Chef's table dining experiences?

As a confirmed foodie, this sounds like an interesting experience to me. Can anyone who has done it share their experience? Was it worth the extra charges? Is it a set menu with choices? (I understand it is different from the menu served to the rest of the dining room guests) How much time is spent in the galley observing the action during meal prep? How much time did you get to spend with the Chef & visit? Is the meal quality at the chef's table on par with the meal served in a speciality restaurant? When would be the best night to try to do the chef's table?

Any and all experiences will be appreciated.

Sailing one week from today---- cannot wait!!!

you need to call DINE when you first get on board-usually offered only once during the cruise-max of 12 attend-the night is selected by the chef and you will meet with the Matre D the day before to go over the rules and allergies you may have-no open toed shoes allowed in kitchen. You wear white lab coat-tour the kitchen and sample approx. 5-7 appetizers with wine-lasts maybe an hour-you can ask the Chef anything after he is done talking. We had a set meal done by the Chef-we had 4 kinds of meats-desserts-wine-appetizers-etc-we felt the costs were well worth and enjoyed the meal above all else offered-MDR/Specialty /etc. You will receive a rose-picture of your group and a Princess Cookbook.

Hi

If you have never done it then if you like food its a must do,

its a lot more than a big meal,

to get the most out of it

ask to speak to maitre d or chef, tell them what you do not like,

while its basically a set meal that covers most things,

if you make a reasonable request, they will try and help out,

also think about some questions to ask chef, things like how many meals

do you make a day gets a quick answer but ask how has the ships galley

changed over the years and you will get an interesting story,

yours Shogun

We have enjoyed the Chef's Table each and every time we have done it - about 9 or 10 times I think. There are not really choices on the menu....they present the meal, paired with wines, and you are free to eat as much as you wish of what if offered. You will be in the galley for appetizers, and it will be in operation while you are there. You basically walk through, the Maitre d' points out the different areas, and are taken to an area that is pretty quiet where there will be carvings - fruit, veggie, ice, and an array of 6 to 7 appetizers which will be described and served in succession along with all the champagne you care to drink. PACE YOURSELF. The Executive Chef will be your host in the galley, will pose for pics, talk with you, etc. You can chat, ask questions, take pics, do anything but wander off, as the galley is in operation and while they time that portion of the meal for the "lull" in the action, it is still operating.

The table itself it usually beautifully done, and you will probably start with a risotto of some variety - frequently a seafood - which I have always found to be wonderful. PACE YOURSELF. Next, a palate cleansing sorbet, beautifully presented, with Grey Goose Vodka poured over the top. The main course is highly likely to involve some table side preparation. Wine pairings course by course....then it is on to the cheese course. Luckily, this one is not overwhelming in size, but usually quite delicious. Then dessert, again, a spectacular presentation and the executive pastry chef will present it and chat a bit about it. Dessert wine (wasted on me, way too sweet for my palate), then there are little nibbles and coffee, tea, espresso.....and you get your autographed cookbook, photo, ladies get a rose. All very nice.

Now if you are expecting truly exotic fare that is not going to happen, but the prep and quality is equal to, if not above the specialty restaurants on board. My most favorite memory is when we took Mom and Dad to it, and the sorbet was presented, My mom's face.......she just loved the presentation. Like a little girl seeing her most favorite treat.

Did I mention pace yourself?

Edited by ggprincess2004

I loved the experience! It has been posted that you not eat the day of the Table due to the amount of food. NOT!! I would recommend that you eat lightly at breakfast and lunch. I don't know anyone that can go all day long and not eat with the anticipation of having a big meal that evening.

In addition to the delicious meal, you will have a group photo, along with the head chef, maitre'd, pastry chef, taken by one of the ship's photog. Plus a copy of Princess' hard bound cook book, Courses. The photos will be processed and printed quickly enough so they are given out while the group is having dessert. You will also get a copy of the evening's menu, printed on parchment. I have my menu framed and hanging next to my photo of the group.

We have done the Chef's Table 3 times so far. It is SPECTACULAR worth every dime of the cost involved. The time spent in the Galley and the appetizers served there are almost as good as the actual meal itself. The Table Setting and Service is 5 star quality and the food, the food.... we eat very lightly on the day of the Chef's Table (if we are lucky enough to be chosen to participate). The ambiance and the interaction with fellow tablemates and the Chef and Staff is an experience in itself.... If in doubt, don't worry this is one of the best experiences you can have onboard. GO FOR IT!!!

They did Chef's Table 3 times on our 15 day Hawaii cruise on the Grand. M-D said they try to schedule enough to accommodate and not on port days, Formal night or Lobster nights. Not done on cruises shorter than 7 days.

Main course was Lobster, Scallops, Filet, and Lamb chop. The Filet and Lamb Chops were cooked on a heated iron hanger-thingie and flambeed tableside.

