Corkage Policy Makes No Sense to Me

Bfson

Then there would be a screwage fee. :D

Or an un-screwage fee......:p ;).....LOL

Mmm I thnk we had better lay this one to rest before we get banned from CC :D

FWIW I have absolutely no problem with the $10 corkage fee. Just because they have included wine makes no difference to me.

As the OP, I conclude that the policy IS illogical but it is their ship and they get to set the rules.

Since our cruise in 2017 leaves from our home town, i will bring good stuff, pay the corkage fee, and not fret about it.

As the OP, I conclude that the policy IS illogical but it is their ship and they get to set the rules.

Since our cruise in 2017 leaves from our home town, i will bring good stuff, pay the corkage fee, and not fret about it.

on that cruise??? As our home town is SD as well? LuAnn

Once again, you refuse to recognize why the policy is as it is. Just like any land-based restaurant, Azamara sells "good stuff" in its restaurants, and like any land-based restaurant, it's one of the ways they generate revenue. You don't walk into land-based restaurants with your bottles of "good stuff" and not expect to pay a corkage fee, do you? No, I didn't think so.

Once again, you refuse to recognize why the policy is as it is. Just like any land-based restaurant, Azamara sells "good stuff" in its restaurants, and like any land-based restaurant, it's one of the ways they generate revenue. You don't walk into land-based restaurants with your bottles of "good stuff" and not expect to pay a corkage fee, do you? No, I didn't think so.

Not trying to argue but, think you missed one of the OP's points and I will try to enumerate his issue.

The examples used by you and many others would be understood if the restaurant or cruise line did not have included wine. Your rationale about always paying in a restaurant that only sells and doesn't give wine for free makes sense. The OP's issue is that wine is included on Azamara, not the "good stuff" but, drinkable wine. The OP is actually saving Azamara money by bringing his own wine rather than Azamara opening an included bottle and paying for the bottle and gratuity so Azamara is actually saving some money in addition to getting an additional $10 per bottle. Now, having said that, perhaps the $10 corkage is less than any other cruise line that allows people to bring their own wine but, there is a rationale for the cruise line to simply open and serve the OP's wine in lieu of their included wine.

Believe that is the OP's rationale for being a bit upset and IMHO a valid point to be considered. He has said he doesn't agree and will pay the corkage and enjoy the cruise which is a good thing but, just thought I would present what I believe the OP is concerned about as a rationale concern. As he said, and I agree, they make the rules so we all comply.

The examples used by you and many others would be understood if the restaurant or cruise line did not have included wine. Your rationale about always paying in a restaurant that only sells and doesn't give wine for free makes sense. The OP's issue is that wine is included on Azamara, not the "good stuff" but, drinkable wine. The OP is actually saving Azamara money by bringing his own wine rather than Azamara opening an included bottle and paying for the bottle and gratuity so Azamara is actually saving some money in addition to getting an additional $10 per bottle. Now, having said that, perhaps the $10 corkage is less than any other cruise line that allows people to bring their own wine but, there is a rationale for the cruise line to simply open and serve the OP's wine in lieu of their included wine.

Yes. Any analysis that fails to include the free wine from Azamara is fatally flawed. If this were a ship that did not include wine, or a restaurant on shore, such an analysis would be logical. Corkage is designed to cover the restaurant's lost profit on selling a bottle. The isn't any here.Quite the opposite

Edited by Bfson

Not trying to argue but, think you missed one of the OP's points and I will try to enumerate his issue.

Believe that is the OP's rationale for being a bit upset and IMHO a valid point to be considered. He has said he doesn't agree and will pay the corkage and enjoy the cruise which is a good thing but, just thought I would present what I believe the OP is concerned about as a rationale concern. As he said, and I agree, they make the rules so we all comply.

No, no, no. I read his point and it's irrelevant. Many restaurants serve a house wine with a prix fixe dinner, but still offer "good stuff" at additional cost if you want to indulge in such. And they still charge a corkage fee if you bring your own--if they even let you bring your own.

That's a red herring used to justify what would be rather petty behavior, I regret to say.

"Rather petty behavior? Wow lacking logic the position turns nasty. Tsk tsk
You appear to be incapable of understanding even the simplest logic. Azamara ships sell wine, like any good restaurant. Do you bring wine when you go to a restaurant that sells wine? You have never answered that. It's not that difficult to understand.

Your flawed logic--that a restaurant that serves a house wine at no charge should allow you to bring your own--is only valid if that restaurant does not offer wine for sale, in which case you are not taking potential revenue from them by bringing your own. But I suspect you will not want to understand that rather simple piece of logic, either.

