Grand Princess -really that bad?

annie99

I have been reading many reviews about the Grand Princess and they are quite negative. I know you can't just rely on a few opinions, however, the reviews are overwhelmingly bad. I usually choose a cruise based on an itinerary and we are interested in a Pacific coastal cruise this Oct. The Grand has a great itinerary and we are not looking for luxury -just clean ,in relatively good shape and decent food.If these items are not there on the Grand, it would be like staying in a bad hotel for a holiday. The leaks all over the ship with buckets to catch the water are very concerning to me. Has anyone had sailed her recently with some further insight?

Thanks!

Go and see for yourself. We just got off the Grand about 5 weeks ago and didn't see any major problems.

Food - same as always, maybe a little better. The food in the buffet was actually warm.

Condition - no major issues

Crew - always smiling, eager to help

Remember the old business saying: if you please a customer they tell one or 2 people. If you piss one off they tell all their friends, go on Yelp and Google and post on Cruise Critic:D

We sailed on the Grand a few years back (post her significant changes) and really enjoyed the ship. We enjoyed the one six club, which replaced skywalkers. The crew was outstanding in terms of service and level of engagement. We thought the ship looked just fine from a physical standpoint, but we don't go looking for rust spots, wood in need of varnishing and the like. We're considering sailing on the Grand again next year of a 15 day RT to Hawaii.

It appears that many of us talked about the leaking and buckets as well as the mold smell. However you have some that saw none of that. So does it really matter what anyone says? If five say she's in great shape and five say she isn't, the only way for you to find out is for yourself. Believe me, I didn't go looking for anything to be wrong. I didn't want to be rained on in the Explorers, and I certainly know how to have fun on a cruise and never go on a cruise expecting anything but a good time. And I had a wonderful time , but there was definitely a leaking/mold /bucket problem.

My husband and I sailed the Grand last year and while we loved the cruise, we found the lack of a central staircase more annoying than anticipated. Like others have said, yes, you may see buckets collecting water but that doesn't effect the quality of your trip. We also heard some creaking at night which wasn't a big deal but my husband liked to joke the ship was gonna snap in half Titanic-style. :P

We probably would have had no issue with the missing central staircase if our room wasn't in the central area of the ship. If we booked Grand again (wouldn't be our first choice but it's got great itineraries at great prices) we would definitely pick a room close to stairs!

I have been reading many reviews about the Grand Princess and they are quite negative. I know you can't just rely on a few opinions, however, the reviews are overwhelmingly bad. I usually choose a cruise based on an itinerary and we are interested in a Pacific coastal cruise this Oct. The Grand has a great itinerary and we are not looking for luxury -just clean ,in relatively good shape and decent food.If these items are not there on the Grand, it would be like staying in a bad hotel for a holiday. The leaks all over the ship with buckets to catch the water are very concerning to me. Has anyone had sailed her recently with some further insight?

Thanks!

I sailed the Grand to Mexico in January (even though I had heard of the leaking and plumbing issues) because of the itinerary. The staff was very cheery and helpful, food was good, entertainment good and ports were great. BUT. We felt very lucky to not have experienced the leaking issues on our floor (Plaza). We had buckets in the hallway most of the trip, fans continually running and watched them replace carpet one day. I would only go on the Grand again if it was the only ship doing a specific itinerary ,,, eventually I figure my luck could run out! Just my personal opinion.

Debr

We did a 7 day on Grand 1.5 years ago to check her out, just booked again for a 14 day, we book a mini suite forward, did not have any problems... we found food and service in the MDR excellent. When we went the last time reviews were not good we did not see any significant problems. That is why we did the 7 day before doing a 14 day.

It is an older ship, my favorite ship is the Ruby, we are elite.

We enjoyed our cruise on the Grand in 2013. Even back then people were saying negative things about it. The food was good, the service was excellent and we had a great cruise.

There are always people who want to dwell and focus on the negative. Were there a few areas that we noticed problems? Sure! We did see a few areas where they had leaks, we just walked by them. Who cares? Rust? Yeah, it's a ship that is at sea in salty conditions 365 days a year! Walk by it and ignore it. But the positives outweigh the negatives. They were always working on different areas, even varnishing the handrails and painting. But 24 hours a day/7 days a week use by passengers can wear things down quickly.

We sailed on Grand in May of 2014 and experienced none of the issues others have mentioned. However, I can see no reason why they would be making up things. It may well depend on where you are on the ship or these may be issues that have come up since we sailed on Grand.

We sailed in C752 and had a wonderful cruise. We did start up the central stairs a couple of times and then had to laugh at ourselves because we knew it didn't extend upward very far. It was a minor inconvenience at the most.

Thanks!

