Azamara Cancelled/Changed Greek Cruise

angrod

After reading the wonderful reviews about this cruise that was from Istanbul to the Greek Islands (in Azamara booklet as 7 day Sultan's Palace to the Acropolis 16-june-2016) We booked and placed deposit in Nov.2014. At $2499pp for a Club Veranda it was a deal not to be missed. Accidentally while looking for information I found that the Cruise by March 16 2015 had been drastically changed. When we contacted our travel agent and she Azamara, their customer service said that they had contacted both ourselves, the travel agent and our travelling companions. Three separate email accounts with three separate contact phone numbers. None of us received this notification. We were now going to ITALY for 4/7 of this cuise and 3/7 to Greece (now called 7 day Amalfi Coast to Greece). As we already had been to all ports of call except those in Greece, we tried to change this cruse to a 10 day one that in Dec 2014 was advertised in their booklet for $3599pp (10 nights Acropolis to Venice). A simple change that would have honored Azamara original booklet, and given Azamara more money.

After six days of Azamara communication through our travel agent to us (March 26th to April 1st) Azamara replied that due to all the other guests that might possibly be upset by this change of theirs the best they could do would be $4242pp (verses THEIR OWN online offer of $3600pp) this made no sense. We would have gladly paid the additional money given Azamara original advertised special in their mailed booklet. But given "all the other people" that might see this scam they tried to (in my opinion) bait and switch this cruise with no notification to anyone. Only luck had us see it before the Feb 2016 no refund date.

FROM OUR TRAVEL AGENT TO US:

I sent the email below to the many people who did try to help with your request. The denial is coming from the TOP, a policy put in place because it would impact thousands of people on many sailings. I received a phone call, and it is my understanding this message is being conveyed to the people at the TOP. I will keep you posted: ............

...... I very much appreciate how hard everyone worked as individuals to help secure these clients the original pricing they would have received had they reserved the June 23rd 2016 sailing at the time they booked the June 16th, 2016 sailing. However, I am deeply disappointed that the Azamara brand has displayed such disregard for a reasonable request made by these clients, and am equally dismayed by the lack of support it has provided to a national account that generates so much revenue for it.

The fact remains that these four clients did book early enough to take advantage of the discounted rates, as advertised in a brochure they have in their hands. It is through no fault of their own that the itinerary changed, and it would have been a disaster had air been ticketed as the ports of call originate in different countries! Instead of creating goodwill by meeting their realistic request, we now have four clients who tell me they will never consider sailing Azamara again, and who are angry at me for the lack of communication about the change (I was never notified), and for also being unable to resolve the situation to their satisfaction. I am very upset that the cruise line has put me in this compromising position. How can I be expected to support the Azamara brand if the brand does not support its agents or its passengers?.......

....I don't get to speak directly with Revenue, so I don't have a name. If you are going to write about the issue, simply state the cruise line and department. If you want to write to the President of Azamara, or mention a name, the President and CEO is:

Larry Pimentel.

FROM AZAMARA TO US

Pleasure speaking to you.

As discussed, I truly apologize but we are not able to deviate from the

redeployment package and honor the rate.

The new rate for JR 06/23/16

First passenger including taxes is $5849.76 Second passenger $2974.76=

total for 2 $8824.52

This is a difference from the original booking of $3539.26

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

PS: A random search today 04-11-2015 puts this cruise price at $4122pp

Azamara lost FOUR guests and will never see us again after what we consider a lack of respect to their clients.

This is my biggest fear with booking Azamara.

Friends of mine had their August, 2016 Journey itinerary completely changed so they cancelled. I have a cruise on hold for August, 2016 on Journey and I'm fearful of placing a deposit today only to find out in a few months time that the itinerary will completey change OR the cruise will be chartered. I have sailed with Oceania 5 times and this has never happened.

I'm sorry this happened to you....it appears this happens quite often with Azamara.

Edited by JVNYC

Last year i booked a 14 day cruise with a promo for 25% off excursions booked up to 4 days prior to departing. They withdrew that discount without telling me. When I questioned it, I was told that they can change anything without notice. Read the fine print. They can do it ...and they do. On board I met Aussies who had booked a 50% off excursion promo and were equally angry when Azamara did not honor their promo. While I respect a cruise not sailing into dangerous areas, I do not respect a cruise line that seems to make it up as they go. Can you cancel and rebook? Or, if you can cancel, would you want to rebook? Although I still like Azamara cruises, I am hesitant to book again after my experience and reading of other people's experiences. It may be a long time before I sail again on Azamara. Good luck.

Angrod,

I'm very surprised you have had these issues with rebooking. We, too, were booked on the June 16th cruise that was changed and we switched to a British Isles cruise on the Quest for July instead. Not only was our TA able to negotiate a highly discounted promotional fare for the new voyage, but we were able (after a couple of discussions back and forth) to transfer our $1000 OBC from the June 16th cruise to the British Isles voyage. Azamara and our TA worked magic for us. I'm not sure where the issue lies in your situation, but this is very unusual, as the TA works for the client and Azamara works to retain customers.

Michael

Angrod,

I'm very surprised you have had these issues with rebooking. We, too, were booked on the June 16th cruise that was changed and we switched to a British Isles cruise on the Quest for July instead. Not only was our TA able to negotiate a highly discounted promotional fare for the new voyage, but we were able (after a couple of discussions back and forth) to transfer our $1000 OBC from the June 16th cruise to the British Isles voyage. Azamara and our TA worked magic for us. I'm not sure where the issue lies in your situation, but this is very unusual, as the TA works for the client and Azamara works to retain customers.

Michael

Hi TexAquarian, I appreciate your response to angrod. As you say Azamara would always prefer to keep our guests than lose them with ill will. Changing an itinerary is a very serious matter for us, only undertaken when the situation demands it. It is rare, and never done on a whim. Once decided that an itin must be altered many people of many departments work to ensure the booked guests are notified through their travel professional and the team works to keep the guests sailing with Azamara. The worst case scenario for us is to lose bookings close-in with little time to resell the space. I can't speculate what happened in the OP's situation. I do hope they / their agent will continue to push for a satisfactory solution.

Hi Bonnie. Quick question: have the 2016 charters all been set? I'm very interested in booking my first Azamara cruise in August, 2016 yet I'm hesitant b/c of the possibility of it disappearing into a charter months from now. If that won't happen I'm happy to deposit today.

I appreciate any info you have...thanks!

Edited by JVNYC

Hi Bonnie. Quick question: have the 2016 charters all been set? I'm very interested in booking my first Azamara cruise in August, 2016 yet I'm hesitant b/c of the possibility of it disappearing into a charter months from now. If that won't happen I'm happy to deposit today.

I appreciate any info you have...thanks!

I'm not kept in the loop on future charters. I do know the closer in to sailing date the less likelihood a voyage will be chartered.

If the voyage you book does get chartered you would receive your money back plus a good deal on another voyage. I'd say go ahead and book!