Poor Azamara Customer Service

woolfman2

First, we are not new to cruising, having had the pleasure of sailing on Reagent five times and on Oceania twice.

Last week, during the Accent on Spain cruise on Oceania, we were researching cruises for the summer of 2015 and were sad to discover that neither Reagent nor Oceania had cruises that we were interested in. Then, having read good things on this board about Azamara, we reviewed their offerings and were very interested in the departure on Quest on 18 July 2015 (British Open Final Voyage). At that point in time, this cruise was eligible for the second person half off promotion. Unfortunately, because we were out of the country, I did not feel comfortable making a booking while at sea.

Imagine my chagrin when this morning I checked prices and noted that this cruise was no longer eligible for the second person half off promotion, resulting in an almost $4000 price increase. At that point in time, I called Azamara to inquire about the pricing change. The first individual I spoke to, Charlie, denied that this cruise was ever eligible for the promotion. I stated that I did in fact see that last week it was eligible and asked to speak to his supervisor. The second person I spoke to was able to confirm that initially this voyage was eligible and that eligibility was withdrawn "by corporate" two days ago. I indicated that I was out of the country and unable to book last week and that today was the first opportunity I had to place a booking. He stated that there was nothing he could do and suggested that I call the customer service number.

I called the number and was informed that that number was only to be used for post cruise issues and was returned to an individual in the bookings department. This individual, Carlos, at least indicated that he would talk to his supervisor about the matter and call me back within the hour. Unfortunately, I never received a call back.

In a final attempt to escalate this special circumstance to someone who might be able to help, I called the customer service number again and, intending to send a registered letter, asked for the name of the head of customer relations for Azamara. The individual stated that she did not have a name, and that I should just send my message to the general customer relations email. I stated in return, that I preferred to address my comments to an individual rather than an anonymous email and asked again for the name of a senior individual in customer relations that I could deal with via registered mail. The individual replied that she could not supply a name.

I am well aware that the "fine print" associated with all special offers permits them to be withdrawn without notice; however, in my case, I felt that I should at least have the opportunity to make a case for an exception to someone with the authority to make an exception. The inability of Azamara customer service to even provide the name of someone in authority says a lot about the attitude that Azamara apparently has towards its potential customers; especially someone who has travelled on the ships of its direct competitors.

Even though the 18 July itinerary is very interesting to us, at this point in time we question whether Azamara is a company that we want to give our hard earned dollars to.

Sorry to hear that you've had troubles with Azamara's customer service. I've never sailed with AZ and am certainly not a "cheerleader" for them yet, but I'm not surprised they won't honor your request for an exemption. I don't think that any company can accommodate people's varying requests for offers that were once available and no longer are. A promotion is a limited time event and those who don't jump on it when it's available (no matter what their reasoning is for waiting) are out of luck. Otherwise, everyone would contact the company after the fact with different excuses.

As I said, I have not sailed with AZ, but have two voyages booked and am on these boards often. From what I have heard, customer service has been spotty ever since the call center was relocated to Guatemala. It sounds like maybe that's what you experienced. However, AZ customer service onboard (from what I have heard) is stellar, so I would hate for you to rule them out over this issue. I am giving them a test run in December on a 9-day cruise and hope they live up to their hype.

Michael

I am well aware that promotions have a limited time span, however, in the case of this promotion, the original Azamara promotion webpage, of which I have a cached copy, indicated the promotion was valid 1 August through 30 September, hence, I did not anticipate an issue booking the cruise when I returned home on 17 August. It is also interesting to note that when the offer was originally posted on the Azamara website 92 cruises were included and that as of today it is down to 90. So indicating that the promotion would last until 30 September is a bit misleading. Yes, I know the T&Cs indicate that things could change at will, but never having experienced an event such as this in my dealings with Reagent or Oceania, I fully expected the promotion to be available when I returned stateside.

I am well aware that promotions have a limited time span, however, in the case of this promotion, the original Azamara promotion webpage, of which I have a cached copy, indicated the promotion was valid 1 August through 30 September, hence, I did not anticipate an issue booking the cruise when I returned home on 17 August. It is also interesting to note that when the offer was originally posted on the Azamara website 92 cruises were included and that as of today it is down to 90. So indicating that the promotion would last until 30 September is a bit misleading. Yes, I know the T&Cs indicate that things could change at will, but never having experienced an event such as this in my dealings with Reagent or Oceania, I fully expected the promotion to be available when I returned stateside.

