Day in Port Vila, Vanatua

LostFan#1

They do say you can go..but only on THEIR TOURS! which is a bit rich..

So if you aren't doing their tour, don't go out and about on your own. ( or with local people ) they said

Some went and saw 60 people living in a concrete square with no roof and shared cooking outside. They said it was sad, but saw how resilient the people were and still happy and smiling,

The police were at the entrance to the ship, I think to keep the local taxi guys under control cos it was very calm and no clambering etc for passengers.

We just went sharp left and jumped on a water taxi, as had read about them

On here.

Great way to travel.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

There is a good spot for swimming on the mainland across from Hideaway, at the Beach Bar. No entry fee there and a nice spot for a cold drink. The bus fare to this area should only be around 300vt pp each way and there are normally lots of buses because of people heading to Hideaway.

Thanks for your info from a local Bellamariya.

I am planning Hideaway for the day when I'm there in Oct.

Just me, and I am flexible and enjoy local transport.

So, in summary.

Do you suggest either a 'B' plate bus to town or a water taxi, and then another bus to HI ?

Do the water taxis leave from just after the port gate ?

How much in total do you think, and how long should I plan for the return from HI to cruise ship please.

Thanks.

Edited by Opua Kiwi

• 3 weeks later...
They do say you can go..but only on THEIR TOURS! which is a bit rich..

So if you aren't doing their tour, don't go out and about on your own. ( or with local people ) they said

Some went and saw 60 people living in a concrete square with no roof and shared cooking outside. They said it was sad, but saw how resilient the people were and still happy and smiling,

The police were at the entrance to the ship, I think to keep the local taxi guys under control cos it was very calm and no clambering etc for passengers.

We just went sharp left and jumped on a water taxi, as had read about them

On here.

Great way to travel.

Going on Golden Princess in october 2015 and all this info very helpful. Thx for putting it up

• 4 weeks later...

This is great info. Are P&O still advising people not to go past town unless on their tours? Is this because of what you may see or are there other reasons? We are cruising there in March and have been looking in to a private tour. Is Hideaway better for snorkeling than Mele Bay/Island? Thanks

This is great info. Are P&O still advising people not to go past town unless on their tours? Is this because of what you may see or are there other reasons? We are cruising there in March and have been looking in to a private tour. Is Hideaway better for snorkeling than Mele Bay/Island? Thanks

Hideaway is one of my favourite places for snorkelling, it's easy to access and you can spend the whole day on the island as they have a nice little restaurant and bar right on the water. If you go there take some bread, the fish will flock to be fed!

I am currently in Brisbane but still happy to give local advice for Port Vila :)

• 2 weeks later...
If i catch a water taxi or bus into town, where are the buses to get to hideaway island from there

If you catch a bus from the wharf they can take you straight to Hideaway if you wish.

If you catch a water taxi they will drop you near Numbawan Cafe and you can just walk out to the main street from there and buses will be trying to catch your attention. If you can't see one, turn left and walk up a little way, buses always gather near Fung Kwei as many cruisers go there for their duty free.

If you are in town already there are buses everywhere. Some bus stops are: out the front of the markets (heads towards the ship), across the road from the markets (heads out of town to Hideaway etc), the Post Office is central and has a bus pull in area.

Is there any where to go swimming that is walking distance from the terminal

I have heard of people swimming near the wharf but I don't really know where. The swim club swims in the harbour itself, there are stairs right on the fence line of La Tentation restaurant, just up from where the water taxis drop people off.