IMG_4385.jpg.2f55c8b4be5f45fd05fe162c18d71ded.jpg

IMG_4382.jpg.3d55b19ac8d1d287549c889474f788e2.jpg

I am going to give a somewhat less enthusiastic endorsement than many of the previous posters. We have done the Chef's Table once. I am really glad to have experienced it.

As has been indicated, you make a request for the Chef's Table on the DINE line on departure day. In our case departure day was a Saturday. When I called I was advised that we could not participate if we had any allergies or if we had any recent illness (completely sensible). I was then told that we would be advised withing 24-48 hours whether we would be included in the group. In fact, the next morning our room steward delivered an envelope with our Chef's Table invitation for Wednesday. Also, included were forms for each of us to sign indicating that we had no allergies/ilnesses and instructions to meet the Maitre d' at the International Cafe at 6:00 pm on Wednesday.

So, on Wednesday we headed to the IC a few minutes before 6:00. I did notice some other people there who had the forms to sign. So, I figured we must be in the right place. Sure enough, the Maitre d' walks up and starts introducing himself. I was really impressed that he knew my name. So, I'm guessing that the list he had also included a photograph.

Interestingly enough, he told us that there would only be 10 in our group because one couple called and said they were not feeling well.

The white coats were brought out on a rolling rack and we were all helped with one that fit reasonably well.

From there we walked to the galley.

I enjoyed the galley tour. I'm pretty sure that the reason they have you wear the white coats is so that the workers understand why this group is being led around. The galley workers are very friendly--we received smiles and waves from all of them. I have to say, I was a little uncomfortable because I always felt that I was in the way of waiters/runners carrying trays out to the dining room. I guess that is my hang-up

We met the chef in the galley and he stayed with us throughout the rest of the evening.

To me the most interesting thing about the galley tour was the space where all the alcoholic beverages are disbursed--think of a bar set up behind a cage. I had no idea, but I understood the control issue immediately.

The Champagene and canapes scenario in the galley has been explained previously. The only thing I will add is that in our case the chef actually prepared a Beef Tartare canape. That was interesting, and, again, I learned some things. I should add that the Champagne was excellent.

We then left the galley, surrendering our white coats, and moved to the specially prepared table in the dining room. You pick your own seats, and in our case, I think I picked wisely and my, wife picked poorly. I gave her a chance to change, but she was adamant.

The photogarpher arrives and everybody gets two photographs--a group shot and a shot with the Chef and the Maitre d'. These are terrific keepsakes.

The meal has it's highlights and it's not so highlights. The risotto we had looked a mess. I was taking picrtures of most of the dishes and the picture the risotto on my plate is just blah. The risotto had a soft-shelled crab in it. It turned out that several people in our table found out that very evening that they did not like soft-shelled crab. So, several plates were barely touched.

I will agree with the above poster that the sorbet was glorious. I really enjoyed that.

Our entree was Roast Veal Shank and Beef Tenderloin. The beef was prepared tableside and both were carved tableside. Both were very good, and I might say that the veal was excellent. Both were better than what is normally served in the Crown Grill.

Then we had another highlight: Baked Camembert with Pine Nuts and Port Reduction Sauce. I think I licked my plate clean on this one.

I should mention the dinner wines here. We started with a Sicilian white which was quite enjoyable and, thankfully, not your standard California Chardonnay. It was nicely crisp and somewhat mineral and a good pairing with the risotto. Then we had a Sonoma County single vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon. A solid wine and also very good with the entree.

Dessert was a hunk of chocolate cake covered with chocolate sauce. Chocolate is not my thing. I had a couple bites and passed on the rest. This was accompanied (for those of us who cannot say "no" to any wine) with a Prosecco. By this time, of course, the palate is wiped out. So, I cannot comment on it.

Then there is coffee and tea, and we were left to sit and chat.

Here is why I don't see us signing up for the Chef's Table in the future. You don't get to pick your tablemates. I mentioned that my wife choose poorly on here seat. At her end of the table was an obsequious individual who insisted on mentioning all the cruises that he'd taken that were superior to Princess, all the restauarants that he'd been to--you get the type. Of course, this starts a competion among other diners who do not want to be topped. That gets very old with us, very quickly. For this reason we always dine alone when we go cruising. Again, this is my hang-up.

Sorry I was so lengthy. Let me conclude that I absolutely encourage you to sign up for it. I am of the opinion that you should never question whether something you want to do is "worth it." Chef's Table is, in fact, a very interesting experience. I'm sure that all the chef's are gracious and personable, and I'm sure they are eager to respond to your questions.

They did Chef's Table 3 times on our 15 day Hawaii cruise on the Grand. M-D said they try to schedule enough to accommodate and not on port days, Formal night or Lobster nights. Not done on cruises shorter than 7 days.

Main course was Lobster, Scallops, Filet, and Lamb chop. The Filet and Lamb Chops were cooked on a heated iron hanger-thingie and flambeed tableside.

