Segments on 2017 WC ??

petlover

• 4 weeks later...

There are some very disappointed West Coast cruisers (including myself) because Regent is saying that if you board in Los Angeles (112 days) to Miami it doesn't count as a World Cruise and you technically have a cancellation penalty on existing booking, you lose OBB, luggage transfer and included medical care.

In the past the world cruise was from either FLL or LAX. The FLL to LAX was considered an “add on” for those on the east coast who didn't want to fly to LA or just wanted to be on the ship over Xmas/NY's.

I just wish they would have offered boarding in LA in the FIRST place as that is what we would have chosen. One option is to ship luggage and let the cabin sit empty with your luggage and board in LA ...but NO price adjustment.

Wendy, since the Regent website indicates included First Class Air for WC'ers, and the cruise begins and ends in Miami, I'm assuming that it includes domestic.

While it is good to see segments of the WC, I cannot help but recall the rather negative posts made by "segmenters" during previous world cruises. It seemed that the full WC'ers became a clique that made it uncomfortable for the segmenters. IMO, since the Explorer will be doing its thing in 2017 and the Voyager and Mariner cover most of the other ports, the segments may not sell as well as expected - particularly since it is on the Navigator.

Just sayin'...in the past we've had WC's beginning in ports in California and ending in Ft. Lauderdale so it appealed to both "coasts" with just a one way coast to coast flight. It's a shame that they didn't do as they've done in the past IMO. There are quite a few elderly WCers who really don't like to fly so it appealed to them to be able to board in FL and end in FL by doing the "add on". Personally, the 112 days away is more appealing than the 128 days away. I think Regent was hoping/maybe expecting the ship to be 100% WCers but since that didn't fly they decided to add the segments. Yes, they do offer 1st class airline seats or you can take the credit and make your own travel arrangements.

Again, just my opinion but we have loved having segments with new people coming on and found it enlightening. We ourselves have done segments as well as full WC's and made lots of new friends on both.

Edited by petlover

I'm booked on the WC and also would have loved to leave from L.A.

But the medical care is very important for me and makes leaving from home a deal breaker.

Perhaps if the segments don't sell well, it could become an option.

Ann