Visiting Malta

BBMacLaird

Have you been to Malta? I haven't but after reading this post I think I need to go... Visiting the Mediterranean Island of Malta, by our resident guest blogger, Lee Abbamonte.

In 2015 we have two voyages going to Malta; 2 in 2016; and 6 voyages in 2017! I think I might just be able to find one that works for DH&me:

10 Night - Isles of Greece Voyage, embarking August 6, 2015

11 Night - Acropolis, Rome & Florence Voyage, embarking October 21, 2015

12 Night - Aegean Sea to Rome Voyage, embarking June 4, 2016

7 Night - Sicily & Malta Voyage, embarking September 30, 2016

Marinaro44

Was the name of the Co-cathedral St John's?

We are trying to decide whether to attend the Azamara Amazing evening which consists of a choral evening of classical music. It is being held in St Johns.

There doesn't seem to be a tour of the cathedral included and we were going to visit during the day.

Any advice welcome.

Marinaro44

Was the name of the Co-cathedral St John's?

We are trying to decide whether to attend the Azamara Amazing evening which consists of a choral evening of classical music. It is being held in St Johns.

There doesn't seem to be a tour of the cathedral included and we were going to visit during the day.

Any advice welcome.

It is St. John's.

http://stjohnscocathedral.com

Bonnie,

In my opinion, Malta is not to be missed. We've been there twice and could go again and see different things. There is a lot to see in Valetta alone and the St. John's Cathedral is amazing.

We did the Sicily/Malta cruise last year. It was the second leg of our b2b.

M'Dina, Marsaxlokk, (the sleepy fisihing village), the cliffs and blue grotto are all wonderful places to see. Here are a few teaser photos for you.

1514.jpg

1538.jpg

1542.jpg

1614.jpg

1623.jpg

1667.jpg

Lovely photos midwestchick!

What is that building with the green painted balconies (last photo)?

I honestly do not know what the building is, Bonnie. That is the Grand Harbor of Valetta. It was our view from our balcony on both of our cruises to Malta.

Maybe someone can chime in with more informaiton.

As I mentioned...there is still a lot to see and learn after two visits to Malta. ;)

I'm still hoping for a Sicily only cruise on Azamara. A touch of Malta would be welcome on that itinerary as well.

It's the building in the port within feet of where the ships dock. I do not know what it once was, but it is now filled with shops and restaurants. Many of the crew on the ship I was on last summer (not Azamara) headed to the Hard Rock Café there.

I will second what many others have said: Malta is a fascinating place to visit. It was the highlight of a month long Mediterranean cruise for me last fall. Be sure to be out watching when the ship enters and docks in the stunning harbor. It's a very short walk to an elevator that lifts you up the cliff to the main town of Valetta. It is an amazing city that is quite easy to see on one's own for those who are not into organized tours. I would suggest that visitors read up in advance about the Knights of Malta. It will put much of what is in the city in the proper context

Edited by Keystonetraveler

While I agree with others that Malta is beautiful, Valetta is quite touristy. If you don't do your research, it could be a disappointment.

We wandered the (very hilly) streets off the main drag and found some fascinating spots. It is somewhat eerily beautiful.

I'm still hoping for a Sicily only cruise on Azamara. A touch of Malta would be welcome on that itinerary as well.

Our very first Azamara cruise from Barcelona to Rome in October 2012 had four stops in Sicily and one in Malta, as well as a stop in Salerno which we used to go to Paestum. That itinerary was a dream one for us archaeology buffs; I found out that two of the four Sicily stops were substituted earlier than we booked for what had been planned Libya stops.

I too would love a Sicily only/primarily itinerary to explore further this most beautiful island.

Our very first Azamara cruise from Barcelona to Rome in October 2012 had four stops in Sicily and one in Malta, as well as a stop in Salerno which we used to go to Paestum. That itinerary was a dream one for us archaeology buffs; I found out that two of the four Sicily stops were substituted earlier than we booked for what had been planned Libya stops.

I too would love a Sicily only/primarily itinerary to explore further this most beautiful island.

Maybe ACC will do something in 2018....meanwhile, I'm not getting any younger. ;)

I do hope they read all the suggestions that people have posted on Azamara Asks.