back when our feeties were already tired. hahaha! But, it is most definitely walkable if you have no mobility issues.

'We were docked at the AJ Dock which is straight ahead.....it was the furthest out from downtown, but they had free shuttle buses that ran every 15 minutes so you were always able to get a ride coming and going.'

^^^ this is from a trip review in the Ports of Call - Alaska forum.

Does the shuttle make any stops between the dock and town? I noticed there were places between but I'm not able to make the walk.

PS: 3 weeks to go.

Does Milinneum dock at the same place as Solstice in Juneau?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In looking at the dock schedule it does not dock at the same dock as the Solstice. The Solstice docks at the AJ dock and the Milinneum docks at the Alaska Steam dock.

Dock Schedule

Just got off the Solstice this morning. The cost of the shuttle is $5 per person for a round trip ticket, cash only. The shuttle does not make any stops between the dock and town. The ride is less than 5 minutes.

You can definitely walk into town but if mobility is an issue, the shuttle is fast and convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just got off the Solstice this morning. The cost of the shuttle is $5 per person for a round trip ticket, cash only. The shuttle does not make any stops between the dock and town. The ride is less than 5 minutes.

You can definitely walk into town but if mobility is an issue, the shuttle is fast and convenient.

Thank you for the response. Does the shuttle go all the way into town or stop at Mt Roberts tram? It looks like the tram is still a ways from town. Thank you again.

The shuttle only stops at the base of the Mt Roberts tram but at that point you're pretty much already in town. Lots of stores and restaurants just a few minutes away. You'll see Tracy's Crab Shack as soon as you get off the bus and the popular Red Dog Saloon is maybe another 5-10 minute walk from there. There are also lots of tour vendors as soon as you get off the bus. We bought a $35 (roundtrip) ticket for the Blue bus to take us to Medenhall Glacier. On the way back from the glacier the shuttle bus driver gave us the option of getting off by the Red Dog Saloon or being dropped off back at the starting point at the tram.

Jim here from the June 16 cruise. They are two separate shuttles. Because Solstice gets in so late (after the glacier) she gets the furthest out pier which is a long walk (more than a mile) from downtown along roads with no sidewalks. So X shuttles you into town at no cost. Then there is the other $5 shuttle for those that want to take it.

^^ I copied this blurb from another thread.