Carnival Fantasy Medical Emergency

mcfam5

Carnival released this statement:

Earlier today, Carnival Fantasy had to return to its homeport of Mobile, Ala. to disembark a guest experiencing a critical medical emergency. The ship was on the second day of a four-day cruise that departed the Port of Mobile yesterday.

As a result, the ship will be forced to miss a scheduled call in Cozumel, Mexico and the remainder of the voyage will be spent at sea.

All guests on this voyage will receive a 50% refund of their cruise fare and a 50% credit on a future Carnival cruise. In addition, any guests wishing to disembark in Mobile will have the opportunity to do so and will receive a full refund of their cruise fare.

Carnival sincerely apologizes to its guests for this disruption of their vacation plans. Returning to Mobile was imperative based on the seriousness of the medical emergency. The well-being of our guests and team members is always our foremost priority.

(This was originally posted by WhoKn0ws )

I am hearing that somebody was murdered on the ship. Has anybody else heard this? :eek:

Are you perhaps thinking of the very recent Princess Alaska cruise where there was a murder?

If this were something similarly nefarious, the ship would've been kept longer in Mobile.

I heard unconfirmed reports of a stabbing. They were requesting blood donations on board. I did see live stream video of them taking the guy off the ship and into a waiting ambulance, at the dock. He was alive at the time.

Ok...that sounds so much better then a murder. Any act of violence is bad...but I am glad to hear that he was alive when he left the ship. What a way to end a vacation.

I was on this ship! It was our first cruise, we were disappointed. The food was only adequate, not as we expected! The room smelled like wet mold. We had no idea what was going on until they made an announcement about an hour before docking in Mobile. The captain got on the intercom, said there was a medical emergency with one of the passengers and we had to return to Mobile. He stated our options in getting off and receiving a full refund or staying on and cruising the mobile bay and receiving 50% off. We chose to get off! We live an hour from Mobile, so it was useless to stay On! We heard rumors of a woman stabbing her husband, but we were never told this. Of course, Carnival will not leak that information, because they did not handle the situation properly if so!! We were not kept safe, we were allowed to roam around the boat, we were able to leaved the boat without being questioned. To me, that's like letting people leave the scene. If this indeed happened, this foolish person intentionally ruined a cruise for about 2000 people!!!! That infuriates me!! It was just a bad overall experience and I won't be cruising with Carnival again!

When nefarious things happen on a cruise ship, the company takes great pains in keeping the other passengers in the dark. If someone was stabbed, it is possible that it was a crew member. If that is the case, the person(s) never would have entered the passenger areas (save the medical area) thus there would be no reason to restrict passenger movement. If it were a passenger, it would have likely taken place in the cabin where security likely would have been posted or the room locked until an investigation was done. The offenders would have been placed in the ships brig with security posted. You weren't in any danger after the fact so again, there was no reason to restrict movement in those cases.

I was on this ship! It was our first cruise, we were disappointed. The food was only adequate, not as we expected! The room smelled like wet mold. We had no idea what was going on until they made an announcement about an hour before docking in Mobile. The captain got on the intercom, said there was a medical emergency with one of the passengers and we had to return to Mobile. He stated our options in getting off and receiving a full refund or staying on and cruising the mobile bay and receiving 50% off. We chose to get off! We live an hour from Mobile, so it was useless to stay On! We heard rumors of a woman stabbing her husband, but we were never told this. Of course, Carnival will not leak that information, because they did not handle the situation properly if so!! We were not kept safe, we were allowed to roam around the boat, we were able to leaved the boat without being questioned. To me, that's like letting people leave the scene. If this indeed happened, this foolish person intentionally ruined a cruise for about 2000 people!!!! That infuriates me!! It was just a bad overall experience and I won't be cruising with Carnival again!

Carnival did not handle the situation properly. Really. They returned to port because of a medical emergency and ruined your vacation. How is this their fault? I feel bad for everyone on board. I know we all save so we can take a vacation but things happen. But to me the ship turning around and getting someone the medical attention they need proves they did handle the situation properly. As stated above you were not in danger so why should they restrict movement on the ship. You saw nothing and probably your cabin wasn't even close to the cabin of the person who needed attention as many other cabins. So what were all these people going to contribute. If your cabin smelled like wet mold did you tell anyone. Seems to me since you were so dissatisfied with everything getting all your money back worked out for you. I hope you find a cruise line or land vacation in the future that suits your needs.

I was on this ship! . . . . this foolish person intentionally ruined a cruise for about 2000 people!!!! That infuriates me!! It was just a bad overall experience and I won't be cruising with Carnival again!

