Closet poles

I was reading a shoe organizer thread and thought - hmmm, a separate holder for the kids to keep their stuff in might work great. Last cruise our cabin looked like a bomb hit it. I found this on line but the reviews say you have to take the pole out of the holder and slip the loop from the divider over it. These look like a perfect solution but not if I can't slip them on the closet pole. If someone is on the Grand, could you please check to see if they are detachable.

511UI41BFbL.jpg

Much appreciated (in advance). I will have four kids keeping their stuff in one ccabin. I'm sure they will want to keep their toothbrush, hair, books etc in their own space.

I cannot answer the question about poles on the Grand, because I have not sailed that ship. However, on the ships I have sailed, I do not recall the pole being movable. With that being said. I bet these things could be hung with a close hanger (although they may sway a little more). Might work. Just a thought.

What kind of cabin do you have? Many of the Grand's closets are half sized. Clothes rod is not remove able. Would need one that attached with Velcro or tied.

I'd get a (square) hanging closet organizer. More usable space. http://m.target.com/s?searchTerm=hanging%20closet%20organizer&category=0|All|matchallpartial|all%20categories

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/40123457/

Or

Get some over the door pocket holder. Use magnetic hooks on the wall.

Could use a combo of things.

Edited by SadieN

I cannot answer the question about poles on the Grand, because I have not sailed that ship. However, on the ships I have sailed, I do not recall the pole being movable. With that being said. I bet these things could be hung with a close hanger (although they may sway a little more). Might work. Just a thought.

Agreed, the clothes hangar solution is the way to go.

I was reading a shoe organizer thread and thought - hmmm, a separate holder for the kids to keep their stuff in might work great. Last cruise our cabin looked like a bomb hit it. I found this on line but the reviews say you have to take the pole out of the holder and slip the loop from the divider over it. These look like a perfect solution but not if I can't slip them on the closet pole. If someone is on the Grand, could you please check to see if they are detachable.

511UI41BFbL.jpg

Much appreciated (in advance). I will have four kids keeping their stuff in one ccabin. I'm sure they will want to keep their toothbrush, hair, books etc in their own space.

If you can hang them on a hanger, then hang it on the pole it may work. We always take a shower curtain with holes for hooks, we put a hangers through the holes and hang on hang on the pole ... so we can close off our exposed closest area.

Why not just buy some hooks large enough to go over the rod and tie your baskets to the end of the hooks. I'm sure if you take the time and look you will find something to work, that's if you really must use them for the kids. They have hooks with a curve on the bottom end.

The Grand's closet is very small. If you bring these, they'll take up most of the closet.

70164b7a1e877a3612199dda29685362.jpg

Interesting, I guess, did not realize closest was different in various cabins, we have always booked a mini suite... closest is wild open and large. Very different from this picture.

I don't remember that they did but then again I never tried to do that to them. That hanger might work perfect. The wooden hangers are another idea. I have just started researching and these ideas and suggestions are a great help.

To answer the question about room type - I have two mini suites side by side.

I want to try and keep all their things in one cabin and ours in the other. Two of the kids will be flying home to Seattle and the other two driving back to LA with us. I can't get stuff mixed up or shipping will be involved.

The kids will be 6 8 10 & 12 and the youngest are much tinier then the other two. This is to save me really. This way I can keep their little things on the lower levels and things that they are "saving" like something done in the kid center. Things they want but probably will not use on the top and things they will use on the bottom.

SadieN: I was looking at those ones too. Some of that type were getting bad reviews saying that they didn't hold weight well and that they basically collapsed inward when someone put something on it.

I also agree (thanks for the suggestion) that I could cut it and use velcro. Never thought about that idea.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to keep researching and I'll let you know what I came up with.

I always get a mini suite and I really forget about the bathroom and closet configuration on the lower cabins. I guess I'm spoiled.

Now I just have to think of an organizer that will hold their toothbrush, toothpaste, combs & deodorant for the bathroom counter.

Edited by notentirelynormal

I don't remember that they did but then again I never tried to do that to them. That hanger might work perfect. The wooden hangers are another idea. I have just started researching and these ideas and suggestions are a great help.