Do you have a travel agent? Mine usually handles these types of situations very well and navigates the various levels of whom to speak with.

Michael

Last week, during the Accent on Spain cruise on Oceania, we were researching cruises for the summer of 2015 and were sad to discover that neither Reagent nor Oceania had cruises that we were interested in. Then, having read good things on this board about Azamara, we reviewed their offerings and were very interested in the departure on Quest on 18 July 2015 (British Open Final Voyage). At that point in time, this cruise was eligible for the second person half off promotion. Unfortunately, because we were out of the country, I did not feel comfortable making a booking while at sea.

Is it possible that this cruise was removed from the promotion due to no more availability? Since 90 others are still listed.

I have a TA that I can email from anywhere to put a cruise on hold if I am interested in it.

Availability is not an issue. Still 6 of eight cabins available in the class we are interested in. Appears that Azamara is playing the same "game" that airlines play, changing prices, by enabling and disabling promotions at the wim of management or, more likely, computer models. While the other lines I have sailed on have, at times, added cruises that were not initially listed to promotions before the promotion ended, this is the first time I have seen the reverse. Furthermore, it is the first time I have been outright lied to by customer service; they initially denied that the cruise was ever available for the promotion, and then, when I indicated that I had a cached copy of the promotion web page from 10 August, back peddling and referring to the T&Cs (which requires an extra click) indicating that promotions can be withdrawn selectively at any time. Again, the promotion page listed the promotion period from 1 August to 30 September in big print.

Whether event happened because of the outsourcing of customer service to an ex-US firm or not, out right lying to customers is not acceptable and paints a poor picture of the firm.

Furthermore, it is the first time I have been outright lied to by customer service; they initially denied that the cruise was ever available for the promotion, and then, when I indicated that I had a cached copy of the promotion web page from 10 August, back peddling and referring to the T&Cs (which requires an extra click) indicating that promotions can be withdrawn selectively at any time. Again, the promotion page listed the promotion period from 1 August to 30 September in big print.

Whether event happened because of the outsourcing of customer service to an ex-US firm or not, out right lying to customers is not acceptable and paints a poor picture of the firm.

I think we should refrain from the accusation of "lying". It's also possible that the agent was simply un- or misinformed about whether that cruise was involved in the "special". They would be looking at a current screen.

Once corrected, they correctly did refer you to the appropriate "terms and conditions".

Availability is not an issue. Still 6 of eight cabins available in the class we are interested in. Appears that Azamara is playing the same "game" that airlines play, changing prices, by enabling and disabling promotions at the wim of management or, more likely, computer models. While the other lines I have sailed on have, at times, added cruises that were not initially listed to promotions before the promotion ended, this is the first time I have seen the reverse. Furthermore, it is the first time I have been outright lied to by customer service; they initially denied that the cruise was ever available for the promotion, and then, when I indicated that I had a cached copy of the promotion web page from 10 August, back peddling and referring to the T&Cs (which requires an extra click) indicating that promotions can be withdrawn selectively at any time. Again, the promotion page listed the promotion period from 1 August to 30 September in big print.

The law of supply and demand applies wherever you are. As a shareholder, I am happy the cruise line does use some revenue management and it is likely that they had reached the inventory level that meant that no more specials would be offered on that sailing - not that the ship was full but that the inventory had reached a trigger point

As we say here - you snooze you loose and sadly that seems to be what has happened to you

I see lying as being a deliberate act. I am not a fan of the outsourced arrangements in place yet, however I am also not sure whether you were lied to or whether, more likely it was accidental and the call agents did not understand information on their screen, which is something that has been reported on other threads

I hope you find a sailing on a line that gives you the customer service you want and at your price point soon, shopping for cruises can be stressful :eek:

Edited by uktog

What the OP describes is why some of us are just disgusted with Azamara (despite the wonderful on board experience -- which at this point no longer makes up for the awful other stuff) -- and are putting our eggs in other cruise baskets.

