Costa Serena - Arabian Gulf - Dubai - Muscat - Abu Dhabi - Khasab - January 16th - 23

tomvet

I thought some of you might like to read about our cruise in the Middle East on Costa Serena.

My family consisting of OH and 3 kids under 4 cruised around the Arabian / Persian gulf in January on Costa Serena. I can honestly say it was the best cruise we have ever completed. Perfect on a number of dimensions - the ship, the staff, the cabin, the itinerary, what to do in each destination,. An cabin upgrade was most welcome and this was the second complementary upgrade received from Costa.The ports of call were Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Khasab and Muscat. The first and last night of the cruise the ship was alongside in Dubai and we also had the bonus of it overnighting in Muscat. Muscat being a welcome contrast from the high rise Dubai and Abu Dhabi with conservatism being very evident. We purchased a cruise only package and tagged KLM flights to it. It was an exceptional value cruise and honestly better value could be got on other dates. I can honestly recommend the Middle East as an alternative to the Caribbean for a winter sunshine cruise. Flights to the area remain affordable though getting there does involve at least one over night flight. Furthermore those that wish to have direct flights, Emirates have a number of UK departures non-stop to Dubai.

So if you are interested in adding some exoticism to your cruising portfolio, I would thoroughly recommend a cruise in the Middle East. It is just a pity that the itineraries cannot be varied some more because we certainly would return.

Costa does come under a lot of criticism but we found them to be wonderful. If I had two complaints - (a) the ships décor is on the dark side and can be hard on the eye and (b) the entertainment on Serena was lacking in comparison to Pacifica.

A full review of all aspects of the ship, dining, its entertainment, the itinerary and what to do in the ports, etc. can be read here.

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=266&t=9610.

Edited by tomvet

I thought some of you might like to read about our cruise in the Middle East on Costa Serena.

My family consisting of OH and 3 kids under 4 cruised around the Arabian / Persian gulf in January on Costa Serena. I can honestly say it was the best cruise we have ever completed. Perfect on a number of dimensions - the ship, the staff, the cabin, the itinerary, what to do in each destination,. An cabin upgrade was most welcome and this was the second complementary upgrade received from Costa.The ports of call were Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Khasab and Muscat. The first and last night of the cruise the ship was alongside in Dubai and we also had the bonus of it overnighting in Muscat. Muscat being a welcome contrast from the high rise Dubai and Abu Dhabi with conservatism being very evident. We purchased a cruise only package and tagged KLM flights to it. It was an exceptional value cruise and honestly better value could be got on other dates. I can honestly recommend the Middle East as an alternative to the Caribbean for a winter sunshine cruise. Flights to the area remain affordable though getting there does involve at least one over night flight. Furthermore those that wish to have direct flights, Emirates have a number of UK departures non-stop to Dubai.

So if you are interested in adding some exoticism to your cruising portfolio, I would thoroughly recommend a cruise in the Middle East. It is just a pity that the itineraries cannot be varied some more because we certainly would return.

Costa does come under a lot of criticism but we found them to be wonderful. If I had two complaints - (a) the ships décor is on the dark side and can be hard on the eye and (b) the entertainment on Serena was lacking in comparison to Pacifica.

A full review of all aspects of the ship, dining, its entertainment, the itinerary and what to do in the ports, etc. can be read here.

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=266&t=9610.

Wonderful review and fab pics, thank you. We are doing the same cruise in March and I'm now very excited. 😃

Brilliant review, thanks for posting it

I'm going next month, 4th on Costa in the Arabian Gulf (as you say what's not to like) but first on the Serena. That decor is something else - thought the Favolosa was weird and garish but the Serena takes it to a whole new level.

Bit of a weird question for you about the Khasab Dhow cruise - do they by any chance have. Bathroom onboard? Just wondering......

Brilliant review, thanks for posting it

I'm going next month, 4th on Costa in the Arabian Gulf (as you say what's not to like) but first on the Serena. That decor is something else - thought the Favolosa was weird and garish but the Serena takes it to a whole new level.

