Have you experienced bugs on the ship?

A.stew12305

My husband and I are on the Royal, and had an extremely unwelcome visitor this afternoon. My husband brought in an invitation from the little mail slot for the art auction, and a huge COCKROACH fell out. Huge. We called the front desk and they sent a nice woman up who was very apologetic and clearly as disturbed as we were, she said we will be hearing from them about it.

If this were a hotel we would have checked out and found a new place to stay, but we aren't going to leave halfway through a cruise we have been waiting for months to go on.

Has this, or anything like it, happened to any of you?

I'm trying to post a picture, but photobucket is struggling with the ship's wifi I think..

It's unfortunate that you found this creature, but since it was brought in from the hallway and likely not delivered with the auction flyer, it was probably unknowingly brought onboard by a fellow passenger. It likely latched onto something while the passenger was in port and dislodged in the hallway.

I would chalk it up to an unfortunate series of events and uncontrollable by the ship's crew.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

That looks like the famous Florida "palmetto bug". They are more water bug than traditional roach.

It really does look like a palmetto...interesting since they're in the Mediterranean.

I've never come across anything like that on a cruise ship, but I seriously doubt the ship is infested. Probably just a hitchhiker.

I agree with the hitchhiker theory. Lots of people from Florida cruise. That little guy could have hopped on someone's luggage in FLL and hopped off when luggage was distributed to the rooms.

I'm sure Princess doesn't want them on the ship anymore than you do and will do whatever it takes to make sure there aren't more lurking around.

Edited by Kenswing

No, not inside the ship. Sometimes a flying insect gets in through open doors, be they balcony doors, or gangway doors when in port.

Another great reason not to leave your balcony door open, especially now, when Zika mosquistos are on the loose throughout the Caribbean et al. No need to allow them to bite you, or to hitchhike a ride to places where the mosquito isn't naturally hanging out.

We had a swarm of bees join our ship in the Caribbean. They stayed in one area near the aft tennis courts.
Had that happen on a cruise. A big swarm of bees took over the outside stairway to the Lotus Spa pool. We were in port at the time (not in the Caribbean.) The area was blocked off and the bees removed.

We have never seen or had an insect problem on any of our cruises.

The roach probably got onboard when loading supplies for the ship on the docks. Warehouses are breeding grounds for them. The fact that it is not a problem on the ships, speaks to the defense system Princess has in place.

Seems very appropriate to be delivered with the notice from Princess Fine Arts. I have often thought that the company that runs the Art operation has a lot in common with a bunch of roaches.

Flies were a constant on the Pacific Princess in French Polynesia. We have traveled with a fly swatter since a particularly nasty plague of flies on the Maasdam several years ago. Once our cabin steward found out we had it, she borrowed it constantly, using it in all of her (oceanview) cabins.