Princess @ Sea messenger

nu2crusin

Thanks. I got that part about the webpage, but they also describe a messenger app that's free to use onboard. Unless that is now integrated into the web page?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks. I got that part about the webpage, but they also describe a messenger app that's free to use onboard. Unless that is now integrated into the web page?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It opens in a web page. Once you're logged into the ships wifi go to shipname.princess.com. Obviously the ship name is whatever ship you're on.

The Messenger app has been integrated into the webpage viewed on the ship's intranet.

Unfortunately Princess has not updated their website now that the Messenger app is not needed. I've used the Feedback option several times to inform them on this misinformation but nothing has changed resulting in confusion.

It's a web-based application. You just go to the URL they provide on board to use it while connected to the ship's WiFi (free if just using Princess@Sea), no download necessary.

Are the messages to fellow cruisers sent through Princess@Sea? So you can test back and forth for free? Awesome if so!

I just tried to download the Princess @ See app from Google Chrome, and it said: "Sorry! This content is not available in your country yet.

We're working to bring the content you love to more countries as quickly as possible. Please check back again soon." Do you have to physically be on the ship to get it?

I just tried to download the Princess @ See app from Google Chrome, and it said: "Sorry! This content is not available in your country yet.

We're working to bring the content you love to more countries as quickly as possible. Please check back again soon." Do you have to physically be on the ship to get it?

The Messenger app is not required & thus is no longer available & you access Messenger through the Princess@Sea intranet site on the ship.

The Messenger app has been integrated into the webpage viewed on the ship's intranet.

Unfortunately Princess has not updated their website now that the Messenger app is not needed. I've used the Feedback option several times to inform them on this misinformation but nothing has changed resulting in confusion.

Here's a link to another recent thread about P@S and Messenger:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2163305

Edited by Astro Flyer

To better understand the service. Once you and your friends are on board you will connect to the url (shipname).princess.com. You will then be connected to the a local intranet service. This free service is not connected with shore. Each of you will have your own personal account you will need to create once on their intranet. This newly created account will allow you to communicate with others your authorize. Only your cabin mate will be initially listed in your phonebook. You will need to add others who are not in your cabin by entering their personal ID into your phonebook. You will communicate by posting messages to one another. Once you post a message......then.....you.... wait until your friend randomly checks for this incoming message. There will be no sound or vibration to alert you that someone had created a message for you to read. It is basically a personal bulletin board system for you and your friends. Quite handy for groups of smartphone friendly people. Not so good when the person you are trying to contact with fails to check and see if anyone has messaged them.

Your messages are more like one-way announcements. Unless the other person or group of people are all at the phone friendly webpage (shipname.princess.com) clicking refresh, no one will know your messaging them. Process works well also on your cabin laptop or tablet should you bring one. We left our laptop open and on for the entire trip. This made it easy when in the cabin to communicate with others who may or may not be in their cabin. With the page open there is a visible icon notifying you of a new message, but only visible. Audible or vibrate alert would be nice but not yet available.

The four of us just used this app on the Ruby in April...we could leave messages for each other, but as others stated there is no notification, so you do have to check for a message. We did find it very helpful. We downloaded it in advance to our iphones, but it won't activate until you are on board the ship. I got it through the app store, Princess@Sea Messenger. We could text about meeting places, times etc. did have to close and reopen it upon occasion but still found it helpful

On a recent Coral cruise, we found the messenger to be slow, with long delays from sending to receiving the messages. I am hoping on the Royal in June, The message delivery will work much faster. In theory it is a great idea, I just found the execution to be clunky.

On the Caribbean Princess, ( which is now in the U.K.) there were "dead spots" like a pool area, But was a help. If you need help, on board, with setting your account, head for the internet dept.

Process works well also on your cabin laptop or tablet should you bring one. We left our laptop open and on for the entire trip. This made it easy when in the cabin to communicate with others who may or may not be in their cabin. With the page open there is a visible icon notifying you of a new message, but only visible. Audible or vibrate alert would be nice but not yet available.

With a laptop, it's not too hard to write a browser plugin

to create an audible notification as needed. With a mobile

device, much harder.

On the other hand, if I leave my laptop sitting on the desk

in the cabin to see a notification -- someone can just call the

cabin phone and leave me a voice mail.

It would be a huge improvement if princess could get notification

on mobile working.

One of the problems I had with p@s messaging is that as you move

about the ship, you encounter areas with no wifi coverage.

Pool deck, elevators, etc. Things were clunky resuming when

moving from coverage, to no coverage, and back to coverage.

Just off the Star Princess. Still a completely worthless program that is not worth the effort to set up. Post It notes wok much beteer than the messenger, the event section is ncomplete and the flio account is an accountants worse nightmare. Useless as can be even after all the time it has been out.

Just off the Star Princess. Still a completely worthless program that is not worth the effort to set up. Post It notes wok much beteer than the messenger, the event section is ncomplete and the flio account is an accountants worse nightmare. Useless as can be even after all the time it has been out.

I found the folio useful. It was fun to see a bar charge posted,

before the drink was even delivered.

Plus, with my ACD checking, I found a incorrect crab shack charge

very quickly. My folio was something like 2113, and the cruiser with

the actual purchase was 2118. I don't know why princess doesn't

swipe or scan the cards to avoid human errors like this.

Messenger is a shame. It is close to being good. It just needs

notifications!

I found the folio useful. It was fun to see a bar charge posted,

before the drink was even delivered.

Plus, with my ACD checking, I found a incorrect crab shack charge

very quickly. My folio was something like 2113, and the cruiser with

the actual purchase was 2118. I don't know why princess doesn't

swipe or scan the cards to avoid human errors like this.

Messenger is a shame. It is close to being good. It just needs

notifications!

It has been close to being good since the day it was made public. Either Princess thinks it is great or the developers have no idea what they are doing. I would vote both. Thete has to be a way to make it better and more responsive. But it hasn't happened yet.

So, I guess the app that I downloaded at the end of April/beginning of May after we booked our cruise is no longer relevant or supported? I can't find the app anywhere online to add it to my wife's phone for our trip next week. Heck, it doesn't even show up in my backed-up apps on my computer, even though I can see it in its folder on the phone (and can even launch it to the opening screen) and on iTunes.

The whole concept of having to log onto a website to check messages that you don't even get notifications for is ridiculous. An app allows you to keep it running in the background so you can get real-time messages. It works great for DCL (after they finally worked the connection bugs out a year and a half ago) so I know it's possible to do.