I would bet any amount of money that the person did not go on board with the INTENT of stabbing someone just to RUIN a cruise for 2000 passengers! And it is NOT Carnival's fault.

When nefarious things happen on a cruise ship, the company takes great pains in keeping the other passengers in the dark. If someone was stabbed, it is possible that it was a crew member. If that is the case, the person(s) never would have entered the passenger areas (save the medical area) thus there would be no reason to restrict passenger movement. If it were a passenger, it would have likely taken place in the cabin where security likely would have been posted or the room locked until an investigation was done. The offenders would have been placed in the ships brig with security posted. You weren't in any danger after the fact so again, there was no reason to restrict movement in those cases.

While I most assuredly think RammerJammer is being overly dramatic and unreasonable, I have to ask: where you on the ship? If not, do you have information not available to the general public direct from Carnival

If not, you don't know what happened. If it was an act of violence, you don't know who was injured. You don't know who committed the apparent crime. You don't know where on the ship the act occurred.

Given all those things that you don't know...how do you know they were never in danger?

I get that you like Carnival...but really...

While I most assuredly think RammerJammer is being overly dramatic and unreasonable, I have to ask: where you on the ship? If not, do you have information not available to the general public direct from Carnival

If not, you don't know what happened. If it was an act of violence, you don't know who was injured. You don't know who committed the apparent crime. You don't know where on the ship the act occurred.

Given all those things that you don't know...how do you know they were never in danger?

Having no dog in the fight (never sailed Carnival), I can say that the OP was not just "overly dramatic and unreasonable", he/she was way, way over the top. I'd be willing to bet that the person reportedly stabbed was a US citizen, and the person reportedly doing the stabbing was a US citizen (real good possibility for a cruise starting in the US, based on past demographics), so in that case, the FBI has to be notified immediately, and the ship's security personnel have to follow the guidelines set up by the FBI with regards to gathering evidence and taking statements, as set forth in the Cruise Vessel Safety and Security Act. So, the fact that the OP was not restricted to their cabin (and you would have heard them screaming if they were on lock down), the fact that they were not restricted (in the OP's personal experience) from any part of the ship (potential crime scene) and that they were allowed to leave the "boat" without being questioned is not Carnival's handling of the situation, but the FBI's protocols for the situation. And, to top it off, it has not been confirmed that there was a violent assault. So, the OP needs to get a life.

And to say that someone stabbed another person just to "intentionally" ruin the cruise for everyone else, the OP is just another entitled snowflake who thinks everything is about him/her.

Having no dog in the fight (never sailed Carnival), I can say that the OP was not just "overly dramatic and unreasonable", he/she was way, way over the top. I'd be willing to bet that the person reportedly stabbed was a US citizen, and the person reportedly doing the stabbing was a US citizen (real good possibility for a cruise starting in the US, based on past demographics), so in that case, the FBI has to be notified immediately, and the ship's security personnel have to follow the guidelines set up by the FBI with regards to gathering evidence and taking statements, as set forth in the Cruise Vessel Safety and Security Act. So, the fact that the OP was not restricted to their cabin (and you would have heard them screaming if they were on lock down), the fact that they were not restricted (in the OP's personal experience) from any part of the ship (potential crime scene) and that they were allowed to leave the "boat" without being questioned is not Carnival's handling of the situation, but the FBI's protocols for the situation. And, to top it off, it has not been confirmed that there was a violent assault. So, the OP needs to get a life.

And to say that someone stabbed another person just to "intentionally" ruin the cruise for everyone else, the OP is just another entitled snowflake who thinks everything is about him/her.

Uhh,,,all the OP said was there was a medical emergency and they were headed back to Mobile. :confused:

Doesn't seem like that is "way over the top"...but that's just me.

Uhh,,,all the OP said was there was a medical emergency and they were headed back to Mobile. :confused:

Doesn't seem like that is "way over the top"...but that's just me.

Sorry, not the OP, just "rammerjammer". Got a little confused when I saw red from the post. Apologies.

I have worked in the industry for many years. I never said I knew what happened, just what the protocol normally is depending on the situation. Since people were reported taken off in handcuffs by that point any threat was over.

And believe it or not, I am not that big of a fan of Carnival.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

My friend's son was onboard this cruise. This is what my friend told me.

A man was stabbed in the neck by his wife, the knife having been removed from the dining room by their daughter. Apparently, rage and/or jealousy may have been a factor. At the very least the man was showing interest in another woman.

His condition is uncertain, but the mother and daughter were arrested upon arrival at the port.