First steel cut for ms Nieuw Statendam

sppunk

Should be interesting to watch her grow & come together as they. Wonder if some of the changes suggested by posters on CC will be carried out.

Allan

Not likely that the entire structure would be changed to modify the promenade. You're talking changes to decks, tons of public rooms, lifeboat placement, etc.

Explorations Cafe - possibly. It would simply rework the space. I think having travel books, atlases and resources for the places the ship is going is plenty.

Rumor has it HAL actually has much more involvement in this newbuild whereas Koningsdam was essentially Carnival Corp. led from start to finish.

Thanks for sharing that rumor. I find that interesting inasmuch as I have never really understood what role the Carnival Shipbuilding division plays in the Company.

When I disembarked from the Statendam in Singapore, I saw men wearing polo shirts with "Carnival Corporation" printed on the shirts embarking and assumed they "might" be with Carnival Shipbuilding, involved with the transition of the ship from Statendam to Pacific Eden.

Thanks for sharing that rumor. I find that interesting inasmuch as I have never really understood what role the Carnival Shipbuilding division plays in the Company.

When I disembarked from the Statendam in Singapore, I saw men wearing polo shirts with "Carnival Corporation" printed on the shirts embarking and assumed they "might" be with Carnival Shipbuilding, involved with the transition of the ship from Statendam to Pacific Eden.

They control the entire newbuild process.

Thank you for your response to my post.

So, if I am correct in understanding what you have said, Carnival Shipbuilding is responsible for the physical construction of the ship. But, they are not responsible for the interior passenger area design of the ship.

Thank you for your response to my post.

So, if I am correct in understanding what you have said, Carnival Shipbuilding is responsible for the physical construction of the ship. But, they are not responsible for the interior passenger area design of the ship.

They from what I understand actually are. They hire designers to match the specific line metrics but have a pretty heavy hand in things.

Tagging on to my prior post, there was much ado about HAL engaging a noted marine architict to assist in the design of the Koningsdam's interiors. (Photos of the MDR of the Kongingsdam remind me much of what I saw on Celebrity Eclipse.)

So, with regard to the rumors of HAL being "more involved" in the planning for the M. S. Nieuw Statendam, place me in the skeptical column. Why were they not originally involved in the Koningsdam's interior design? And, if they were not, who was?

As the fleet grows older and ships are retired, the "short cruise designed vessels" are likely to become ships that travel longer cruises, i.e. the change in some of the itineraries for the Nieuw Amsterdam in late 2016-and early 2017: 10, 12 day cruises.) Maybe I am mistaken, but this will happen to the Pinnacle Class ships as well. So, HAL, outfit them for the type of service that they will likely experience throughout their career.

I am one who does believe that HAL listens to their guests and does respond, as they can, appropriately.

A proper library as part of the Explorations Cafe is required. I hope someone in Seattle is understanding what is being said.

Edited by rkacruiser

Yep

And one with another inappropriate, made-up name. :rolleyes: :(

Of the current and or recent ships, only (Nieuw) Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Zaandam, Veendam, Volendam and Maasdam are not made up names and named after actual city's.

All of the others, although some with long(er) history, are and have been made up names, including Prinsendam and also the ones that have recently left the fleet (Ryndam and Statendam).

If the recent choice of name(s) are to everybody’s liking, is quite personal.

Of the current and or recent ships, only (Nieuw) Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Zaandam, Veendam, Volendam and Maasdam are not made up names and named after actual city's.

All of the others, although some with long(er) history, are and have been made up names, including Prinsendam and also the ones that have recently left the fleet (Ryndam and Statendam).

I still would have preferred Spaarndam or just plain Statendam

The ominous message to me is HAL is leaving Oud HAL behind and wants the public to know the Oud HAL is no more. :(:(:(

Our last cruise on the Vista class Zuiderdam, while fine on all counts lacked the "soul" of our prior smaller ship HAL ship cruises. It was functional and utilitarian, but it was not a grand cruising experience. It was a trip to interesting ports, a wonderful cabin, a variety of onboard options but the scale of the ship and the numbers, even at this relatively small size ship in the fleet, lacked that sense of day to day intimacy once finds on the smaller ships. Perhaps the combo of two 12 cruises added to that as well as most of our prior small HAL ship cruises have been a lot longer.

Edited by OlsSalt

So what was the origin of the names Prinsendam, Ryndam and Statendam then?

Are they simply catchy vocables?

So what was the origin of the names Prinsendam, Ryndam and Statendam then?

Are they simply catchy vocables?

No, not catchy vocables and not imaginary.

As opposed to the other names, Vista class represent the four wind directions, both Prinsendam and Koningsdam refer to royalty (prince and king),

Ryndam refers to a dam in the river Rhine, just spelled differently, since the river Rhine is spelled “Rijn” in Dutch, but also the river Rhine does not have a dam in it (not in Holland anyway), just a lot of dikes. The use of a Y instead of IJ is the way this letter is used internationally in ship names.

Statendam is a reference to states as in United States or in old times the states in Holland, which Holland used to consist of.

Eurodam is a reference to Europe, all the other names are actual city’s in Holland, with the exception of Nieuw Amsterdam, which is the original name that New York was known as.

Edited by Alphen

Yep

And one with another inappropriate, made-up name. :rolleyes: :(

I'm not sure quite what makes it inappropriate. Names that are not cities have been in the HAL fleet for MANY years (thanks Wikipedia):

Princendam (Prince's ship) from 1973

Westerdam from 1945

Ryndam from at least 1951

and Statendam from 1898

The only name I really don't like is Eurodam but liking names is a personal choice. I do though take issue with calling it inappropriate.

Roy

Current HAL ship names and meanings:

Prinsendam - based on the princes of the House of Orange-Nassau, the royal house of the Netherlands

Maasdam - city in province of Zuid Holland

Veendam - city in province of Groningen

Rotterdam - city in province of Zuid Holland

Amsterdam - city in province of Noord Holland

Volendam - city in province of Noord Holland

Zaandam - city in province of Noord Holland

Zuiderdam - compass heading south

Oosterdam - compass heading east

Westerdam - compass heading west

Noordam - compass heading north

Eurodam - based on HAL's origin in Europe

Nieuw Amsterdam - based on the 17th-century Dutch settlement that became the current New York City

Koningsdam - based on the king, in this case the King of the Netherlands

Nieuw Statendam - based on the original seven Dutch provinces or "provinciale staten" (provincial states in Dutch - "Nieuw" = New in Dutch)

Edited by Copper10-8