Is booking Splendor a mistake?

bitsnscraps

Splendor was my first ever CCL ship. She made me fall in love with carnival. After taking 3 cruises last year i was happy to spend NYE on her again!!! And it was a free Bounce back but besides that. I love the splendor and will be sad to see her go.

Great, thanks for all your thoughts! I would just hate to miss a port because of an engine issue that comes up at the end of 2018 and them not wanting in invest in fixing it that close to when she leaves Carnival. I have heard great things about the Splendor, so I am very excited, just a lot can happen in 18 months before we sail on her.

If you really are that concerned, then you should try another ship. It is not worth stressing over this so far in advance with so many other options available. Enjoy Splendor. It is one of my favorite ships.

• 5 weeks later...
Splendor is one of our favorites....as you can see from my signature, we will be going on her for the 4th time in September.

Enjoy your cruise!

We are on that cruise as well!!!! My Daughter will be celebrating her birthday in Grand Turk! :D

• 9 months later...

Hi-I saw this thread re Splendor & we are book for Mexican Riv, 3/2019!

First off, how were your voyages on the Splendor? In reading someones post about how she has more of a feeling of being an old fashioned/old school liner, I was delighted.

I have sailed on NCL Epic twice and she is far too big, in terms of everything imo. My heart will always belong to the old school P&O ships I sailed in the 1960&70s, amazing way to grow up and travel.

I found myself seeking areas on that mega ship that felt like an actual ship while on deck. The ping pong areas, certain tucked away corners, the stairwells, weird little things.

Does anyone know when she is being sold? She is in port tomorrow & we live 10 min away, gonna suss her out in person.

Thank you

Liz in LB

Hi-I saw this thread re Splendor & we are book for Mexican Riv, 3/2019!

First off, how were your voyages on the Splendor? In reading someones post about how she has more of a feeling of being an old fashioned/old school liner, I was delighted.

I have sailed on NCL Epic twice and she is far too big, in terms of everything imo. My heart will always belong to the old school P&O ships I sailed in the 1960&70s, amazing way to grow up and travel.

I found myself seeking areas on that mega ship that felt like an actual ship while on deck. The ping pong areas, certain tucked away corners, the stairwells, weird little things.

Does anyone know when she is being sold? She is in port tomorrow & we live 10 min away, gonna suss her out in person.

Thank you

Liz in LB

She isn't being sold. She is being moved to Australia. She is still quite a large ship. The only ships larger in Carnival's fleet are the Dream class and the Vista class. She is also Carnival's 6th newest ship out of 26 so she certainly isn't that old comparatively speaking, she just hasn't had all the newest food and bar updates added to her.

We just got off the Splendor this past Sunday and it was an amazing vacation!! I'll be posting a full review soon. I would sail on her again in a heartbeat - she was the perfect size and awesome ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is an old thread, but we were on this same cruise. We loved it and had an amazing time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

She isn't being sold. She is being moved to Australia. She is still quite a large ship. The only ships larger in Carnival's fleet are the Dream class and the Vista class. She is also Carnival's 6th newest ship out of 26 so she certainly isn't that old comparatively speaking, she just hasn't had all the newest food and bar updates added to her.

I think the Splendor is being sold to P&O who operate out of Australia. She is being trnf/sold, she will no longer being in Carnival fleet after 2019. At least, that's what I have read on these boards.

Hello,

I am avid fan of Cruise Tips TV and Cheri the hostess just got off of the ship this spring. She has been making you tube video about the Splendor. According to her the ship will be sent to dry dock to get the 2.0 upgrades. That's the guys burgers and Blue Iguana etc. From the video's and her report it is a delightful ship. She sails mostly Carnival and Princess out of the West Coast. One of the things she said was fabulous was the Steak house. So much so she dinner there twice. She Said the crew was wonderful and attentive. I am planning on going on her the end of June with family. So, I am excited to see what she says and I am watching you tube to see more reviews and information on the ship.

Jeanine

I think the Splendor is being sold to P&O who operate out of Australia. She is being trnf/sold, she will no longer being in Carnival fleet after 2019. At least, that's what I have read on these boards.

It was true at one point, but Splendor is remaining with Carnival. She will make a one-way cruise to Singapore in October 2019 to go to drydock, then head to Australia after that.

Carnival and P&O are the same company, owned by the same company at least. Carnivals newest ship, Panaroma, was originally a P&O ship.

ok, thanks for clearing that up. I'm glad Splendor is staying w/ Carnival.

Does anyone know if P&O & Carnival "share" past booking cruises?

I have over 15 with P&O and would love to be able to add that to my Carnival history, so to speak

Thanks much

I was on Splendor in April. It was probably my favorite cruise. The boat is older but very well kept and a lot of fun. The crew is the best and the Cruise Director, Alex, is awesome. I'm trying to figure out when I can go again on Splendor. We stayed in a spa room, so worth it.

I was on Splendor in April. It was probably my favorite cruise. The boat is older but very well kept and a lot of fun. The crew is the best and the Cruise Director, Alex, is awesome. I'm trying to figure out when I can go again on Splendor. We stayed in a spa room, so worth it.

Alex is the BEST!!

Oh gosh, I hope not! Looking forward to 14 glorious days to Hawaii and back next year. Personally, I like the fact that is doesn't have some of the upgrades. Reminds me of our first cruises. And I am looking forward to Tandoor and Mongolian Wok. Two of my favorite types of food.

• 2 weeks later...

I have sailed her 4 times since she was new. Our last sailing on her we noticed her shine and luster is slowly disappearing. She is a very nice ship all and all. Yes she is aging gracefully but her charm is still present. We will be sailing her again Jan 12 , 14 days to Hawaii. By all mean go and enjoy her! She is by no means washed up. She is only 10 years old. There are many ships in the fleet that are way older. Also I havn't heard anything of her leaving the fleet....hmmmmm