Sideways inside cabins (Riviera deck)

RebelSoul

DH and I booked the 4 day Bermuda on the CB for next Oct. Originally we were in one of the coveted last AD minis. But since it's late Oct and we're sailing in and out of NY, I don't think we'd be utilizing the balcony much. So we opted to change our booking to an inside cabin instead. This will be both our first experience in an inside cabin. Since we're saving $$$ by not having the mini-suite, we decided to book my two kids on the cruise with us in a separate inside cabin. This will be first cruise for both of my boys.

We wound up being assigned R403 and R407, both inside sideways cabins. I have been directly across the hall from R407, which is a PH (R405) on the Crown and it was rather noisy in the morning especially. It wasn't a deal breaker but since DH and I were on our wedding cruise/honeymoon, noise at 5 - 6 am wasn't ideal!

I have read some older threads on this topic. But I still wanted to ask a couple questions. Anyone who been in one of these cabins on the CB, Crown, Emerald, or Ruby: How is the noise in either of these cabins? They look like they're under the Neptune Pool/Hot Tub area. And I know they're set up differently than a regular inside cabin, but are they actually slightly larger?

Thanks in advance.

Janine,

We were in the equivalent of R507 but on the Sapphire last March. Upshot is yes, we would take those rooms again.

I did hear some sort of rhythmic thunk overhead due to the adjacent pool. It wasn't sloshing of the water, but it was related somehow to the roll of the ship and perhaps the pool equipment. The only time I did not hear it was when the pool was drained and covered with the net one night. My husband OTOH did not hear anything. I agree the room is a little bit noisier from the hallway, as the door is direct into the room, not at the end of a hallway.

DH and I booked the 4 day Bermuda on the CB for next Oct.

Thanks in advance.

This 4 day Bermuda cruise out of NY might be a little noisy, sometimes considered a Party Cruise. It probably doesn't matter where you are on the ship.

We met friends who stayed in R407 on our last cruise, and they liked the cabin a lot. No noise complaints. We also got a chance to see the room: interesting layout and felt a little more spacious than the standard inside.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Looks like we'll be keeping the two sideways cabins then. Glad to read they're a little more spacious. I will miss looking out at the ocean at wake-up as I've always had a balcony on every cruise, but it's only 4 days after all. DH and I do like to hang out in our cabin but with the kids coming with us, I doubt we'll be in them much except shower and sleep.

Thanks again. :)

• 2 years later...

We had one of these Riviera sideways inside cabins on the Crown. It was the best inside cabin we've ever had. Very spacious and no more noise than any other cabin. We didn't experience any noise from the Lido deck.

Hi do you have any photos of R407 or the larger inside cabins as we are sailing on 8th November on Ventura cabin number R407

If P&O sets up the cabins the same way Princess does, then the pictures in post #3 apply.

Edited by caribill

Hi do you have any photos of R407 or the larger inside cabins as we are sailing on 8th November on Ventura cabin number R407

There are some excellent pix here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1728255

They aren't a "lot" larger, but the size difference is maybe ~15%. The primary feature is a far better arangement.

The bit of noise we encountered in R515 on the Emerald was from the hallway, not above. We thought it was a noisier cabin due to the proximity of the bed to the hallway and its midship location and dur to the grill in the door. There was more foot traffic and therefore more passenger noise than we had been accustomed to.

We loved having two vanities. I got the larger one, my husband took the shorter one and we were both happy. I did not like that the closets had doors, nor did I like that the bed was in open view of anyone walking by if the door was opened. I usually change clothes by the bed instead of the closet, and if DH happened to return while I was doing that, it would give anyone else in the corridor a show.

• 2 years later...
Thanks everyone for the responses. Looks like we'll be keeping the two sideways cabins then. Glad to read they're a little more spacious. I will miss looking out at the ocean at wake-up as I've always had a balcony on every cruise, but it's only 4 days after all. DH and I do like to hang out in our cabin but with the kids coming with us, I doubt we'll be in them much except shower and sleep.

Thanks again. :)

Yes those sideway cabins are much better then the regular ones at least on the Regal/royal.

Had R407 on the Caribbean Princess last year on a TA. Had not notice any hallway noise from inside the room. Did notice some moderate cabin creaking one morning but found out later the captain had turn the ship around and was trying to get back to the Azores for a passenger had fell ill, so I think he must had retracted the stabilizers and headed full speed that caused the noise. Like the location near the main elevators

Hi --

I would be interested in this cruise but cannot seem to find any information regarding it. Can you please supply me with details? We can communicate privately if you wish.

I was on the last cruise to Bermuda but we got caught up in Hurricane Sandy; therefore, it is still on my "Bucket List".

Thanks for any help you can give me. SilverBird

I have R407 for my 28 day cruise to the Caribbean in Jan 17 on the Pando Ventura which is sister to Caribbean Princess. So glad to see the video etc. I know there is a chance of noise from the deck above, but that's life.

Hi --

I would be interested in this cruise but cannot seem to find any information regarding it. Can you please supply me with details? We can communicate privately if you wish.

I was on the last cruise to Bermuda but we got caught up in Hurricane Sandy; therefore, it is still on my "Bucket List".

Thanks for any help you can give me. SilverBird

Sorry...looks like someone was thread diving. I started this thread in 2011. I will say the sideways cabins are great though.

I took the official deck plans for Caribbean Princess and measured them pixel for pixel in Photoshop and compared to a standard interior room, the sideways rooms had 44% more space. Sure maybe the deck plan isn't accurate, but it's probably fairly close.

Thank you, RebelSoul, for responding to my inquiry. It is a bit embarrassing on my part. From now on, I will check the date of the posting prior to making a comment/inquiry.

Again, thank you for your kindness. SilverBird