Advice needed

I am in the planning stage of what (to many) would be a 'last minute' cruise for this September. Its a bit of a pre-amble but here goes.

I'm travelling with my Mother. She is a Cunard veteran really and travelled a number of times with them over the years, along with my late Father.

Mum first crossed the Atlantic in early 1940 (delayed departure due to the outbreak of hostilities) when, at the age of just 14, she went to stay with relations in Montreal - to get out of harms way. Her trip took her from Liverpool aboard Canadian Pacific's 'Duchess of Bedford' to St John New Brunswick, and then onwards the last 500 miles or so by train. Can you imagine a girl of 14 being sent alone nowadays? She got a job over there and stayed for 9 years.

Mum and I sailed together to Canada for a long summer holiday (Canadian Pacific) in 1961 when I was 6 - with Dad joining us by air for a fortnight as he couldn't get more time off work.

In later years Mum and Dad took a number of Cunard cruises and they also went on a holiday to Montreal. I joined them on a QE2 Transatlantic celebrating my 21st Birthday and their 21st wedding Anniversary.

In 2005, when Mum was 80, she said she would like to go on 'one last cruise' and asked if I would accompany her. We did a Med trip. In 2010, at 85, Mum said she thought she could manage 'one last cruise', and we did an ex-Dover trip to the Baltic with Holland America -as Mr Cruise Critic seems to have cleverly remembered in the box below!

You are ahead of me I expect - because now, at 90, and still able to get about quite well for her age (going out shopping on the normal bus for example), Mum has announced that she thinks its time for 'one last cruise'! :-)

So, with Mum celebrating her 90th and my own 60th Birthday this year - it seemed a good idea.

Looking at itineraries that fit our dates, and with my Mother keen not to be away for too long, I was attracted by the Regent sailing from New York to Montreal on 26th September - with open jaw flights from London. St John is a POC en-route on the cruise itinerary, which also has other calls at places Mum has not previously visited.

Bearing in mind Mums age, the convenience of the all-inclusive flights, transfers, hotels (if required), cruise, excursions, drinks and restaurants, room service and gratuities package offered by Regent seems very attractive.

Nothing is booked as yet - and indeed the first move would be to finalise travel insurance - which is going to be a hefty sum on its own.

So hints, tips and dos and don'ts are needed for some 'unseasoned up-scalers' who might be making a first trip on Regent.

Over to you experts ... ;-)

Edited by redrover

Well, I doubt your mom will be the oldest aboard. This itinerary in particular of our many Regent cruises seemed to attract an older crowd.

The ship is smaller than those you have sailed on, but I think that is a plus given your mom's age. Less area to have to cover, and the crew will get to know you better and more quickly.

I say go for it.

Redrover,

I agree with RachelG's advice--go for it and have a wonderful time. We did this cruise with Regent a couple of years ago. Loved every second of it! The itinerary was interesting as well as our fellow passengers. We had a lot of fun and still talk about it. Enjoy!

Since you haven't booked yet, I strongly suggest that you book through a TA (travel agent) that regularly books cruises - particularly Regent. The agent should not only be able to answer questions for you, they should offer a rebate (5+%) of your cruise fare.

Since Regent is the most inclusive of the luxury cruise lines, it is a wise choice. The ships are small/medium and are easy to get around. Should your Mum need assistance when they hold muster (the time when you cannot use an elevator), there will be someone to assist her. As others have mentioned, she will likely not be the oldest passenger on board.

This should be a great cruise - celebrating two very significant birthdays!

Agree with Rachel and TC2 and Sheltiluv, perfect cruise for your situation. We have done that, its great scenery, the ship is a manageable size, the crew will pamper Mom, and if there are days she doesn't feel like doing much, she can relax in the suite or just stay onboard. Its hard to say whether or not a balcony is worth it, but I would go fo that too, as its a lovely place to just sit and enjoy if its not too cold, most of the suites have balconies, only a few without.

Be sure to let the ship know its your Mother's birthday, they will do a little celebration at dinner.

Your Mom sounds quite independent, and able to get around on her own, which is a plus. Hope we can still cruise when we get into our 90's!:D

TC2 does offer a good suggestion in that its probably a good idea to work with a TA that specializes in Regent, they can help you choose a cabin near the elevator, set up a birthday celebration, help with your flight arrangements so that they aren't too difficult for your Mom, and advise you about insurance and help you choose the one best for your situation, little things like that which help take the burden off of you.

Hope you decide to book and have a wonderful cruise. Keep us posted on how it goes. What a wonderful 90th birthday she will have.

PS - actually I should have said let the ship know its both of your birthdays, they will love that. You could even think about ordering a special dinner, they can usuallly accommodate that with 24 hours notice, so a little planning ahead and you could have some favortie foods.

First off, what a blessing that your mom is 90 and still able and willing to go cruising! My dad is in his 90's, my mom in her 80's and they cruised until recently.

I think Regent will be perfect . The Navigator is a pretty little ship , with lovely and spacious cabins. I'm sure you'll be very comfortable in them. If you can splurge for a balcony, September should still be plenty warm to make use of it.

Not sure if the TA's in England offer the rebates TC is referring to but if there are by all means use that.

Wish you and your mom a great cruise, let us know how it goes!

All I can say is how wonderful to have a healthy mum at 90 and what joy it will be for the both of you to cruise together on a special cruise.

I am having a hard time just trying to make it to 60. Does she have any secrets to share?

I am currently on the Voyager with my 88 year old Mum and would be more than happy to answer and and all questions you may have. For us Regent is the perfect choice for holiday - as my Mum says, the hotel comes with us and if one does not feel up to going on an excursion, there is no problem.

The itinerary you have selected is perfect - the weather at the time of year is (usually) delightful and many of the excursions that are available are not difficult.

Please feel free to contact me - BTW, I live in NYC and can assist you with any questions you may have about that.

The last cruise that my Mom and Dad did together was NYC - Montreal and although my Dad was no longer in the best of health, they had an amazing time and enjoyed it to the fullest.

My one suggestion to you - your Mum needs ti fly business class over the pond - is Regent offering any special promotions for your cruise?

gnomie :)