To the OP -- for Azamara there is no "customer service" until you get on the ship. Having a TA is not helpful -- they have to deal with Guatemala too. My TA does not like dealing with them and would steer people away from Azamara at every opportunity.

Friends of mine with whom I have cruised frequently are "thinking" about an Azamara cruise. Maybe they should "think again."

It is a disease from Azamara suffers and apparently for which there is no cure. It is as if no one at Azamara reads these boards and they do not care. If you are willing to tolerate it fine. Some are. If not, look elsewhere.

I just booked cruises are two lines that are "new" to me -- NatGEo/Lindblad and Seabourn. Fabulous customer service. They will get my business.

Edited by pacheco18

It is a cancer from Azamara suffers and apparently for which there is no cure. It is as if no one at Azamara reads these boards and they do not care. If you are willing to tolerate it fine. Some are. If not, look elsewhere.

I believe if you review my posting history I have been critical of the shoreside experience on several occasions. However I believe Azamara does listen and I have personal experience that they have read these boards and that they do care. They also know there is work still to be done but there is a cure

And personally I find your reference to cancer somewhat offensive, it is not a term I believe should be used on public boards when many have some challenging issues to handle at this time related to an illness that affects so many in so many different ways

Edited by uktog

I believe if you review my posting history I have been critical of the shoreside experience on several occasions. However I believe Azamara does listen and I have personal experience that they have read these boards and that they do care. They also know there is work still to be done but there is a cure

And personally I find your reference to cancer somewhat offensive, it is not a term I believe should be used on public boards when many have some challenging issues to handle at this time related to an illness that affects so many in so many different ways

It is a metaphorical use of the word and is commonly used as such in the English language. I will spare you and everyone else the citations from the internet of which there are thousands. No offense was intended to anyone, as I am sure you are aware.

Substitute the word "disease: or "illness" if that makes you feel more comfortable. Same idea. I just edited my post and made the substitution.

Unfortunately the best you could do was not to dispute the gravamen of my post -- which is accurate -- only the choice of words. That, in essence, is the problem. "Work to be done?" Some of you have been saying that here for years. IMO time's up. I have other choices.

Edited by pacheco18

As regards offers and availability it's a fact that things do change quickly with all cruise lines and timing is everything, we changed our 2015 Quest cruise the day the BOGOHO offer went on sale from a VX to a N2 cabin. Now there is an extra offer on that cruise of $500 OBC, but on the other hand the cost of the N2 has risen by £360 ($575) so nothing lost, however other cabin grades are still the same price and some are now no longer included. All this no doubt can be put down to inventory control, P&O in the UK used to have what they referred to as "Fluid Pricing" which meant that if you phoned for a price it could only be guaranteed for the length of that phone call.

Guatemala is a different subject and as has already been covered in many threads seems to be an ongoing disaster, however after a long conversation with Azamara in the UK I do believe the problems are being taken seriously but only time will tell if the management in Guatemala have the capability of taking the actions required.

What the OP describes is why some of us are just disgusted with Azamara (despite the wonderful on board experience -- which at this point no longer makes up for the awful other stuff) -- and are putting our eggs in other cruise baskets.

To the OP -- for Azamara there is no "customer service" until you get on the ship. Having a TA is not helpful -- they have to deal with Guatemala too. My TA does not like dealing with them and would steer people away from Azamara at every opportunity.

Friends of mine with whom I have cruised frequently are "thinking" about an Azamara cruise. Maybe they should "think again."

It is a disease from Azamara suffers and apparently for which there is no cure. It is as if no one at Azamara reads these boards and they do not care. If you are willing to tolerate it fine. Some are. If not, look elsewhere.

I just booked cruises are two lines that are "new" to me -- NatGEo/Lindblad and Seabourn. Fabulous customer service. They will get my business.

We are all fed up with Guatamala. They are currently not fit for purpose and I wonder if they will ever be.

BUT I do think Azamara are disquieted by some of the experiences that CC posters are relating. In the UK the Managing Director has offered himself as a resource. He resolved an issue of mine a couple of weeks ago quickly and competently. I was very grateful.

Now today on another thread I note that Azamara Joel has posted details of people North American guests can contact for help.

It may be too little too late for some but I find it reassuring that there is somewhere to go if we have legitimate gripes.