Here is arecent thread....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2169790&highlight=grand+not+my+favorite

We cruised the Grand last summer, and enjoyed the Three Free promotion which upgraded us to a midship minisuite. We hadn't noticed that the Grand doesn't have a central staircase between decks 8 and 12...that makes the central elevators quite busy, and/or it means a long walk forward or aft to stairs (or less busy elevators), knowing full well that you're probably going to a midship location when you get to the floor you want. :) The four "closed" elevators don't share up/down buttons with either of the open/panoramic elevators, which just slows the wheels of commerce a bit more.

We cruised the Grand last summer, and enjoyed the Three Free promotion which upgraded us to a midship minisuite. We hadn't noticed that the Grand doesn't have a central staircase between decks 8 and 12...that makes the central elevators quite busy, and/or it means a long walk forward or aft to stairs (or less busy elevators), knowing full well that you're probably going to a midship location when you get to the floor you want. :) The four "closed" elevators don't share up/down buttons with either of the open/panoramic elevators, which just slows the wheels of commerce a bit more.

We have sailed the all the Grand Class ships many times......Honestly until the staircase issue was mentioned after the Royal came out we never noticed/looked for it/worried about it/or paid attention. :rolleyes:

And still don't.

We have sailed the all the Grand Class ships many times......Honestly until the staircase issue was mentioned after the Royal came out we never noticed/looked for it/worried about it/or paid attention. :rolleyes:

And still don't.

You're welcome to your opinion. As a passenger three cabins away from the central elevators on deck 9, carrying 30+ pounds of camera gear (which is not small), it was a daily issue. During peak times, the best way to get into the elevator was to catch one going the wrong direction and take a world tour.

I just got off the Grand Princess (Hawaii Voyage). The only problem I had was a small "drip" while in the Vista Theater. Toilets, air conditioning, elevators all worked.

Going over on 2/17 was absolutely fantastic. A couple of rough days coming back but it settled down. (Not Princess' fault)

Traffic patterns can be a little challenging on the Grand (no center staircase, narrow passage ways on deck 7, etc). Staff was fabulous and entertainment the best ever with ELUA and Rhapsody Trio.

Thank you everyone for weighing in .It sounds like the leaking issue is the big issue.How pervasive is it? I have never encountered a lot of leaks on any ship upon which I have sailed in the past.

The stairs and elevators- well, you could face that on Regal and Royal so not a big deal for me. I don't know if the leaking issue is new or getting worse or just the same on the Grand. I know people who post have strong opinions one way or another and I take that into consideration.It's just that there hasn't been much positive for awhile said about her. It is good to hear that some of you have enjoyed your sailings on her.

Thanks for trying to help!!!

I'm the one that started the other grand topic posted here. In spite of the leaking in several places (and the jokes about it) and many buckets and wear and tear we had a nice cruise. The biggest issue for me and my allergies was the mold and mildew. It didn't ruin my cruise, but it did make for many allergy related problems. That's why I won't sail her again. You may not be affected.

All "Grand Class" ships are not created equally.;)

Crown/Emerald/Ruby have deck plans that appeal to us more.

Did miss having the central staircase and the location of some other things on Grand Princess but would certainly cruise on her again! :)

LuLu

My wife and I just got off the Grand yesterday after a 15 day Hawaii round trip from LA. We have been on this Hawaiian cruise 4 times and feel fortunate every time to have the opportunity.

It is hard to comment on some of the negative reviews of this ship as some things may bother some and not others. The Grand is an old ship. They have kept up with the public areas very well, but I did on one occasion see a water leak near one of the boutique stores. Never thought much of it and I think it was fixed the following day. The room we were in was in need of some care, but it did not spoil our fun. I hear that the ship is going in for a multi-day rehab to address some of the problems.

We have always enjoyed cruising on Princess because of the service offered by the crew. This cruise was no different. A friendly, talented crew ready to provide exceptional service was found. They made us feel welcome and provided us a great experience. If you are looking for a spotless ship, this is not the one for you. If you are looking for great service, good food, and a fun adventure this is it.

My wife and I loved this cruise and the experience was what we made it and got out of it. The Grand is older and you will find some things that need some TLC. If that is going to bother you, I would suggest a newer ship would be a better fit.

My wife and I just got off the Grand yesterday after a 15 day Hawaii round trip from LA. We have been on this Hawaiian cruise 4 times and feel fortunate every time to have the opportunity.

It is hard to comment on some of the negative reviews of this ship as some things may bother some and not others. The Grand is an old ship. They have kept up with the public areas very well, but I did on one occasion see a water leak near one of the boutique stores. Never thought much of it and I think it was fixed the following day. The room we were in was in need of some care, but it did not spoil our fun. I hear that the ship is going in for a multi-day rehab to address some of the problems.

We have always enjoyed cruising on Princess because of the service offered by the crew. This cruise was no different. A friendly, talented crew ready to provide exceptional service was found. They made us feel welcome and provided us a great experience. If you are looking for a spotless ship, this is not the one for you. If you are looking for great service, good food, and a fun adventure this is it.

My wife and I loved this cruise and the experience was what we made it and got out of it. The Grand is older and you will find some things that need some TLC. If that is going to bother you, I would suggest a newer ship would be a better fit.