My goodness - 4 meats in one main course!!! Wow - way more than I could eat.

Has anyone done the new Curtis Stone Chef's table that was advertised? I'm wondering how that is different.

Hi There,

Once on a roll call about 12 of us wanted to do a chefs table l got all the details and on boarding contacted the dine line l gave them the details and advised we would like to do table as a group, a few days later we got letters about table on checking with others we were all the same night,

Yours Shogun

Hi There,

Once on a roll call about 12 of us wanted to do a chefs table l got all the details and on boarding contacted the dine line l gave them the details and advised we would like to do table as a group, a few days later we got letters about table on checking with others we were all the same night,

Yours Shogun

That is excellent. I can see where Mr. and Mrs. XBGuy would enjoy that.

I would think that the ship would be receptive to that type of request on cruises longer than 7 days when it is easier to schedule multiple events.

Thank you very much to everyone who responded! I'll go for it. Now, one other question if I might, I will have my 19 year old son with me. It would be my wish to allow him to enjoy some of the wines with our dinner.

Can anyone tell me if the '21 years of age' restriction is enforced on the ship in any and all circumstances?

Ever so grateful fellow cruisers!

Water loving woman

Here is why I don't see us signing up for the Chef's Table in the future. You don't get to pick your tablemates. I mentioned that my wife choose poorly on here seat. At her end of the table was an obsequious individual who insisted on mentioning all the cruises that he'd taken that were superior to Princess, all the restauarants that he'd been to--you get the type. Of course, this starts a competion among other diners who do not want to be topped. That gets very old with us, very quickly. For this reason we always dine alone when we go cruising. Again, this is my hang-up.

That was a great review XBGuy. I'm sorry you ran into that situation. It's happened to us a couple of times as well. Once they get going it's hard to redirect. We once had a small winery owner in competition with a well-traveled small business owner. It got pretty tedious. We just want to enjoy the food and the company of folks who appreciate trying new things. High end dining for us is a rare occurrence and we definitely enjoy it when it happens. We try to stay "in the moment".

We had a similar experience at the Chef's Table on NCL, wrong tablemates on hubbies side made conversation on that end of the table tedious. On the other hand, my end was rather entertaining. We're "dine alone" types, too. And this experience made us hesitant to do a Chef's Table again, but I think I would try it once on Princess just for the different experience, especially if it were one with the Curtis Stone Chef's Table.

Your main course seemed like a more reasonable serving than the 3-4 items the previous poster mentioned. Not a veal fan, but would certainly partake of the carved beef tenderloin.

Thank you very much to everyone who responded! I'll go for it. Now, one other question if I might, I will have my 19 year old son with me. It would be my wish to allow him to enjoy some of the wines with our dinner.

Can anyone tell me if the '21 years of age' restriction is enforced on the ship in any and all circumstances?

Water loving woman

Excellent WLW. Please come back afterward and tell us about your experience.

Sorry to say, I have no experience regarding the question of your son. I know that Princess, as a rule, is pretty strict about that. We certainly did not get quizzed about our age, but, if you saw us, it would be apparent why we weren't. :D

Here is another positive, though. Participants who do not drink wine are charged $80, not the $95 which is the posted price of the CT.

Water loving woman

Drinking age will vary according to where you are sailing, for example if sailing in Australia 19 year old no problem.

However they are strict, or appear to be, about enforcing whatever age applies to your cruise.

Excellent WLW. Please come back afterward and tell us about your experience.

Here is another positive, though. Participants who do not drink wine are charged $80, not the $95 which is the posted price of the CT.

Last couple of Chef's Tables we have attended they were very very stingy with the wine - nearly like it was a wine tasting! About an inch in your glass and then you have to wait a while until it gets topped up again.

The last one we did was on Emerald Princess recently and it was the poorest, the photograph was taken from way back and you could hardly see who anyone was in it, the wine was very sparingly poured, the food was good as usual but as always seems to be the case now they were big on veal - which a significant minority of people do not eat.

I have found that if you tell them in advance you don't eat veal then you are blacklisted from the event. Just like admitting to food allergies. There are usually enough passengers applying who are omnivores to make up 12 diners for a Table so why would they cater to anyone specially?

Drinking age will vary according to where you are sailing, for example if sailing in Australia 19 year old no problem.

However they are strict, or appear to be, about enforcing whatever age applies to your cruise.

I agree about the age being affected by the itinerary.

I very recently did an eastbound T/A, followed by the British Isles itinerary, and noticed that the age requirement wall plaques at the outdoor bars were covered up with a paper sign saying passengers had to be 18 to be served alcoholic beverages, instead of the usual 21.

Thank you everyone for your comments we have never done one and have decided to try it this time. I think we should try at least once...

Andrea

Something additionally to keep in mind. The earlier you can manage to board (and call the DINE line) increases your chance of "making the cut". The one time I was included I was in my cabin and on the phone, by noon.