Difference between casual and smart casual?

Thanna63

I'd really not worry too much if I were you. Not many people dress in what I consider smart casual any longer. I rarely see men with sportscoats now and many women are wearing capri length pants and casual tops on almost all nights.

For myself, I like to take either casual jersey knit dresses ( like office wear) or black pants and several tops to go with.

Although...I don't believe anyone can be overdressed :)

Trying to plan out what to pack for our 12/24 cruise on Voyager. This is probably a silly question but can someone explain the difference between casual and smart casual?

Smart casual is just another word for business wear.......However, I think the only nights you'll see any difference is on formal nights. I really don't know why they try to stick a smart casual night into the mix. Don't worry about it too much.

On my cruise (Jewel in October) the only time "smart casual" even came into play was in the specialty restaurants. In the main dining room, we had 2 formal nights and the rest were just plain "casual." They do have "rules" posted outside the MDR that say no flip flops, no shorts, no tank tops. But when it comes to casual, I think that's the extent of the guidelines.

To me, casual means nice (not faded or ripped) jeans and sweater, and "smart casual" means put on khakis with the sweater instead. LOL

Smart casual to me screams sundress and little sweater or something for my shoulders if it gets chilly in the A/C and Formal.....cocktail dress.

I think if people hear "casual" they think shorts, T-shirts, Jeans (let's not get into that one), etc. When you add "smart" you should be thinking "nice" casual, something comfortable but a little more dressy than picnic wear.

Just finished the TA on the Mariner. Sixteen nights. Smart casual was never listed in the daily Compass as dinner dress recommendation. Note the word "recommendation." It was either casual or formal.

I bought two "nicer than daytime tops or casual" to wear for smart casual nights. Several times people would look at me in the elevator and say "is tonight formal?" They weren't your formal glitzy tops but what you would wear if someone invited you over to their house for a nice dinner or you were going to a nice restaurant.

Tucker in Texas

Archived