This is the whole story:

Guests wishing to bring personal wine and champagne onboard may do so only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption.

Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops during the cruise vacation will be stored onboard and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing.

That is something we should all be grateful for. Azamara is very lenient as far as what we can bring on board. If we're in a port and want to buy a bottle of wine or purchase some of the local beer, we can do it and there are no questions asked.

My feeling is, we should all be grateful they have a policy like this. Yes, we do have included beverages, but if DH wants to sample some local wine, he is free to do so and he uncorks it himself. We do not take it to the dining room but it's nice to have a glass of wine on the balcony.

Maybe we should be thankful for what we do have instead of "rocking the boat". I would be unhappy if they ever decided to change their policy regarding alcohol.

And, fwiw, Azamara has some really good wines they offer in the included package. He never felt the need to bring wines from home or upgrade the drink package. Besides, you're taking a chance of breakage when you travel with wine. I can't imagine starting a cruise with a lot of wine stained clothing.

on that cruise??? As our home town is SD as well? LuAnn

It is the Feb 2017 cruise from San Diego that goes to Mexico (including a shore excursion to the Copper Canyon). Twelve days ending back in San Diego.

It is the Feb 2017 cruise from San Diego that goes to Mexico (including a shore excursion to the Copper Canyon). Twelve days ending back in San Diego.

I'll take a look at it! Sounds like a great cruise...and you will love the Copper Canyon...but be aware it is a very long trip/day!! LuAnn

[/b]

That is something we should all be grateful for. Azamara is very lenient as far as what we can bring on board. If we're in a port and want to buy a bottle of wine or purchase some of the local beer, we can do it and there are no questions asked.

My feeling is, we should all be grateful they have a policy like this. Yes, we do have included beverages, but if DH wants to sample some local wine, he is free to do so and he uncorks it himself. We do not take it to the dining room but it's nice to have a glass of wine on the balcony.

Maybe we should be thankful for what we do have instead of "rocking the boat". I would be unhappy if they ever decided to change their policy regarding alcohol.

And, fwiw, Azamara has some really good wines they offer in the included package. He never felt the need to bring wines from home or upgrade the drink package. Besides, you're taking a chance of breakage when you travel with wine. I can't imagine starting a cruise with a lot of wine stained clothing.

You might want to peruse the Oceania board. Numerous posts on cruisers bringing on board CASES of wine with no issues. And one pays for wine and alcohol on Oceania.

You might want to peruse the Oceania board. Numerous posts on cruisers bringing on board CASES of wine with no issues. And one pays for wine and alcohol on Oceania.

Gotta love people who write stuff while doing no research on the subject.

From the Oceania web site:

What is your alcohol policy?

The sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages will be limited to guests aged 21 years or older. Oceania Cruises will refuse and prohibit the sale of alcoholic beverages to guests under the age of 21 years. Guests are kindly reminded to consume alcohol in moderation. Oceania Cruises reserves the right to prohibit and retain all alcohol bought ashore for consumption on board the vessel.

Can I purchase bottles of wine at ports of call and bring them on board?

Guests wishing to purchase wine in a port of call and bring it on board with them may do so, limited to three (3) bottles per stateroom. Guests are welcome to enjoy their wine in the comfort and privacy of their stateroom or suite, or, if they prefer, may enjoy their wine in one of the ship's dining rooms. Any wine consumed in the dining room or a public area will be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00 per bottle.

Gotta love people who write stuff while doing no research on the subject.

From the Oceania web site:

What is your alcohol policy?

The sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages will be limited to guests aged 21 years or older. Oceania Cruises will refuse and prohibit the sale of alcoholic beverages to guests under the age of 21 years. Guests are kindly reminded to consume alcohol in moderation. Oceania Cruises reserves the right to prohibit and retain all alcohol bought ashore for consumption on board the vessel.

Can I purchase bottles of wine at ports of call and bring them on board?

Guests wishing to purchase wine in a port of call and bring it on board with them may do so, limited to three (3) bottles per stateroom. Guests are welcome to enjoy their wine in the comfort and privacy of their stateroom or suite, or, if they prefer, may enjoy their wine in one of the ship's dining rooms. Any wine consumed in the dining room or a public area will be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00 per bottle.

Thanks for the clarification, Marinaro. That's certainly different than what was posted earlier. :rolleyes: I just noticed that poster has just the one post.

