Things to do in Moorea

CORKEY08

• 2 months later...

I always rent a car and circle the island, seeing all the sights, shop, go to a great beach and have an awesome lunch. I love not having much of a time restriction. All day (8 hours) rental about $100. Better than a tour for ME.

I agree: ATV Moorea was great. And they will pick you up at the dock. If you choose the shorter tour in the early morning, you should have time to do something else 'water-ish'.

Jill

Edited by jilly08

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there,

We picked up a car from Avis - they have a location about 50yds from the ferry terminal. Easy to drive round the island - there's a fantastic picture perfect public beach past the Hilton around the NE of the island.

By the way Avis also set up a booth at the point cruise ships tender passengers ashore on the other side of the island.

We are getting off our cruise ship in Papeete and taking the ferry to Moorea for one night at the Hilton. Our plan is to get to the Hilton early afternoon and spending the rest of the day at the hotel. My question is whether we should do some off site tour on the second day? We will be getting back on the ship that afternoon at least by 5:00pm so we will have time for something.

One more question: What currencies are accepted on these islands? Are US dollars?

As you might guess, this is my first visit to the South Pacific.

Thanks

In Moorea, we planned to get off the tender, and Go to the Lagoonarium.

As it turned out, there was a tour operator at the tender pier. He charged us $40.00 per person, but the crew got it for 20.00 per person. You will wait on a bigger open boat, and then go out on an outrigger. (The price may be negotiable ) he took us to the motu, where we could have fruit and water (included). There were lounge chairs there. Then we went back out on another outrigger, and swam with the sharks and rays. Then we went back to the motu and snorkeled in the shallow bay.they had a taxi boat that went back and forth, so it was no problem staying as long as you wanted. Everyone spoke English.

At the same motu, Hiro's Tour was there, but they also served lunch.

If you like to snorkel, relax, and see the Sharks and rays and get back in time, this was a good trip.

In Moorea, we planned to get off the tender, and Go to the Lagoonarium.

As it turned out, there was a tour operator at the tender pier. He charged us $40.00 per person, but the crew got it for 20.00 per person. You will wait on a bigger open boat, and then go out on an outrigger. (The price may be negotiable ) he took us to the motu, where we could have fruit and water (included). There were lounge chairs there. Then we went back out on another outrigger, and swam with the sharks and rays. Then we went back to the motu and snorkeled in the shallow bay.they had a taxi boat that went back and forth, so it was no problem staying as long as you wanted. Everyone spoke English.

At the same motu, Hiro's Tour was there, but they also served lunch.

If you like to snorkel, relax, and see the Sharks and rays and get back in time, this was a good trip.

If not Hiros tour, what was the name of the operator you choose????

• 2 weeks later...

Last time in paradise we rented dune buggy's at the pier - we spent hours riding around the island including all the way to the lookout - What a friggin blast - And it was not to be on a 'tour' for a change - We ate lunch somewhere, lol

jc

Toronto/Austin