We are all fed up with Guatamala. They are currently not fit for purpose and I wonder if they will ever be.

BUT I do think Azamara are disquieted by some of the experiences that CC posters are relating. In the UK the Managing Director has offered himself as a resource. He resolved an issue of mine a couple of weeks ago quickly and competently. I was very grateful.

Now today on another thread I note that Azamara Joel has posted details of people North American guests can contact for help.

It may be too little too late for some but I find it reassuring that there is somewhere to go if we have legitimate gripes.

I read that post from Azamara Joel and I was going to respond but felt it wasn't worth it.

What they ought to be doing (instead of asking US to identify problems) is to make some "set up" calls to the Guatemala center themselves on a variety of topics and they will see for themselves what the problems are. It's not our job to tell them what isn't working. The fact that they themselves do not know is the very root of the problem. Total failure (absence) of management.

I read that post from Azamara Joel and I was going to respond but felt it wasn't worth it.

What they ought to be doing (instead of asking US to identify problems) is to make some "set up" calls to the Guatemala center themselves on a variety of topics and they will see for themselves what the problems are. It's not our job to tell them what isn't working. The fact that they themselves do not know is the very root of the problem. Total failure (absence) of management.

Working with case based feedback from customers linked to play back call reviews of historic calls is the most effective way of improving service standards in call centres - this is well documented. I commend Azamara in the UK and overseas for the approach they are taking, it is industry best practice which is what we would expect them to do

Dummy set up calls have one day shelf life (students then tell their friends the scenarios and if you are not using actors it is very difficult to be realistic re the customer) and the creation of valid scenarios is challenging.

It is not failure or absence of management it is management following well documented practice that delivers results when they have a problem - and it is management recognising they have a problem

Edited by uktog

The law of supply and demand applies wherever you are. As a shareholder, I am happy the cruise line does use some revenue management and it is likely that they had reached the inventory level that meant that no more specials would be offered on that sailing - not that the ship was full but that the inventory had reached a trigger point

As we say here - you snooze you loose and sadly that seems to be what has happened to you

For the most part I agree with your comments, however, I can understand Woolfman's frustration.

In our case, we did not snooze but we did loose. We booked the Antarctic cruise under a different promotion while on board in February - "book it now, it is a great price, promotions are rarely offered on the Antarctica itinerary, and you will get the on-board booking discount. Okay.

Imagine my surprise when I checked the price the first day of the BOGOHO promotion. Even with the cancelation fee and the loss of the on-board booking discount, the new price was less. Our TA contacted Reservations the first day of the promotion and told us that if we re-booked we would lose a Future Cruise Credit that was given to us in compensation for an interrupted cruise in February and that we had applied to this cruise.

Again, we were surprised. Why have other cruisers, including someone on exactly the same cruise as us, been able to transfer their FCC while we have not. Where in the fine print does it say it is not transfer to a different booking? We have spent the past 2 weeks seeking clarification. No response yet.

In the meantime, AZ increased the price of a Veranda Stateroom just enough such that the BOGOHO price is no longer lower. Did they do this in response to our request? Was the price increase due to limited inventory? Our TA checked and, with the exception of the suites, there is still lots of availability.

We do not know if our experience is due to poor information coming from the call centre in Guatemala. Or, from the marketing department not communicating with the revenue department in Miami. Who knows? All I know is that I am frustrated and feel penalized for booking early.

Hello Woofman2,

Thank you for posting your situation and advising us on what has happened. As you are aware we do reserve the right to change the included voyages in the campaign based on demand, this is clearly listed in all of the communications we publish in the terms & conditions. The Quest July 18, 2015 British Open voyage is always one of our most popular, after the campaign was launched we received a large number of bookings for this sailing. Because of this demand we had have to exclude this voyage from the promotion. From your note, we know you understand this.

What is not acceptable to us is the service you have received from the customer service department. Our management team has noted your situation and we ask if you could email our Director below, so we can work out the details of what has taken place and come to a resolution that will work for both parties.

Carmen Corvos-Roig, Director of Sales, North America

Azamara Club Cruises

CRoig@AzamaraClubCruises.com

Thank you - Azamara

Pacheco and Others,

At Azamara we take the input from CC very seriously. This is from the top down, there is no question Larry, Bonnie and our entire team have made a commitment to be here on this channel reading, researching and providing responses when needed.