Edited by midwestchick

Thanks for the clarification, Marinaro. That's certainly different than what was posted earlier. :rolleyes: I just noticed that poster has just the one post.

As we are considering Oceania in the future, have been following the Oceania Board for awhile. Yes, what was posted is the official policy however after reading numerous posts regarding that subject, Oceania has that policy in place should passengers become rowdy, drunk, etc. as it provides coverage for confiscating guests liquor and/or putting the passenger off at the next port.

In actuality, people are NOT stopped from bringing cases of wine, beer or liquor on board and that has been documented by many different people within numerous posts. Have been watching for a couple of years now and no reports of anyone not being allowed all the alcohol they want to bring on board and that includes before and after the NCLH purchase.

While there is always the risk of having your alcohol being kept and released after your cruise, that has not been the case over several if not more years. So, in essence the same policy in actuality to Azamara with the rule shown on the website and if you phone or write to Oceania, the policy is the party line.

Took the HAL World Cruise a few years ago and their written policy is similar to Oceania and just as similar not enforced. Had a friend bring about 6 cases of fine wine on board without issue and we brought a full case and replenished along the way as we visited vineyards. Also brought beer and liquor right thru the x-ray machine without a blink of the eye.

Am confident the written policy is there to cover them and is not enforced except perhaps in severe issues. The person with only one post is correct no matter what the written policy is.

Am confident the written policy is there to cover them and is not enforced except perhaps in severe issues. The person with only one post is correct no matter what the written policy is.

This thread is about corkage fees. You've said nothing about that.

This thread is about corkage fees. You've said nothing about that.

Sorry about that, thought the concern was over the Oceania policy of only 3 bottles vs. unlimited on Azamara and am sure that is a concern.

The $25 corkage on Oceania per bottle not consumed in your cabin is correct vs. Azamara's of $10 which is very reasonable. Oceania does not include any alcohol in their fare, they have drinks packages or pay Ala Carte versus Azamara including some alcohol.

Sorry about that, thought the concern was over the Oceania policy of only 3 bottles vs. unlimited on Azamara and am sure that is a concern.

The $25 corkage on Oceania per bottle not consumed in your cabin is correct vs. Azamara's of $10 which is very reasonable. Oceania does not include any alcohol in their fare, they have drinks packages or pay Ala Carte versus Azamara including some alcohol.

Thanks for the info.

So, let's recap:

Azamara pours wine freely at lunch and dinner and charges for "better" wines from its wine list. Oceania charges for all wine at lunch and dinner. Azamara has a $10 corkage fee and Oceania's is $25 for wine bought ashore and consumed in public areas.

Azamara's fare also includes "standard" brands of beer and liquor at bars and in the dining room. Oceania charges for all wine, beer, and liquor not consumed in your stateroom.

Both lines let you bring unlimited alcohol on board for consumption in your stateroom, Azamara by its policy and Oceania by not enforcing its policy.

Is that correct?

Thanks for the info.

So, let's recap:

Azamara pours wine freely at lunch and dinner and charges for "better" wines from its wine list. Oceania charges for all wine at lunch and dinner. Azamara has a $10 corkage fee and Oceania's is $25 for wine bought ashore and consumed in public areas.

Azamara's fare also includes "standard" brands of beer and liquor at bars and in the dining room. Oceania charges for all wine, beer, and liquor not consumed in your stateroom.

Both lines let you bring unlimited alcohol on board for consumption in your stateroom, Azamara by its policy and Oceania by not enforcing its policy.

Is that correct?

Think you've got it. As an addition, many people buy the unlimited drink package for $60/day or the wine and beer package at meals for $40/day. Seems pretty pricy to me except have heard that drinks bought ala carte when you include the mandatory 18% gratuity become very expensive. Even so seems you have to drink a lot every day to cover the prices charged and once you buy the package, you pay for the rest of the cruise, no cancellation.

The including drinks are just fine for my DW and I on Azamara. Hope all this info helps others who are considering Oceania or staying with Azamara.

• 4 weeks later...
If this was a restaurant on shore, where the guests can choose to buy wine or not, I would have no problem with a $10 corkage fee. (In fact I'd call it a bargain.) But here wine is included with meals. That fact, to me, changes the situation.

The wine that is included is the Wine of the day. One Red. One White. (and i think a blush as well). Sometimes they can find the wine of the day from another day and let you have that but all you are promised is the wine of the day. Clearly some people will want a different wine and will either Buy from the cruise ship or bring their own. They charge the corkage so they make money either way.