Greetings from the Voyager - July 6th - 26th

gnomie1

DeepFreeze63: Thanks so much for taking the time from your vacation to post during your cruise. It appears that the weather was considerably cooler than when we were there last year (not a bad thing IMO) and the passenger mix was also a bit different. I'm a bit surprised to hear that there were so many mobility challenged cruisers as, IMO, this is one of the more active itineraries.

vitacura: Also appreciating your live posts. Just thinking about the Indian lunch make my mouth water -- it is my favorite buffet lunch. Looking forward to more reports.

crusin7: It is so great to hear that the Voyager still has wonderful food and service. Most of the negative reports have been from passengers on the Voyager.

We have been fortunate to have three CC members posting from the ship - an unusual treat:)

vitacura: Also appreciating your live posts. Just thinking about the Indian lunch make my mouth water -- it is my favorite buffet lunch. Looking forward to more reports.

Very glad you enjoyed the posts. I would have continued, but after my last post in this thread, the comments were completely negative so I felt no desire to continue. Sad as there were more negative comments on this thread about the missed Fjord than from the actual passengers on the cruise!

It was a fantastic and memorable cruise. Geirangerfjorden was absolutely magnificent! Very happy that I was able to be part of the adventure, crossing the 80th parallel north!

Very glad you enjoyed the posts. I would have continued, but after my last post in this thread, the comments were completely negative so I felt no desire to continue. Sad as there were more negative comments on this thread about the missed Fjord than from the actual passengers on the cruise!

Sorry that I contributed to the negative posts. I am a very big fan of Captain Mario and would have really enjoyed being on this cruise.

Marc

Sorry that I contributed to the negative posts. I am a very big fan of Captain Mario and would have really enjoyed being on this cruise.

Marc

Your post was fine, Marc, and a rational response to the conversation. Cruising isn't all hunky-dory all the time so it's useful information to discuss all aspects of a cruise.

Edited by OctoberKat

Marc

Hi Marc -- there were a few posts about the same subject that seemed to take this thread in a negative direction. As we know, communication between corporate and the ships has always been a weak point with Regent. Anyway, I'll be following "sea mail" for this cruise now that "TROLL" is onboard. There seems to be something about going to that part of the world that causes luggage to get lost! Hope the luggage makes it to the Voyager today!

Sorry to see some of the great posters on the last cruise leaving the ship.

Jackie

Hi Marc -- there were a few posts about the same subject that seemed to take this thread in a negative direction. As we know, communication between corporate and the ships has always been a weak point with Regent. Anyway, I'll be following "sea mail" for this cruise now that "TROLL" is onboard. There seems to be something about going to that part of the world that causes luggage to get lost! Hope the luggage makes it to the Voyager today!

Sorry to see some of the great posters on the last cruise leaving the ship.

Jackie

Troll? Perhaps you would elucidate.

Marc

I know you didn't mean to take the thread in the direction it went. And I agree, wish we would have known earlier about the restrictions, but we didn't hear any complaints once we found out what we were going to do instead! We actually met many years ago, hope to see you again sometime, Marc.

Your post was fine, Marc, and a rational response to the conversation. Cruising isn't all hunky-dory all the time so it's useful information to discuss all aspects of a cruise.

Of course his post was fine, otherwise it would have been removed by mods. It was the negative context and direction that the thread was taking, that made the live reports stop. Why continue to indulge a thread that produces no positive reaction? Everyone on board was having a grand time, why take the time to update a thread that is generating a negative reaction from those not experiencing the cruise?

Edited by vitacura

Some things I forgot to mention but now "jet-lag" is fading. Captain Mario and Staff captain Rosario are Gems! The Captain's wife was aboard and a delight as she interacted with the passengers at the puzzle table and the "County fair". The entire staff was terrific to a "man". The issues that I had were all (as usual) shore based.

the 4th was celebrated in grand style and Ass't. CD Chris lead a rousing rendition of "God bless America". Canada Day was also celebrated but there weren't many Canadians on board!?

So good to hear that there was a County Fair -- the crew do such a great job with costumes, games and booths and the passengers enjoy it so much! We were on the Voyager on the 4th last year and really enjoyed the celebration (we'll be on the Mariner this year for Thanksgiving).

Thank you again for taking us with you on this lovely cruise.

P.S. To answer another poster question:

Troll_zpsgcgxianh.jpg

We actually met many years ago, hope to see you again sometime, Marc.

A doctor (or nurse?) who was in their 20s or 30s when we met whilst we lived in Florida. :confused:

:D

Edited by Marq

TROLL was the name selected for the cruise by the informal group sailing. It stands for: "To Russia On Luxury Liner." :)

I loved the stories of trolls when we were in Norway last year. They seemed to be all over the place. We did buy a very small one as a souvenir. It was the perfect nickname for the Voyager cruise (IMHO)

So good to hear that there was a County Fair -- the crew do such a great job with costumes, games and booths and the passengers enjoy it so much! We were on the Voyager on the 4th last year and really enjoyed the celebration (we'll be on the Mariner this year for Thanksgiving).

Thank you again for taking us with you on this lovely cruise.

P.S. To answer another poster question:

Troll_zpsgcgxianh.jpg

Interesting to hear about special activities for the 4th of July. We will be on Mariner next year in Alaska over the 4th. Any addition info on 4th of July celebrations on board would be appreciated. I wondered if there would be any chance to see fireworks on shore from the ship. The ship will be at Sitka.

Interesting to hear about special activities for the 4th of July. We will be on Mariner next year in Alaska over the 4th. Any addition info on 4th of July celebrations on board would be appreciated. I wondered if there would be any chance to see fireworks on shore from the ship. The ship will be at Sitka.

In terms of fireworks, the biggest issue is that it doesn't get dark that far north until very late. So, unless you were docked in Sitka overnight, you probably could not see fireworks. We were in port (in Norway where it doesn't get dark at all) so not much was happening onboard the ship. There were decorative cakes, etc. It really depends upon who the Cruise Director on board is in terms of how much celebrating will be done. It sounds like the passengers on the Voyager had a great time.

We'll also be on the Mariner in Alaska next year but it will be a couple of month earlier:)

TC@ is right about the lack of darkness. Obviously, no fireworks aboard and we were on a "sea day" in the Baltic!

DW brought decorations for cabin door and had a fun time offering red/white/ blue candies (from r/w/b foldable basket) to passengers and crew at special 4th of July lunch. Pool deck was decorated and there was a huge "flag" cake. Ass't. CD Chris was American with a great voice; his stirring rendition of "God Bless America" was backed by beautiful video.

I would think that being in Alaska on the 4th, you'll have quite a celebration on board as well as ashore.