Bit of a weird question for you about the Khasab Dhow cruise - do they by any chance have. Bathroom onboard? Just wondering......

Hi AmoM

I am so jealous. Would go back in a heart beat. We are on Favolosa in June to the Fjords and Norway. When on Serena and if you are dining in Ceres - please meet the Maitre D' Salvatore and tell him 'Tom with the twins' said 'Hi'!

About the Dhow! A bathroom might be pushing it! :) But yes on our one there was a toilet - very small toilet with the hand basin on the deck! Are you going with the ship's tour or with a local operator - I can thoroughly recommend Dolphin Khasab Tours.

Failing that you could ask your fellow passengers to hold you over the side - just be careful that you note what direction the wind is blowing!! :D :D

Have a wonderful trip!

Tom

@AmoM

I see that you have already cruise 3 times in this area but as the itinerary is always the same, can you find something new to do each time in each port. I would like to go back and yes I can find something to do differently in each port but at a cost e.g. I would like to visit Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi but 2 things put me off (a) admission cost for 5 and (b) I really don't want to spend my valuable port time in queues waiting for rides. I think visiting the F1 track on a non race day would be pointless - is the fun thing not to experience the race itself. After that I struggle to think of things to do in AD save a trip to Al Ain.

As for Khasab - have you been into the town! Oh dear! Nothing to see AT ALL! So once you have travelled on the Dhow and the Jeep up Jebel Harim - what do you do?

Can you see why I ask about going back 4 years in a row?

@AmoM

I see that you have already cruise 3 times in this area but as the itinerary is always the same, can you find something new to do each time in each port. I would like to go back and yes I can find something to do differently in each port but at a cost e.g. I would like to visit Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi but 2 things put me off (a) admission cost for 5 and (b) I really don't want to spend my valuable port time in queues waiting for rides. I think visiting the F1 track on a non race day would be pointless - is the fun thing not to experience the race itself. After that I struggle to think of things to do in AD save a trip to Al Ain.

As for Khasab - have you been into the town! Oh dear! Nothing to see AT ALL! So once you have travelled on the Dhow and the Jeep up Jebel Harim - what do you do?

Can you see why I ask about going back 4 years in a row?

Hi there,

Last uear's itinerary was the same as this year but the 2 previous ones were slightly different. They also included Fujairah but had shorter times at other ports. I prefer the current schedule better with loads of time in Muscat and Abu Dhabi.

To be honest Dubai and Muscat is the main appeal for me and I have no problem finding things to amuse me in Dubai. It's become an annual winter break and a cheap one at that with Costa's rock bottom prices. I'm struggling a bit for Abu Dhabi this time, so am going to get a day pass to a hotel with a beach probably the Shangri La.

As for Khasab, I've nevr yet made it off the ship. On my first cruise I struck up a friendship with the English Dpeaking host (very blunt but funny Aussie) and she told me that either do the Dhow cruise or another trip and if that wasn't my thing (big organised tours aren't ever) to just stay on the ship because there really wasn't anything there in town. I'm half thinking of going for the Dolphin tour but not with Vista. Overcoming my laziness for a stroll into town doesn't seem worth the effort form what you and everyone else sees.

My circumstances are different from yours, very different. I'm solo middle aged female wanting a bit of peace, quiet and sunshine away from a hectic job and only one admission to pay (not that I tend to do stuff that have admissions). I like spas, good food and wine and just reading my book with a nice view outdoors or a stroll along a Corniche. With your gorgeous twins and Mai, Imrather suspect you don't get 5 minutes to sit down never mind hours!

So this annual pilgrimage is not about new destinations and new scenery but just a break from the winter. I tend to do my globe trotting to more exotic and new locations later in the year.

