Best cruise line for cocktails?

My wife and I love unusual cocktails. We especially enjoy the bar person to be able to make something off the cuff. Unfortunately the bean counters are now stipulating that only off menu cocktails are allowed. This was even the case when we traveled queens grill with Cunard. Are the bar staff on Regent allowed to invent and serve unusual cocktails?

You won't find any bean counters affecting drinks on Regent - you can order whatever you want and some bartenders can make drinks "on the fly". Just a couple of months ago Regent came out with a new list of drinks which gave us ideas for new combinations to try. Drinks can be made with regular or premium alcohols (pretty good choices) and you can certainly have it as strong or as weak as you like and made anyway you prefer (at no additional charge). My favorite new drink on Regent was the Mexican Butterfly. It has tequila (I always ask for Don Julio or Patron), muddled lime, sweet and sour and something else that I can't remember.

I do let the bartenders know if I want something more on the tart or sweet side and if I want them over ice or served martini style.

Hope this helps:)

Have to agree with Jackie as the Regent barkeepers do a first rate job and the last two we encountered (Esther and Jan, who I understand is no longer with Regent...sob!) were full of creativity. We also had some wonderful treats from Alexandra who held court in the Commodore on the QM2. The Queen's Grill bar was boring and stuffy. Crystal still has the number one spot on my list, however. SO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM!! The Avenue Saloon is Mecca for a special drink. Servers are extremely well educated and can suggest all kinds of wonderful concoctions if you're not sure what you feel like........mmmmmm, feeling the need for a cocktail.......!!!

Well, looks like I'll need to play around with new cocktails on our cruise later this month...I historically just drank single malt scotch, neat. My wife still laughs about the time I was ordering a Laphroaig and the bartender asked when to stop pouring...I told him, "When your fingers start getting wet."

Ya gotta love the included alcohol...

I think one of the best parts of the included alcohol policy is that you can be a little adventurous and try things you might not ordinarily order. If you don't care for it, you can order something else!

My only complaint with drinks on Refent is their sweet and sour mix. It tastes industrial rather than fresh. I always specify - for instance a Cosmo with Grey Goose, Cointreau, cranberry juice and fresh lime. Perfect each time.

My only complaint with drinks on Refent is their sweet and sour mix. It tastes industrial rather than fresh. I always specify - for instance a Cosmo with Grey Goose, Cointreau, cranberry juice and fresh lime. Perfect each time.

Thanks so much for that hint. My DH has such a difficult time getting a decent Cosmo. He asks for Grey Goose but didn't know about the Cointreau and fresh lime. Sounds yummy!

My wife and I love unusual cocktails. We especially enjoy the bar person to be able to make something off the cuff. Unfortunately the bean counters are now stipulating that only off menu cocktails are allowed. This was even the case when we traveled queens grill with Cunard. Are the bar staff on Regent allowed to invent and serve unusual cocktails?

If you want unusual cocktails, I suggest you give Celebrity Solstice class a try. The Molecular Bar is about unique off the wall drinks. Some are bubbling, other are smoking, funky neon color, or that sort of think, and they are tasty too. But off course, it's not all inclusive, and even if you buy the "drink package" those are not included. Also, the Martini Bar (my fav) has a great selection of martinis.

Jorge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best cruise lines would probably be Celebrity or Carnival as they are setup specifically to make the molecular drinks. You need a lot of purpose bought (or hand made) ingredients to do a lot of modern mixology drinks.

While Regent and other all inclusive lines will offer you a better starting drink (and call) they wont have access to the necessary ingredients.

If you just want an off the cuff cocktail that you haven't had before, any luxury line will do as it comes down to the bartender - and there theres probably more difference within a ship than between lines.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with all about Cosmos on Regent. I asked and bartender says they use simple syrup in it. YUK! I plan to take bottles of Cranberry Cocktail on Mariner for our 72 day South America cruise so they can make a "proper" Cosmo. I also like lime juice in mine. I promise this is ONLY thing I can find to bitch about on Regent so had to dig deep.