Grand Mosque Abu Dhabi

forbesfan

Good Morning, We are visiting Abu Dhabi from MSC Orchestra on February 15th and would like to visit the Grand Mosque.

Ships tour that includes that seems expensive. Has anybody any suggestions to either do it via taxi or via another operator (I did find one at half cost of ships tour but they are full) Please be as full as possible in your reply including costs if possible and are the taxi drivers ok or do you have to barter with them on price. Do they wait for you at the Mosque or do you get another cab back to the ship.

Thank you in advance for your help. David

http://visitabudhabi.ae/en/travel/around.the.emirate/taxis.aspx

Hope this helps.....scroll towards bottom and you will see information about taxis that will be at the port when ships arrive.

Enjoy your visit to the Sheik Zayed Grand Mosque. There are free tours given at specific times and appropriate dress required.

http://www.szgmc.ae/en/

Taxis are metered and controlled in both Abu Dhabi and Dubai and are cheap and reliable. I just went by taxi and the driver waited for me whilst I had a bit of a look around and took some photos. I would not have had him wait if I was taking part in a tour inside. I'd have just taken a different taxi when I was finished. There are no shortage of them available.

It really is a personal choice how you choose to do it. I hate organised tour regardless of the provider and almost always do my own thing. If you also,want to DIY using taxis, it is safe, reliable and relatively cheap. Can't remember what I paid but it is never a lot compared to UK prices.

Thank you everyone for the information.... i have a question on what to wear !!. I found this on a trip advisor comment (2013)

"There is a dress code. Gents, no shorts and the t-shirts must have sleeves. Ladies will be required to enter via a separate entrance and wear an abaya to cover themselves so be warned "

Is this still aplicable ?

Thank you everyone for the information.... i have a question on what to wear !!. I found this on a trip advisor comment (2013)

"There is a dress code. Gents, no shorts and the t-shirts must have sleeves. Ladies will be required to enter via a separate entrance and wear an abaya to cover themselves so be warned "

Is this still aplicable ?

conservative dress is needed when visiting the mosqUe-here is info

http://www.szgmc.ae/en/plan-your-visit

Thank you.... Are three quarter sleeves ok for ladies or do they have to be wrist length?

You need to have long sleeves once you are inside the mosque. Every time I have been there, the long black abayas were available for women to wear. You might want to bring your own head scarf but even those are available. The guides are very friendly and eager to answer any of your questions regarding their culture and traditions in addition to questions you may have about the Grand Mosque. Should you use the restroom facilities at the lower level you will also see the ablution room where women wash prior to prayer time and they are also quite beautiful. I think you will enjoy your visit. It is a beautiful place.

Thanks for informative reply - very helpfull. Really looking forward to our visit as we have never been to that part of the World, not sure really what to expect and am so worried that i wont have the correct clothes. Normally i'm just a shorts and vest top girl on holiday - so am having to re think my holiday clothes this time!!

Thanks for informative reply - very helpfull. Really looking forward to our visit as we have never been to that part of the World, not sure really what to expect and am so worried that i wont have the correct clothes. Normally i'm just a shorts and vest top girl on holiday - so am having to re think my holiday clothes this time!!

Don't think too hard and spoil your fun! :) 3/4 sleeves and capri/cropped pants will get you most places. Rule of thumb is shoulders and knees covered when out and about but you will see others less inclined to follow. Though that may be culturally insensitive, it only causes a problem if someone complains about it and that is less likely to happen in Dubai. Shorts, tanks, and swimwear are all fine at the hotels. Keep a light weight wrap or scarf handy to cover your shoulders if you are wearing a shorter sleeve or sleeveless top. If men do wear shorts they most likely will be longer as well. If you explore further away from the cities you will find people are more conservatively dressed. Enjoy your time there and happy to answer more questions.

Don't think too hard and spoil your fun! :) 3/4 sleeves and capri/cropped pants will get you most places. Rule of thumb is shoulders and knees covered when out and about but you will see others less inclined to follow. Though that may be culturally insensitive, it only causes a problem if someone complains about it and that is less likely to happen in Dubai. Shorts, tanks, and swimwear are all fine at the hotels. Keep a light weight wrap or scarf handy to cover your shoulders if you are wearing a shorter sleeve or sleeveless top. If men do wear shorts they most likely will be longer as well. If you explore further away from the cities you will find people are more conservatively dressed. Enjoy your time there and happy to answer more questions.

I too was worried about what to wear on my first trip to the region and even went as far as getting some Indian kurtas (because they were long sleeved but still lightweight cotton). You really only need to be really conservative for mosques. I tend to cover up a bit more in Oman than UAE? Firt time I wore long linen trousers and a linen 3/4 sleeve over shirt. I was really comfortable in the heat in that. Last year wore cut off trousers to mid calf and lightweight cotton top with sleeves almost to my elbow so fine too. For women in Oman, it is best to cover upper arms, knees and cleavage, so as not to offend. In Dubai on the other hand, at beaches and hotels especially around JBR I wear what I wear in the med. Really skimpy swimwear not so appropriate. In Malls they have a dress code but really it is not drastic more just be modest rather than really conservative.

It's a great place for a winter holiday, I go at least once a year now.

• 5 months later...

Despite being a devout Atheist, I enjoy viewing such money pits as mosques, cathedrals, temples, basilicas, tabernacles, pyramids and other examples of religious vanity, excess and waste. Here endeth the lesson.

The Abu Dhabi mosque is a fine example of the above and well worth a visit. The UAE taxi drivers are excellent and honest, usually lovely guys from Pakistan, and the cabs are cheap and metered. It's cheap to go to the mosque by taxi and have the driver wait, and then drop you off downtown. Or ask for a tour of the sights. Petrol is understandably cheap, as are drivers' wages, so fares are a bargain.

You must go inside, don't just wander round outside, and yes, ladies must get togged up in the black gear, which they provide for free in a ladies' cloakroom. Basically, it's just a shawl and headscarf. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. It's just respect. I can remember my aunts always used to wear headgear in church.

I wish our local Muslim ladies would not wear their niqabs (face masks) here in England - in France they are banned!

Edited by Bollinge