Pago Pago bus

Level six

Hi, starting to plan our trip on the Golden and one of the ports is Pago Pago. I was wondering if any of you have taken the local bus there. Where did you take it? How did you do it? Where did you catch the bus? Any help at all would be great. We always like to travel on local transportation but sometimes need alittle advice!! Thanks

Thank you! I had seen that site, but then wasn't sure about the frequency of the buses. I didn't want to get stuck on the other side of the island with no way back.

Did you take the bus? Where did you go? Thanks

Thank you! I had seen that site, but then wasn't sure about the frequency of the buses. I didn't want to get stuck on the other side of the island with no way back.

Did you take the bus? Where did you go? Thanks

I used to travel to American Samoa during the 1980's, as I worked for one of the tuna canning companies. In those days the various villages had numerous buses in use along the coastal road. The roads really do not cross over the mountainous spine of the island, except for one lone road, if I remember correctly. So, basically the main route follows the shoreline along both sides of Pago Harbor, and then along the coast to past the airport. It's probably only about 15 miles total each way. You will never have to wait more than a couple of minutes until the next bus passes by. Just flag it down, and get on. In the 1980's the fare was only $0.25 within the harbor, and maybe 50 cents to go all the way to the airport. It's more now, but not very much. The buses do not travel fast, so you will rarely see any vehicle moving at more than about 25 mph.

Here's a map of the island. The ship will probably be docked at Utulei in the harbor.

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/map/tutuila-map.htm

From the information on the map page it would appear that the population has doubled since the 1980's, when it was only about 33,000.

Edited by Jeff in Torrance

I used to travel to American Samoa during the 1980's, as I worked for one of the tuna canning companies. In those days the various villages had numerous buses in use along the coastal road. The roads really do not cross over the mountainous spine of the island, except for one lone road, if I remember correctly. So, basically the main route follows the shoreline along both sides of Pago Harbor, and then along the coast to past the airport. It's probably only about 15 miles total each way. You will never have to wait more than a couple of minutes until the next bus passes by. Just flag it down, and get on. In the 1980's the fare was only $0.25 within the harbor, and maybe 50 cents to go all the way to the airport. It's more now, but not very much. The buses do not travel fast, so you will rarely see any vehicle moving at more than about 25 mph.

Here's a map of the island. The ship will probably be docked at Utulei in the harbor.

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/map/tutuila-map.htm

From the information on the map page it would appear that the population has doubled since the 1980's, when it was only about 33,000.

Thanks!:)