Princess booked hotel in rome

lexusgirl12

If it matters to you, you might want to check the cost of booking the hotel on your own vs. booking thru Princess.

We priced the hotels that Princess was using in Tokyo and found that we could book the same hotel on our own for $400 less than booking thru Princess. That was for summer 2016. We were still able to book the cruise line transfers to the port.

We found similar cost savings in Europe when we looked at booking thru Disney. The hotels in Europe were not giving the cruise lines a discount for bulk bookings. The cruise line was being charged the advertised rates and then tacking on their profit when they resold the space to their passengers.

Edited by moki'smommy

If it matters to you' date=' you might want to check the cost of booking the hotel on your own vs. booking thru Princess.

We priced the hotels that Princess was using in Tokyo and found that we could book the same hotel on our own for $400 less than booking thru Princess. That was for summer 2016. We were still able to book the cruise line transfers to the port.

We found similar cost savings in Europe when we looked at booking thru Disney. The hotels in Europe were not giving the cruise lines a discount for bulk bookings. The cruise line was being charged the advertised rates and then tacking on their profit when they resold the space to their passengers.[/quote']

I agree, could suggestion, I have never found hotels booked thru cruise line a better deal because you are paying per person vs per room.

Since your question has been answered I will join those that are suggesting booking a hotel on your own.

I agree on the price. We booked our own hotel in Rome a couple weeks ago and had the hotel arrange transportation from the ship. Even with transportation much less than Princess deal. Price of room included transportation to airport and one dinner at hotel. Hotel was amazing.

I used City Wonders for tours. Did early Sistine Chapel tour and walked in to an empty room. Pretty incredible. Used same company for Coleseum tour. Booked well before going to Rome.

Google is your friend on this one. Do some research on tours even if you are sticking with Princess arranged hotel.

We prefer to book our own hotels. Location is always a priority so we have a walkable area near points of interest for us. Often cruise booked hotels are further from citycentral and require transportation to get anywhere we'd want to be.

Too, the cruise line charges a per person room rate. VERY rarely is it even close to booking on your own. Too, with a little research, most transfers included with the hotel's are over charged and on their schedule..not necessarily when you'd want to be picked up and taken somewhere. You wait for a bus to fill.

You can book transportation to the port without the hotel.

The cruise lines offer the hotel options for those unsure of how to research and book or for those that don't want to take the time. And they dont do it cheaply. We have friends that choose this route all the time. They overpay and complain about certain stays often. But they just keep doing it that way. Someday I'll convince them...;)

Back to the question, yes there will be a cruise line rep or concierge desk. But you might want to use one of the fantastic tour companies in Italy and book prestay from home. Easy and more choices. Check out the ports of call board. We used Romeinlimo. If planning to do Vatican, you need to book with someone or do online for tickets for a private tour. You don't want to spend hours in lines.

Edited by eandj

We prefer to book our own hotels. Location is always a priority so we have a walkable area near points of interest for us. Often cruise booked hotels are further from citycentral and require transportation to get anywhere we'd want to be.

Too, the cruise line charges a per person room rate. VERY rarely is it even close to booking on your own. Too, with a little research, most transfers included with the hotel's are over charged and on their schedule..not necessarily when you'd want to be picked up and taken somewhere. You wait for a bus to fill.

You can book transportation to the port without the hotel.

The cruise lines offer the hotel options for those unsure of how to research and book or for those that don't want to take the time. And they dont do it cheaply. We have friends that choose this route all the time. They overpay and complain about certain stays often. But they just keep doing it that way. Someday I'll convince them...;)

Back to the question, yes there will be a cruise line rep or concierge desk. But you might want to use one of the fantastic tour companies in Italy and book prestay from home. Easy and more choices. Check out the ports of call board. We used Romeinlimo. If planning to do Vatican, you need to book with someone or do online for tickets for a private tour. You don't want to spend hours in lines.

Second your comment about booking transportation on your own too. Years ago, before the internet, we booked a Hilton in Milan, through a TA, arranged transportation via TA, through Hilton to get us to Venice to our ship. We paid 2 times what we would paid with out either the TA or the hotel... both made a lot on us, lol. We learned. With the interent and cruise critic, it is easy to id transportation options. We use Romecabs.com recommend on cruise critic when going out of Rome on a ship... SmithtotheAirport when going out of Southampton England. Have used these car services several times... very professional. You can book on line, pay on day of service.

We have even flown into a major European airport and negotiated a fare for a taxi at the airport and have been very satisifed.

Just remember that if cruise line books hotel you get transfers from airport to hotel to ship. This adds several hundred dollars if you do these on your own.

It can cost hundreds on your own. It can cost $50. It depends on what hotel and distance to the cruise line. You can also book transfers thru the hotel or thru your TA. If you are staying at the same hotel that Princess uses, you can book the transfers thru Princess.

Our hotel situation for summer 2016:

Booked thru Princess (transfers and hotel) $600+. Sorry, I don't remember the exact figure. Did not include breakfast. Hotel has complimentary shuttle from the airport.

Hotel booked on our own, package includes breakfast $116

Transfers booked thru Princess $98.

Savings--roughly $400. And no "hundreds of dollars" for transfers. There is also a public transportation option that would have cost under $50, but I didn't want to deal with that along with luggage, etc.

We've been extremely happy doing BnBs and going thru VRBO in Rome.

Get a guidebook and a good pair of shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We stayed there three nights pre-cruise. Booked on our own.

Pros: Very nice hotel with a GREAT breakfast if you qualify for 'free breakfast' due to Hilton status or package deal. Very clean. Good service. Nice residential area and a great restaurant next door for evening meals.

Neutral: A number of tour groups were staying at the hotel, when they were coming in or leaving it was very busy in the lobby.

Cons: Tiny elevators. Two people and two bags is a squeeze!

The hotel is a 20 Euro cab ride (each way) from the major historical sites or the Vatican. Bus/tram is an option if you are fully mobile and know the system.

We made independent transfer arrangements but I would not recommend the company we used (it's been a few years and I don't recall their name). The vehicle was too small for the number of people and we ended up with bags on our lap. Check trip advisor and cruise critic reviews!