Cruise report: South America on Celebrity Infinity - March 2015

Miaminice

Hi fellow cruisers,

we love to cruise and we love to share our experiences. Until now we only wrote travel reports in German - some were shared by Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Germany already.

On our last cruise we were ecouraged by fabulous guest speaker MickeyLive to also write in English. Well, here´s our first report in English.

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/South-America-01/south-america-01.html

Hope you like it!

Oliver

Edited by Miaminice

Hi fellow cruisers,

we love to cruise and we love to share our experiences. Until now we only wrote travel reports in German - some were shared by Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Germany already.

On our last cruise we were ecouraged by fabulous guest speaker MickeyLive to also write in English. Well, here´s our first report in English.

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/South-America-01/south-america-01.html

Hope you like it!

Oliver

GREAT review/pictures from nice looking couple,quite an experience ya'll had! We will B on her Oct 5th in Aqua A1. Tom

This is so well written that it is hard to believe that German is your first language. Your report is informative and I love the historical background. Well done!

Oliver, thank you for sharing your wonderful pictoral review of the Around the Horn cruise. We were on the same sailing with you and your beautiful photos and commentary provided us with a cherished " walk down memory lane". Bravo!!

Pat and Don

Oliver, thank you for sharing your wonderful pictoral review of the Around the Horn cruise. We were on the same sailing with you and your beautiful photos and commentary provided us with a cherished " walk down memory lane". Bravo!!

Pat and Don

Please keep traveling and posting more reviews. Well done.

Mark Blinderman, Apopka Fl.

Mr. Oliver,

We are on Infinity this coming Christmas doing your cruise in reverse. Thank you very much for your posts and pictures. They are very much appreciated. :)

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU !

We are so pleased and happy that you guys like our review! Yes, there is a lot of work involved... however, comments such as your´s make it worthwhile!!!

We are especially happy because you commented on points that were important to us: our stories are meant to be entertaining AND informative... and there is no better compliment for a travel review than that it actually entices others to share the passion of travel to certain destinations.

Thank you again for your kind words!

As you can see on the website (http://www.travellove.one) I wrote quite a few other reviews. Up till now you can only view the photos because the text is still in German. However, we are currently working on the translation of our "Holy Land Cruise" on Silhouette. One of our best cruises ever! Give us a few weeks... The translation of Alaska will follow after that.

Besides that we have three more cruises booked:

- Eastern Med with Istanbul on Reflection in August 2015

- Iceland on Eclipse in May 2016

- Adriatic/Croatian Coast on Constellation September 2016

Given the positive response we received we will publish the reports in German and English simultaneously... and hope that you´ll like them.

Thanks to you all

Oliver & Birgit

Edited by Miaminice

@sentosa25

Not at all - please do share the link! It´s our reward and pleasure...

@insley

Thank you Pat and Don! Hope you enjoyed the trip as much as we did.

@dmk

Thank you! We noticed that our English got a bit rusty in writing. Your compliment went straight to Birgit, who is doing the job of translating, and she was very happy about it.

Fantastic trip review in every way. Your narrative, pictures and love of cruising shines through on every page. I felt I was on board the Infinity traveling to the end of the world with you.

It is indeed an art to write a travel blog with all its various elements. You have mastered this medium.

I look forward to your future cruise reviews.

Thank you!

Hello Miaminice

Loved it!

Everybody doing this route should read this. I’ve read every word and bookmarked your site as we're doing Val>BA next January and I know I shall revisit your review over the coming months as my planning moves to a new level.

I’m sorry that you didn’t get to do your planned excursions in Puerto Madryn & Punta Arenas, but on the plus side, missing Punta Arenas allowed you to visit the Amalia Galcier etc – something most others travellers on this route won’t get to see!

If you have the time to respond I have three quick questions:

1) What camera equipment did you carry particularly in BA? I read your comments about “security”, but the pictures are all top-quality.

2) Who did you use for your Ushuaia and Puerto Montt excursions? I’d been planning to use the ship in Ushuaia as I’d heard that the residents of Ushuaia are not keen on the British (I can’t think why…), but your experiences sound exactly what I have been looking for.

3) Did you create the map of the alternative route (Google Earth map for March 11th) yourself, or is there software that can do it for you? I currently use “Scribblemaps” to prepare somthing for my wife's elderly father to follow while we're away, but I’m always looking for alternatives that are less time-consuming..

Lastly, I’d like to compliment you on your website. I have been contemplating creating something myself but, after seeing your site, I’m not sure I have the skills and I might be disappointed…

Thank you again for taking the time to do this – I really appreciated your narrative and pictures.

WT

PS - We have just come back from Iceland, Faroe Islands & Fjords on Eclipse; it was lovely, though cold at times (the clue is in the name!). Pack fewer T shirts & shorts and more sweatshirts! Whilst dramatic at times, I guess you will find that the scenery will not be up to Glacier Alley & the Chilean Fjord standards!

Edited by WesternTrader

Wonderful report. It made my morning reading a delight! We took this same trip years ago but never saw some of the beautiful sights you photographed. We were also on the Infinity, that had engine issues and missed the glaciers.

Now my voyage is complete reading your review

Thank You so much.

1) What camera equipment did you carry particularly in BA? I read your comments about “security”, but the pictures are all top-quality.

2) Who did you use for your Ushuaia and Puerto Montt excursions? I’d been planning to use the ship in Ushuaia as I’d heard that the residents of Ushuaia are not keen on the British (I can’t think why…), but your experiences sound exactly what I have been looking for.

3) Did you create the map of the alternative route (Google Earth map for March 11th) yourself, or is there software that can do it for you? I currently use “Scribblemaps” to prepare somthing for my wife's elderly father to follow while we're away, but I’m always looking for alternatives that are less time-consuming..

Hi Western Trader,

first of all: THANK YOU!

To your questions:

Camera:

When we explored Buenos Aires alone on the first day I only took my old small Panasonic Lumix with me. The morning we enjoyed the street marked in San Telmo all I had was my Iphone.

When we did the walking tour with Buenostours I was not afraid at all to take my DLSR Canon EOS 70D. I had two lenses with me on the cruise: The new Tamron 16-300mm and a Canon 17-55mm ef-s 2.8.

Tour operators:

In Puerto Montt we booked with http://www.gvtours.com, in Ushuaia with http://www.tourguideushuaia.net

I will send you the complete list per email.

And don´t worry, no issues with Brits in Ushuaia - Birgit must have sounded British to them. And we were always treated very friendly.

I can not take credit for the map though. We purchased a CD with all the photos of the SnapshotRally (the money goes to charity). MickeyLive added an overlay for GoogleEarth and screenshots.

Creating a website was trial and error for me ;-) Instead of using the sophisticated online programs where you are more or less stuck to templates, I used Netobects. Maybe not as professional but very easy to customize.

We really appreciate your kind words... Thank you!

We were on the same trip and this review has brought back so many memories. It was absolutely fantastic and I would recommend it to anybody. A great experience and I would be happy to repeat it.

We are British and had no problems whatsoever. We did all small private trips organised through Cruise Critic and faced no animosity at all.

Go and enjoy!

I also thoroughly enjoyed this review.

We were actually on the same sailing as the OP, and also were in a deck 11 Aqua stateroom. This particular cruise was the middle leg of a B2B2B series, and we enjoyed the itineraries so much that we have booked a B2B pairing on the Infinity in 2017 for the Buenos Aires to Valparaiso and then on to Florida cruises.