Anyone Remember The Bremen???

Let's see if any of you "old salts" remember the T.S. BREMEN. She sailed transatlantic from 1958 to 1971 from NY. She also did a lot of cruising out of NY in the winter months. She was another fantastic ship that had a wealth of tradition sailing with her. :)

ROSS

Yes, indeed, I do remember her. The former French liner Pasteur, I believe. The Breman was in the running for being the ship for my first cruise. (Rotterdam V won that competition.)

I remember having breakfast on my sailing day at the Sheraton Motor Inn across from the piers in New York and seeing the Breman sail up river, preparing to dock. I regret not having had the opportunity to sail on her. But my choice of sailing on Rotterdam V was an absolute winner!

There is a superb new French book on the PASTEUR; however, it includes very little about her career as BREMEN.

Still, interesting reading for anyone interested in this ship (as long as you can read French). I never thought much about her French career - I always think of her as BREMEN - but her original late Deco interiors were actually quite magnificent.

Thanks RKA...you did make a good choice with Rotterdam V. I remember seeing her from the Bremen.

Thanks Doug...I have seen the book...interesting.

Thanks DMK...she was used to transport the troops...in high style I might add.

The BREMEN was a wonderful ship and classy. She had a style that will not be seen again...very nice. Everything on her was top shelf...sharp and first class all the way. The only ship that I can remember with loads of caviar, lobster and more. They even gave us bottles of German Champagne at dinner...twice. She was pure heaven...and nice wood interiors...that creaked a lot when the seas came up.

Great memories!!!:D

ROSS

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

have a look at http://www.ts-bremen.de

This is a website from a former crewmember of the bremen, were you may find a lot of photos and also interesting information about the history and the fate of this fabulous ship.

My connection is more famliar: My father was crewmember as board-referend in 1960, and he told me a lot of stories about his trip on this ship.

Greetings from germany

My father worked as an executive for North German Lloyd for several years in the late 1960s (following his long career with Furness Bermuda Line). He took me aboard the Bremen in Manhattan on sailing day on at least a couple of occasions, though alas my recollections of her aren't as clear as I'd wish. (I would have been in my early teens at the time.)

With her black hull and prominent mustard-color funnel (placed rather far forward), she certainly looked a distinctive and very substantial vessel, though of course, being in the 32,000-ton range, she was small in comparison to today's behemoths.

Following her service with NGL, she sailed as the Regina Magna for Chandris Line. However, I much prefer her North German Lloyd livery. She was rather more suited for transatlantic crossings than for warm-weather cruising.

She sank while en-route to the Taiwanese breakers, and thus was spared the ignominy of being reduced to razor blazes & such.

http://simplonpc.co.uk/ChandrisRMagna.html

Readers may also recall her NGL fleetmate, the twin-funnel Europa (ex-Kungsholm III; subsequently Costa's Columbus C.)--a handsome vessel in her own right.

THANK YOU POST CAPTAIN!!! The BREMEN was a classy vessel...her interior finish was really nice with a lot of wood and brass. I really think it was the elegant atmosphere that the crew promoted that made her so special. The crew was so finely tuned...very polished. This created a refined and elegant atmosphere. When you went aboard at embarkation there was a big thick welcome mat at the head of the gangway and the ship's officers were there to great you. Once you had gone to your cabin you could go to tea time...just before sailing and they had white gloved tea service with the violins playing...the finest china and those Viennese pastries...mmmmm..it was just so elegant and First Class all the way. Cocktail time before dinner was so special...they had a room...I think it was the Pine Room...with a big organ and a gentleman named Willy playing the music as the ship sailed along...and sometimes zither music too...shades of the movie..."The Third Man". The Champagne flowed...they served German beer in big clay BREMEN steins...you could buy your own. I remember Lowenbrau for 25 cents for a pint. The late evenings always offered a "Snack Buffet" with some great German specialties...it was like going to a wonderful house party at a German Schloss. It is funny that I can remember they had the best breakfast sausages that I have ever had...and still can't get anything like it since. The service was fantastic and you really felt that the entire ship was First Class. The dining room was gorgeous...the china, silver and crystal were exquisite...there were fresh flowers everywhere and the stewards were stellar. You felt so well cared for and so comfortable...it was such a special experience.:D

ROSS

Ross, Thanks for sharing your terrific memories of the Bremen. I didn't really know any of that.

You certainly don't get service like that on any of the mass market lines today, though from what I've read, the Deutschland (Peter Deilmann ) and the current Europa (Hapag-Lloyd) still offer a very traditional and very German high-end service.

The only distinct personal memory I have of the old Bremen is of standing on her promenade deck one evening before she sailed from the Manhattan pier. It was dark--perhaps she departed in the evening, or else it was late autumn or winter? I can actually see the scene right now, but unfortunately I have no recollection of the context. And hard as I try, I can't recall her public rooms or ambience at all. But you created a vivid picture for me.

As my father worked for North German Lloyd, we must have had copies of Bremen deck plans, brochures, and postcards back then. However, as far as I know, my parents didn't keep any of it; but then again, my mother might have something hidden away with all her travel memorabilia. (I'll have to remember to do a surreptitious search next time I'm visiting her.)

Cheers,

John

THANKS JOHN!!!

Always great to share BREMEN memories. I was on her in 1971 for my honeymoon...lol.

