Costa Magica, worth a try?

FinnCruiser

We are thinking of 11 night cruise from Savonna to western Med. Never been on a Italian Cruise ship. Only seen the Italians getting on and off their ships in various destinations. It makes one wonder is it that chaotic onboard also? I read good about the cabins. Is it worth paying exra for premium balcony cabin? Does anybody know how their transport from Genoa operates? We come from scandinavia, so we are used to be minority on any cruise ship.

The Costa transfer leaves Genoa Airport at about 13:00 on embarkation day and takes about 3/4 hour to Savona, there is a Costa lounge at the airport where you can check in. On the return transfer, you will be given a certain colour luggage lables and a time and place to meet on the ship on disembarkation day. After you have left the ship, collected your luggage your bus will be waiting outside, leaves about 10:00.

We always fly in a day before embarkation, hotel near the airport, then free hotel shuttle back to the airport.

I've done the same as GMT except from Milan (MXP). From North America, I arrive 3 days early for jet lag. The Costa transfer takes you straight to the ship, the rail station in Savona is (2 km?) away. Cost was competitive.

I'm convinced there are two Costas- one is off-season, which I travel on. The other is European vacation and kids travel free- I avoid that one like the plague. Be interesting to know what cruise line Grumpy thinks doesn't have rude passengers. Over on the Solo board, LoisR just posted a real horror story about her recent experience on Celebrity.

Edited by Dancer Bob

We are thinking of 11 night cruise from Savonna to western Med. Never been on a Italian Cruise ship. Only seen the Italians getting on and off their ships in various destinations. It makes one wonder is it that chaotic onboard also? I read good about the cabins. Is it worth paying exra for premium balcony cabin? Does anybody know how their transport from Genoa operates? We come from scandinavia, so we are used to be minority on any cruise ship.

-------------

Hallo nabo :)

You are going to love Costa.

Costa is like the ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki....:rolleyes:

Only with more bars, better cabins and better pizza...

Yes, you must take a premimum cabin.

Then you get free breakfast in cabin and better location for the cabins!

And of course italian are italians..

Most of them in night is like you and me after a cople of beers in the sauna...:D

If you like to dance and if you like children you will also love Costa.

The food is good, and very good if you like pasta and pizza.

I've been to many Costa ships and answer a lot of your questions...

Wish I could do in norsk/swedish, but that is not allowed here, so it gonna be sort of english.....

• 4 weeks later...

Not on the Magica but I had an aft balcony cabin on the Atlantica and I was very near the back on the Serena.

I quite like that location as a lot of their ships have an adults only pool aft with a bar and a small outdoor buffet area. It is nice and quiet usually, so a cabin at the back is quick to get there.

I love watching the wake of the ship from the balcony too.