CruiseBrian, we too are just off the Grand yesterday and agree with you 100%. The entire crew from one end of the ship to the other was the friendliest (and appeared to be the happiest) crew we've experienced. And yes, there were some minor issues, that as you stated hopefully will be resolved during what we were told would be a "wet dock" in Vancouver prior to the Alaska season. We thought the food was good to excellent, met lots of wonderful people and there were lots of activities scheduled during the numerous sea days to keep you busy. One interesting note which was a first for us is that our first cabin steward's contract ended in Honolulu and a new one started there for the last two islands and trip back to LA, and both were excellent.

We cruised on the Grand a few years back about 2013 or 14. You have to remember it's the oldest and originator of the Grand Class. During our Mediterranean cruise it became obvious that a serious water leak had caused a number of cabins to be evacuated and dryers were brought in as well as laying new carpet during the voyage. As far as I could make out the affected cabins seemed to be immediately below the swimming pool, Aloha Deck about About A331 I would estimate. I would definately re-book this lovely ship if it were on a suitable itinerary but I would bear the foregoing in mind.

Regards John

We too just got off the Grand yesterday. Wonderful cruise and wonderful staff. Food was good too. Yes, I got dripped on several times in Explorer's Lounge and in One 5. Another passenger commented to me about this and also pointed out that the furniture to sit on on deck 7 was very tired looking. Only then did I notice this as I walked by. Cushions need replacing along with the upholstery. Also same with Explorers as many of the couches to sit on were way too low and had very soft cushions. After sitting down you could not see the stage. Did this ruin my cruise? No. Did lack of central stair case ruin it? No. (we just walked further forward or aft… good exercise). Would I book her again if the itinerary were right? Definitely yes.

We sailed on Grand in May of 2014 and experienced none of the issues others have mentioned. However, I can see no reason why they would be making up things. It may well depend on where you are on the ship or these may be issues that have come up since we sailed on Grand.

We sailed in C752 and had a wonderful cruise. We did start up the central stairs a couple of times and then had to laugh at ourselves because we knew it didn't extend upward very far. It was a minor inconvenience at the most.

Good to hear! My husband, dad and I will be in C751 on the Grand in September and I've been reading with trepidation all the negative reviews. I don't doubt them, but the irrational part of me hopes they're wrong. :)

How did you like C752? Any hints for maximizing our enjoyment? TIA!

Good to hear! My husband, dad and I will be in C751 on the Grand in September and I've been reading with trepidation all the negative reviews. I don't doubt them, but the irrational part of me hopes they're wrong. :)

How did you like C752? Any hints for maximizing our enjoyment? TIA!

You will LOVE that location! The aft-facing balcony was wonderful. No passenger traffic or hallway noise as you are all the way aft. I woke up one night to use the bathroom (sigh.. :rolleyes:) and ended up sitting out on the balcony watching the wake with a huge moon above. It was wonderful.

Enjoy your cruise. I'm guessing you will have a great time.

Edited by Thrak

Thank you for starting this thread. I was curious about the Grand so booked us and my in-laws on it this summer but really started freaking out when the recent thread was started about how leaky and moldy the ship is. Final payment is coming up, and we think we are going to brave it. I do have allergies and asthma, but I am going to realllllly hope the upcoming dry/wetdock will be used to solve these problems! It would be downright foolish of Princess not to spend the week taking care of these issues! And may we all have a Grand time aboard the Grand! [emoji482]

Edited by cruisequeen4ever

I took the 15-day cruise to Hawaii on the Grand Princess in February 2015, and honestly, I wasn't impressed. Everything looked a little tired - from the drab and outdated furniture in the cabins to the worn-out carpet and furniture in the main areas to the broken deck chairs. There were numerous leaks, as other people have mentioned. With extremely rough seas on the trip out to Hawaii and rough seas causing the cancellation of one island visit, we spent more time in the common areas than probably on most other cruises, so there was more time to notice how much the ship needed repair or, in most cases, simple updating.

The food was average - not a single meal stood out as being exceptional, and most of the dining room meals were bland (perhaps catering to the older clientele on this cruise). The buffet, however, was fairly bad at all times of the day.

Service was all over the map. My cabin steward was nice and attentive. A few of the dining room staff were engaging and polite; others were sullen and suffered from a lack of English - same goes for the bar wait staff. And the relentless pushing of cocktails and premium coffee drinks at the dining room tables was very off-putting.

I agree with everyone who mentioned the inconvenience of not having a central staircase. This was my first cruise with Princess (mostly have cruised with Norwegian in the past) and not having a central staircase just seemed odd. In fact, the overall layout of the ship never really made intuitive sense like the NCL ships do. Maybe that's just me.

I wouldn't do the 15-day trip to Hawaii again on the Grand Princess, and I probably wouldn't choose the ship if I had another option. I didn't have a bad time, but the state of the ship and the performance of the staff could have made a big difference.

And that's my two cents.