Really appreciate your review. I am going next week. I too find Costa décor garish but the pics you have posted of the interiors have prepared me so I shan't have too much of a shock. (I hated the atrium on the Mediterranea - reminded me of a Vegas hotel and not in a good way!)

Did you happen to notice the % of men wearing tuxedos on the gala nights? Can't decide whether to take mine or not.

Really appreciate your review. I am going next week. I too find Costa décor garish but the pics you have posted of the interiors have prepared me so I shan't have too much of a shock. (I hated the atrium on the Mediterranea - reminded me of a Vegas hotel and not in a good way!)

Did you happen to notice the % of men wearing tuxedos on the gala nights? Can't decide whether to take mine or not.

I didn't notice any tuxedos on Gala Night! I didn't take mine! On Gala nights I wore an open necked shirt, no tie, beige chinos and a navy blazer and I thought I was over dressed!

Thanks, that's an excellent description! Definitely not what you'd describe as a bathroom but may do in a pinch on a 4 hour cruise!

I'd to look up the meaning of the word tardis!

You may have to prepare yourself before you enter and then reverse in - its very er..............................Bijou!:p

Hi there,

Last uear's itinerary was the same as this year but the 2 previous ones were slightly different. They also included Fujairah but had shorter times at other ports. I prefer the current schedule better with loads of time in Muscat and Abu Dhabi.

To be honest Dubai and Muscat is the main appeal for me and I have no problem finding things to amuse me in Dubai. It's become an annual winter break and a cheap one at that with Costa's rock bottom prices. I'm struggling a bit for Abu Dhabi this time, so am going to get a day pass to a hotel with a beach probably the Shangri La.

As for Khasab, I've nevr yet made it off the ship. On my first cruise I struck up a friendship with the English Dpeaking host (very blunt but funny Aussie) and she told me that either do the Dhow cruise or another trip and if that wasn't my thing (big organised tours aren't ever) to just stay on the ship because there really wasn't anything there in town. I'm half thinking of going for the Dolphin tour but not with Vista. Overcoming my laziness for a stroll into town doesn't seem worth the effort form what you and everyone else sees.

My circumstances are different from yours, very different. I'm solo middle aged female wanting a bit of peace, quiet and sunshine away from a hectic job and only one admission to pay (not that I tend to do stuff that have admissions). I like spas, good food and wine and just reading my book with a nice view outdoors or a stroll along a Corniche. With your gorgeous twins and Mai, Imrather suspect you don't get 5 minutes to sit down never mind hours!

So this annual pilgrimage is not about new destinations and new scenery but just a break from the winter. I tend to do my globe trotting to more exotic and new locations later in the year.

A day pass in AD sounds good. I think there is a Hilton on the Corniche i.e. on the beach and not across the 8 lane high way from it! Its not far from the EPH - you could pop in for a €13 Cappucino! ;)

Afternoon tea in the nearby Etihad Towers is also popular!

Well after your recommendation, I'm now booked on the half day Dhow cruise in Khasab with Dolphin Tours. Really impressed with his response times or my emails and no money up front. Just pay them at the terminal. Less than half the price of the Costa equivalent trip too.

Well after your recommendation, I'm now booked on the half day Dhow cruise in Khasab with Dolphin Tours. Really impressed with his response times or my emails and no money up front. Just pay them at the terminal. Less than half the price of the Costa equivalent trip too.

Good for you!

Yes AmoMondo - they are really on the ball. Just so you know, when you enter the terminal building ?Arundas? will be there with a board and a list of the passengers travelling with him. You pay him at that point and he will take OMRs, AEDs, USD and EURs - not sure about GBPs. We paid in AEDs. You travel in a minivan for about 10 mins to the Dhow dock. You may have to traverse across several Dhows to get to yours - that is not a big deal - we managed fine carrying the double buggy! After your cruise they will drop you back at the dock where the ship is. So you are back on board for lunch.

In the minivan you pass right by Khasab Castle and is worth a look. Even though they provide free shuttles into town - it is a nice town i.e clean, bright but there is nothing to see AT ALL!