We can assure you that the issues, comments, concerns that are being posted here are being dealt with from every perspective within the company. As you are aware we have made changes within our call center set up. There is a dedicated project team that is working closely on training and development programs to bring the new representatives up to speed on the business. This is a long process, but we are committed to it, but we ask for your patience.

When we see a guest or potential guest of Azamara posting a significant issue on this board that has received subpar service from one of our representatives we step in. If we need to post contact information of our managers, directors and president we will, because this is that important to us.

Be confident that the internal management teams are working to improve the situation with the call center, the service level, the consistently of information and deliver to you the service you are accustomed to onboard.

Thank you - Azamara Joel.

Then, having read good things on this board about Azamara, we reviewed their offerings and were very interested in the departure on Quest on 18 July 2015 (British Open Final Voyage). I did not feel comfortable making a booking while at sea.

In a final attempt to escalate this special circumstance to someone who might be able to help,.

I just don't find this as a special circumstance. A lot of people on these boards and elsewhere are avid travels and out of (their) country often. The promotion was pulled because it was capacity filled.

If that was the case anyone could call to get a price that was available yesterday, but not today.

We have had our share of Azamara customer service issues and the way this was handled was not good, but the outcome would be the same.

Edited by Jade13

Pacheco and Others,

At Azamara we take the input from CC very seriously. This is from the top down, there is no question Larry, Bonnie and our entire team have made a commitment to be here on this channel reading, researching and providing responses when needed.

We can assure you that the issues, comments, concerns that are being posted here are being dealt with from every perspective within the company. As you are aware we have made changes within our call center set up. There is a dedicated project team that is working closely on training and development programs to bring the new representatives up to speed on the business. This is a long process, but we are committed to it, but we ask for your patience.

When we see a guest or potential guest of Azamara posting a significant issue on this board that has received subpar service from one of our representatives we step in. If we need to post contact information of our managers, directors and president we will, because this is that important to us.

Be confident that the internal management teams are working to improve the situation with the call center, the service level, the consistently of information and deliver to you the service you are accustomed to onboard.

Thank you - Azamara Joel.

Thank you Azamara Joel. That is good to hear.

I just don't find this as a special circumstance. A lot of people on these boards and elsewhere are avid travels and out of (their) country often. The promotion was pulled because it was capacity filled.

If that was the case anyone could call to get a price that was available yesterday, but not today.

We have had our share of Azamara customer service issues and the way this was handled was not good, but the outcome would be the same.

I agree on all counts Jade. I'm sorry for whatever OP's circumstances were, but many offers are capacity controlled, and as such, are subject to change and/or removal. As we've all learned over the years, pricing changes quickly, so when you see something you like, it's always best to act fast.

On the bright side, Azamara has responded, and the OP now has a contact. Hopefully, they will be able to assist the member, and we wish him/her all the best.

At the suggestion of AzamaraJoel, I have sent my contact information to Ms. Corvos-Roig, and look forward to hearing from her. I will keep board readers informed regarding the contact.

To Azamara staff reading this board, I thank you for providing me with a contact into your organization; I truly hope you are serious in your commitment to improve customer service going forward.

While I have yet to sail, I have a cruise booked for November this year and thus far my interaction with Azamara customer service has been incredibly great. I have dealt with X pre-cruise customer service and I have found they treat you with disdain, whereas the Azamara pre-cruise service has been simply wonderful and can find no fault with them. I find they have gone above and beyond. I hope that this continues up to the cruise and throughout the voyage! Now if only they could do something about their web site!!!!

Hello Sabbycat, thank you for the kind words for our Customer Service. I'll make sure they receive your compliments.

Bonnie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will echo what Sabbycat said. I've just gotten off the phone with customer service and the young man I was speaking to was very helpful. I wanted to know if there was complimentary shuttle bus service from two of our ports that we are doing on our own. He put me on hold for only a few minutes and came back to tell me that there was indeed service, told me how often the bus ran, how long the trip was, and where it dropped us off.

So please everyone, don't write off Azamara customer service! There are times when it works exactly as it should, and it's great. ;)