To answer the question about room type - I have two mini suites side by side.

I want to try and keep all their things in one cabin and ours in the other. Two of the kids will be flying home to Seattle and the other two driving back to LA with us. I can't get stuff mixed up or shipping will be involved.

The kids will be 6 8 10 & 12 and the youngest are much tinier then the other two. This is to save me really. This way I can keep their little things on the lower levels and things that they are "saving" like something done in the kid center. Things they want but probably will not use on the top and things they will use on the bottom.

SadieN: I was looking at those ones too. Some of that type were getting bad reviews saying that they didn't hold weight well and that they basically collapsed inward when someone put something on it.

I also agree (thanks for the suggestion) that I could cut it and use velcro. Never thought about that idea.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to keep researching and I'll let you know what I came up with.

I always get a mini suite and I really forget about the bathroom and closet configuration on the lower cabins. I guess I'm spoiled.

Now I just have to think of an organizer that will hold their toothbrush, toothpaste, combs & deodorant for the bathroom counter.

You can order it at the Organization Store. It costs 2.97, which is a pretty cheap solution. Good luck.

Here is the link to order:

http://www.organization-store.com/classico-2-hook-hanger.html?cmpid=gpa&gclid=CjwKEAjwpqq6BRC99aKUkaSjuDsSJAC0pNTVs4efbBEB3jhNR4ZZh3nnpkMagd_l5RUuNDqNPJHx2xoCUkvw_wcB

We hung all kinds of thing from the ceiling with really strong magnets. We had a clothes line, hung a sheet to project movies on, and hung several decorative things. The big rare earth magnets with hooks would take a lot of weight.

Interesting, I guess, did not realize closest was different in various cabins, we have always booked a mini suite... closest is wild open and large. Very different from this picture.
That closet arrangement is only found on the Grand in insides, ocean view and balcony cabins. With the Golden and later Grand class ships the bath area was rearranged and the closets are now essentially the same as in mini-suites.

Thanks for your help so I could make a decision. I came up with this one along with the additional hook. This should help if it hangs too high and cheap enough that you can't go wrong.

41Nuk63t5BL._SS100_.jpg

416yrBAls%2BL.jpg

Thanks again for help. I still need suggestions on something for the bathroom. I need some kind of organizer for the counter.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Look for suction bathroom organizers. I always bring a toothbrush holder that sticks on the mirror. It holds four toothbrushes or for us, two toothbrushes and two razors. Works great and takes up no counter space.

http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=suction+bathroom+organizers&v_t=client97_searchbox

I can truly say this idea never crossed my mind. Something new to check out. Thanks!

I'd have to agree with Pam. The closet on Grand was much smaller than any other Princess ship in the Grand class. Our closet on Sea Princess was pretty dang small though. It was our first cruise and we had an inside cabin. As it turns out, the inside cabins on Sea Princess are much smaller than those on the Grand class of ships.

On Sea Princess our inside cabin was 135 sq. ft. (They seem to go up to 148 sq. ft. but we had a tiny one.) We pretty much had to go out of the cabin to change our minds...

On Grand Class ships the inside cabins are (usually) listed as anywhere from 160 sq. ft. to 182 sq. ft.

I can't answer your question absolutely, but in every closet we've had you can lift one end of the closet rod and add or remove hangers. Obviously, this has to be done before you hang anything :)! Sometimes you have to "whack" it to get one end to "let loose" :0.

Ideas---

-For some clutter on the desk we use a fabric garden tote from the dollar store.

-the walls are steel. Could use strong magnetic hooks to hang a shoe holder.

In the bathroom -

-we use some cups from the lido or a soda/beer bottle caddy. Easy to transport and toss at the end of the cruise.

-Could get a cardboard wine bottle carrier (we get ours for free when buying wine at the market). These are heavier and sturdier than the bottle carriers. The holes should be big enough for lido cups.

Lots of inexpensive organizational stuff at Daiso. It's a Japanese dollar store, most things are $1.50. There are two near you, one by Northridge Mall (near DSW) and the other in the Fallbrook Mall (by the theater).

Edited by SadieN