Have you read Wansbrough's review of the same trip! I'll go and search for the link on CruisingMates. He had a much more enriching experience than we had! But that's the joys of wildlife viewing.

Edited by tomvet

I've just been enjoying your review on cruising mates

It's so rare to read such a well balanced review of a cruise holiday

I was particularly interested to read that you were on Pacifica as we are on her on 2nd March back to Savona and there are very few recent reviews .

We Have been on 2 Costa ships and enjoyed both cruises after getting used to the garish decor. Gosh those statues hanging around looked a bit spooky!

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. What a lovely family you have :)

(Canny_cruiser - I so agree about Mediterraneas atrium! Great description)

Have you read Wansbrough's review of the same trip! He had a much more enriching experience than we had! But that's the joys of wildlife viewing.

Click on the image for my experience. :)

Costa+Fortuna+Cruise+-+Khasab+30+March+2014+%25285%2529.jpg

Arriving at Khasab, as tomvet has said we were much more Fortunate with the wildlife. ;)

Edited by Wansbrough

Click on the image for my experience. :)

Costa+Fortuna+Cruise+-+Khasab+30+March+2014+%25285%2529.jpg

Arriving at Khasab, as tomvet has said we were much more Fortunate with the wildlife. ;)

Thanks for posting the link. What great photos. Really looking forward to going next month.

We were on the same cruise as Tomvet and our experience was very different. We had a premium balcony 8327 which was situated under the pool deck so was noisy. We thought the ship very garish and not to our taste. The food in the buffet was of very poor quality, the roast meat more often than not very chewy, unless you like pizza or pasta everyday very little else. The main dining room food was better but not as good as Club Barca, which offered a really good menu and service, a shame that this food and service is not the norm on Costa. We had the drinks package but alas no pinot griego only chardonnay offered and tasted like a non alcholic wine as did the draft beer.

We should have been on for a second week from 23rd-30th Jan but after my Dh was ill after eating the tuna, we decided that the only way we would stop on was if Costa imprisoned us.

A lot of people are saying it is a bargain for what they paid, but we paid almost £2000 for cruise only and sorted out our own flights with Emirates, so not really a bargain for us, as we had to sort out a weeks Hotel in Dubai.

Regarding the Dhow cruise in Kahsab, we were on the same trip as Tomvet, we saw loads of dolphins but it is a matter of where you on the Dhow, the moment they appear out of the water.

We have been with Costa before and are Club Pearl members but would I book Costa again, not on you life !!!!! not even for lead in price of £149 inside cabin in Dubai, you get what you pay for or in our case we didn't get what we paid for. Oh one thing we did like, the entertainment and people watching, Italians are great participants.

We were on the same cruise as Tomvet and our experience was very different. We had a premium balcony 8327 which was situated under the pool deck so was noisy. We thought the ship very garish and not to our taste. The food in the buffet was of very poor quality, the roast meat more often than not very chewy, unless you like pizza or pasta everyday very little else. The main dining room food was better but not as good as Club Barca, which offered a really good menu and service, a shame that this food and service is not the norm on Costa. We had the drinks package but alas no pinot griego only chardonnay offered and tasted like a non alcholic wine as did the draft beer.

We should have been on for a second week from 23rd-30th Jan but after my Dh was ill after eating the tuna, we decided that the only way we would stop on was if Costa imprisoned us.

A lot of people are saying it is a bargain for what they paid, but we paid almost £2000 for cruise only and sorted out our own flights with Emirates, so not really a bargain for us, as we had to sort out a weeks Hotel in Dubai.

Regarding the Dhow cruise in Kahsab, we were on the same trip as Tomvet, we saw loads of dolphins but it is a matter of where you on the Dhow, the moment they appear out of the water.

