Chikungunya Mosquito Disease in South Pacific /No cures

mcrcruiser

This is just a little bit alarmist don't you think? Fatalities are rare and are generally the result of complications in elderly or already sick people. If you wear insect repellant (which you always should in the tropics anyways) it's unlikely you would be impacted by this.

There is a closely related disease that is prevalent in Australia called Ross River Fever, the symptoms are generally the same and there is "no cure". I contracted it around 20 years ago and apart from one mild case of a sore foot for a week a few years later I've had no issue.

This is a deadly disease with NO known cures . Here is the CDC link & for further information on this disease go to google & put in "mosquito problem in the Caribbean " .It has also spread to the SE USA :

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/watch/chikungunya-french-polynesia

Fear mongering hyperbole.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Fear mongering hyperbole.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Sorry to hear that you feel that way .:eek:

We have posted basically the same information on other CC threads ,especially cruises going to the South Pacific ,Caribbean & South America .Reaction from many other CC posters has been positive & they appreciate knowing about this disease & how to handle it ,per the CDC .;)

This is just a little bit alarmist don't you think? Fatalities are rare and are generally the result of complications in elderly or already sick people. If you wear insect repellant (which you always should in the tropics anyways) it's unlikely you would be impacted by this.

There is a closely related disease that is prevalent in Australia called Ross River Fever, the symptoms are generally the same and there is "no cure". I contracted it around 20 years ago and apart from one mild case of a sore foot for a week a few years later I've had no issue.

We read on the internet about the Ross River Fever & since we will be 6 days in Sydney ,we will be taking our mosquito repellent with us:) . Imo ,it is better to be knowledgeable & aware vs the other way around;)

• 3 weeks later...
You can buy fantastic bug repellant here, no need to carry it half way around the world. With the amount of insects we have here we need the strong stuff lol.

Yikes if we knew all this about your strong bugs :p,before buying our Australia cruise ,we could have done a 29 day Tahiti /Hawaii round trip from Los Angeles & no flying . Still got to take mosquito repellants tho:eek: