what to wear in West Caribbean in late January

I tried searching the archives, but didn't really find what I was looking for. Can anyone who has been on a similar cruise (Fort Lauderdale, Belize, Cozumel) in late January give me an idea of the weather? I am leaving from (and obviously returning to) upstate NY, so most likely cold and snowy. I am guessing Florida will be warmer, but probably still pants and light weight long-sleeves? I am HOPING the caribbean will be much warmer, but will it cool off at night? Do I need sweaters for the Dining Room and late night walks? What about early morning runs or breakfast on the balcony? Thanks for all your help!

J

Unless there is some kind of freak weather phenom., it will be shorts weather once you get off the coast of Florida. It's tropical all year! I know you'll need to have clothes to get to that point, but once you're there, it's summer clothes!

We've done 7 caribbean cruises during the late Jan. early Feb. time frame and dress for the tropics is appropriate. I bring one light weight cotton blazer to wear in the dining room if the air conditioning is too cold. Florida can sometimes be cool at that time of year - at least in the evening. I always dress in layers on my flight from Chicago to Florida, so I can take off layers when I arrive in Florida.

I got back 2 weeks ago from a Western Caribbean cruise - Ft Lauderdale, Key West, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica. I think we hit a "bad" week, but the first 3 nights were really cool both inside and out. I needed a sweater or pashmina every night for the entire cruise, and on most nights (mostly the beginning of the cruise), was more comfortable in pants than dresses as it was just so chilly. And I should add that I am usually hot, and not cold (and I'm from Canada!).

So I'd suggest making sure that all of your night-time outfits match a sweater, jacket, or shawl just incase!

As far as mornings on the balcony, you should be okay, but in Key West where the high was 61, and in Cozumel where it was chilly until around 1 or 2pm, we needed sweaters.

So take some warmer stuff that matches your outfits as a precaution! And I hope you have better weather than we did!

I live in Miami and West Palm..it was 39 degrees one morning last week and I wore a leather jacket, and yesterday it was 75 degrees and I wore short sleeves.

You dress for the weather. If it's 50 degrees, you might feel awkward wearing white when everyonne else is bundled up. The best advice I can give is light to medium weight clothes with interchangable jackets, sweaters, etc.

As a resident it's easy to tell who the visitors are..we are often bundled up freezing and it's 60 and the visitors are in the water! :) Your blood thins out when you live in a warmer climate year round. What used to feel like 60 to me when I lived up north now feels like 20 degrees here in the south.

Being from Central FL this time of year I am comfortable in jean and a t-shirt and Ft. Lau. is father south so you deftinaly will be and then the carribean will be a step up from there.

This may be insane but I check the weather channel before I go and i pack a few days before we go. that way I know what to take. But then again Mother Nature has a way of changing things so i could be complete wrong with what I pack!!

Unless it is a freak cool spell it will be summer weather. When we were in Belize, Cozumel in Jan. 2006 it was hot and muggy so for sure warm weather clothes.

If you are leaving a cool climate, we always dress in jeans with a short sleeved shirt and possibly a sweat shirt or a button up long sleeved shirt over the s/s shirt. Pack a pair of shorts in your carry on to change into.

We did a similar cruise in January, 1996. It was great--tropical weather all the way except for one night when a big storm hit. It was still warm, but a lot of people didn't get much sleep that night. Lots of rocking and rolling.

A few years before that we spent a week in Key West in January and it was quite chilly there for several days.

I always take a rain jacket and at least one lightweight jacket, but this probably comes from living in the SF Bay Area, where the weather can be sunny in one place and foggy or rainy a few miles away.

I live near Tampa, which is central Florida, and in the daytime I wear shorts. At night I wear capris or sometimes jeans and a short sleeve shirt. A few weeks ago we had a cold spell and I put on jeans and a sweater, but it is not usually that cold.

I tried searching the archives, but didn't really find what I was looking for. Can anyone who has been on a similar cruise (Fort Lauderdale, Belize, Cozumel) in late January give me an idea of the weather? I am leaving from (and obviously returning to) upstate NY, so most likely cold and snowy. I am guessing Florida will be warmer, but probably still pants and light weight long-sleeves? I am HOPING the caribbean will be much warmer, but will it cool off at night? Do I need sweaters for the Dining Room and late night walks? What about early morning runs or breakfast on the balcony? Thanks for all your help!

J

We are flying from Rochester, and planning on leaving our winter coats in the car, wearing pants and long sleeves on the flight. We will have a change of clothes in our carry on for once we arrive in Florida, to avoid unpacking suitcases. Good luck!

Just back from Western Caribbean (New Year's Cruise on the RSS Navigator). Anyway Grand Cayman and Cozumel and sea days on either side were great; but we ran into an Alberta Clipper in Belize, Hondouras and Guatamala and it was cool (in the 60's) and very breezy. Take along something warm just in case!

J

I went on carnival conquest in the beginning of feb 06 I am from Alaska and flew to dallas. I took my heavy coat cause it was freezing here. I got to dallas and stripped the jacket off. I wore shorts and tank tops. If you are coming from the cold than 70 degree and 80 degree is like a sauna. It was in the 80's in cozumel. Actually 70's and 80's in our 3 ports of call. I would take a light weight jacket for on the boat if you get chilled from the wind but other wise it will be gorgous! Pack for summer.

Archived