We have been with Costa before and are Club Pearl members but would I book Costa again, not on you life !!!!! not even for lead in price of £149 inside cabin in Dubai, you get what you pay for or in our case we didn't get what we paid for. Oh one thing we did like, the entertainment and people watching, Italians are great participants.

I am sorry that your experience was not as good as ours. We ate all breakfasts in Ceres and we thought it to be a very positive experience and certainly avoided the kerfuffle in the buffet. I would day less than 10% of passengers used it. I thought the dinner menu was good -not excellent but acceptable with some great dishes. We rarely had lunch on board as we were ashore - On the sea day we had burgers and chips and they were fine. After the Dhow cruise we had intended to have lunch in Ceres but out of miscommunication we ended up at the buffet where I had the carvery Turkey and honestly I was astonished with how good it was. Desserts were even better. I cannot vouch for the other days.

When you say you were on the same trip - the actual same Dhow or a similar trip on another Dhow.

£2000 seems a lot for this cruise. All 5 of us travelled in an outside and flights for significantly less than that. My advice to anyone is not to book this cruise until last minute as the flights don't seem to get expensive closer to travel date - much competition on the route I suppose.

Funny how you liked the entertainment - I didn't care much for it. It was watchable! Italians are fun to watch but this cruise there were not that many as other Costa cruises - there were a lot from Eastern Europe and the Balkans.

As non-drinkers - drinks packages or drink quality did not bother us though having to pay for water is a bit of a bug bear with me!

Edited by tomvet

Yes, the same Dhow cruise as you, where we all got wet not from the snorkelling but from the waves and spray. We booked ages ago for the cruise, when an inside cabin was £319 per person and £50 extra for premium and more for a balcony, something like £469 each per week, so we were well and truly out of pocket as the price dropped to £149 for inside and not much more for a balcony. At the time of booking it seemed a really good price compared with Hotels in Dubai but you live and learn. The water situation was a nightmare even if you had the drinks package, as they would more often than not give you a very small glass.

Like you say there weren't as many Italians as usual, did you see the older gentleman (doing his own version )dancing on his own every night, priceless.

Thank you so much for this great report! I really enjoyed reading it and look forward to our cruise even more. I will also add the Burj Khalifa bto my list.

We will travel with two kids, 4 & 9, so your report was especially helpful.

Also, it was great to read that someone was happy with Costa, after all the other reports I was straing to be afraid of our cruise on the Serena, starting on the 27th of March.

Thank you for taking the time to share your exprience and pics.

We were on the same cruise and had a fantastic time.

We booked the weekend prior, at a cost of £169pp for an Inside cabin. Emirates flights ex GLA were reasonable, which made it all the better. We originally had began looking at the MSC Splendida or Costa Diadema in the Med, before realising that we could get to Dubai for not much more.

This was our second Costa cruise, having done numerous with Royal Caribbean and MSC. I feel that both Royal and MSC are a level above Costa in terms of entertainment, food and the ship itself. However, I feel that the Costa product, relative to the price, is absolutely fantastic and we wouldn't hesitate to sail with them again (Just perhaps not at £1000pp cruise only).

There were niggles which I believe put Royal and MSC at an advantage:

- As mentioned above soft drinks and water were served in small glasses.

- The late night pizza now costs extra.

- No live band at the pool or theatre (MSC doesn't have a theatre band)

- Decor is a takes a little getting used to.

However, service (especially bar service in lounges) was the best we have experienced on any ship. Weighing up the entire trip, we got fantastic value for money, paying around 20% of what we usually pay, and found Costa to deliver only a slightly less polished product.

We booked the Dhow cruise also, albeit through a private tour operator. We were also absolutely frozen and soaked on the way back. But we enjoyed the trip. Quite a unique experience. Nothing could be done about the temperature of the wind or wave height.

I hope what I have wrote doesn't sound negative, as it isn't intended to be. We had a great break and will definitely consider Costa for future, especially winter/last minute breaks where the price is a little lower.

Happy to answer any questions!