By all means check you mother for memorabilia. I am a collector and I have acquired many parts and pieces from the BREMEN V. The borcures are really deluxe...but the most thrilling items...by far...are the menus. I have quite a collection and I can tell you that these are some of the greatest menus ever produced...each one is a work of art...from a culinary standpoint they are unbelievable. The food was superb and the wine list would make any liner of today look shabby in comparison. The traditions that had been laid down from the turn of the century (20th) were strictly adhered to and it really showed.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

ROSS

Ross, was that you who outbid me at the last moment on the eBay auction for the booklet "Flaggshiff Bremen" last evening???:D It looks like a terrific item--67 pages, with pictures of "our" Bremen as well as of other ships that have had the ship name since the mid-1800s.

Actually, my brother is the serious collector in our family.

I just pick up what I can when I see it--mainly Furness-related items, plus prints of classic ships (e.g., a large print of W. J. Aylward's painting of the United States; prints of various Cunarders, etc.). I haven't come across many Bremen-related items, but maybe that's because I haven't really looked until now. This thread & your comments about the Bremen really have gotten me started in that direction now!:)

Cheers,

John

My dear Aunt met her second husband onboard the BREMEN the second week of November in 1969...she travelled on all the great ships - she & her friend decided to try a German ship - they met a man & his friend & alas 2 married couples were the result.

My Aunt honeymooned to Europe in 1972 - aboard the FRANCE!!!!

HI ROTTERDAM!!!

I think the BREMEN had that kind of an effect on people. The BREMEN was very conducive to meet new people and have quiet conversations in some of the intimate lounges etc...gave you a very warm and happy atmosphere. The Germans called it Gemultishkite...pardon my spelling...but the BREMEN had it in spades. We honeymooned on her in 1971 and then did a double crossing on the SS FRANCE in 1973...just missed your aunt by 1 year...LOL.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know where I can get a passenger list for the TS Bremen that went from Germany to New York on June 17, 1966? My late father-in-law came to the states on that date on that ship and my husband has been wanting to find a passenger list with him on it but we have not had too much luck. Just wondering if anyone would know.

HI HSASS,

That is a difficult order to fill. I would say your chances are minimal but you can look up a group called...OCEAN LINER COLLECTIBLES. They are easy to contact and they might be able to point you in the right direction. The group is run by a gentleman named Mark Perry and I think you will find them to be most helpful as they are in constant contact with every major collector/dealer in the world. GOOD LUCK AND GOOD HUNTING!!!

ROSS

• 4 weeks later...

In 1999 we were on the Ms. Rotterdam in Palermo, and while standing at the Lido pool, and old passenger told me that the Russian cruise ship next to us was the former Bremen, are we talking the same shop here?

HI SIR PMP,

You were looking at the last HANSEATIC which was the last of the German Atlantik Line. She was originally built as the TS HAMBURG around 1969. She was then named HANSEATIC in 1973 and then sold to the Russians in 1974 to become the MAXIM GORKY. She was most famous for being the meeting place for President Ronald Reagan and then Premier Mikhail Gorbachev in the 1980's. She is still sailing today...I believe...as the HANSEATIC RENAISSANCE. I just saw her in Funchal in November 2007.

ROSS

• 1 month later...

Wow, just found this part of cruise critic and the memories came back immediately about traveling as a 16 year old with my parents on the Bremen back in 1963. Wow, did I ever have a wonderful time. I remember dancing and dancing and dancing with some very handsome college age guys down in the very lower level dance/bar area. What a fun time. Now our family cruises often, but the memories of the classy Bremen will always stay with me. I thank my parents for introducing me to cruising ---well in those days it wasn't cruising, it was getting back and forth to Germany! LOVED it and still do.

HI JDM!!!

Great to hear your stories...tell us more!!! Crossing on the BREMEN must have been a wonderful experience for you. You were down in The Tavern...a unique little disco for late night dancing etc. I remember the notice in the daily bulletin that cautioned all passengers: "To please be quiet when leaving The Tavern"...etc. Please tell us what you remember...always good to reminisce about the wonderful times on the BREMEN.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi - I have a few more good memories of this wonderful ship I was lucky to sail on with my parents when I was 16. I thought I would share with you since you asked.

I remember that many first class passengers came to the "Tavern" late in the evening. It was such a fun place. I remember dancing with some kind of prince or some type of royalty from first class. My mother was so excited. Personally, he was a bore, but oh, were those college guys wonderful especially one guy that was going to the naval academy. He sure knew how to dance!

I remember ropes being put up so people could hold onto them in certain parts of the ship during the rough crossing and I also remember the yummy snacks at around midnite. Never made it to breakfast since I was up so late dancing.

I have many pictures of my parents having fun on this cruise also. It was nice seeing them enjoying themselves along with my aunt and uncle.

I have not made a transatlantic crossing since that cruise though I have cruised about 25 times and will be doing the Mediterranean this fall. I do plan on doing a transatlantic crossing in the near future - wonder how the dancing will be on that cruise?

HOW WONDERFUL...that you have those great memories!!! I also remember the late night snacks. People did dance a lot in those days...but I am happy to report...that you can still cross the Atlantic and have a great time doing it. We just did an Atlantic crossing last November and it was superb. Nothing will ever be a great as those fantastic times of long ago...but our crossing this past November was a lot of fun and did not lack to great entertainment. Thank you for sharing!!!