"Live" from the Navigator - 7/22 - 7/29

In terms of the butler, if he is not doing his job (explaining his services at the beginning of the cruise is a part of his job), ask for another butler. Although we have only done this twice is 20 cruises, there is no reason to have to put up with a butler that is not up to par.

Disappointed to read that servers were not very willing to offer other than the 'chosen' wine of the day. We are going on Mariner soon - not having cruised Regent for a few years - and are used to Seabourn's staff always being willing to bring you whichever included wines you like, and they are always pretty much within reach.

Is this really the case on Regent, please?

Disappointed to read that servers were not very willing to offer other than the 'chosen' wine of the day. We are going on Mariner soon - not having cruised Regent for a few years - and are used to Seabourn's staff always being willing to bring you whichever included wines you like, and they are always pretty much within reach.

Is this really the case on Regent, please?

Currently on the Voyager and can say that our experience this cruise is that all you have to do is ask, and other choices will be offered and served.

Agree that when you ask the Sommelier for a wine other than the special of the day, it isn't a problem. We just tell them the type of wine we prefer. Getting a copy of the included wines is not always easy as they do not keep a "menu" of the wines on hand. When I asked the F&B Director for a copy so I could post it on CC, we received it the next day.

Thank you both for that information - we do not expect to be served a particular named wine we like, but are quite happy to ask for, say, a New Zealand sauvignon blanc, etc., which I feel sure would be amongst the included wines.

Denali trip was great. We started in Fairbanks and took the train to Denali. There is an option for an extended trip into Denali in the afternoon. We took it and were so glad we did. Saw many animals and great scenery. We fly-fished the next morning and had a wonderful time on a beautiful stream.

Wine service takes a little patience and work. The only sauvignon blanc on our cruise is from California. Rodney Strong. In general, the "included" wines retail for $10-13 US.

We did the Tracy Arm excursion and it was superb. Beautiful morning and it was a great trip. We arrived back in port in time to call our private excursion with RumRunners. We had a wonderful 4 hour whale watching trip. Saw a pod of 5 Orcas (killer whales), a few humpbacks and one young humpback just playing on the surface.

Our butler has really turned it around. He has been exceptionally helpful, including bringing drinks and nuts to us in the hot tub after the pool bar had been closed.

Dinners have been good to very good in Compass Rose. Our dinner in Prime 7 was excellent. Drink service at the pool has been very good also.

I enjoyed both shows so far - including the Aquarius show. Tonight is the Cirque show. I will probably go also.

There is somewhat of an insistence on staff to follow-up on comments - no matter the time or place. My wife was interrupted during her walk back to our dinner table to discuss her mid-cruise comments. Not really an appropriate time to discuss it.

We did the White Pass and Yukon Railroad trip this morning. A fun ride up and down, easy three hours with some very nice scenery.

Mark

In general, we are feeling very positive about the cruise.

Jaime is the cruise director. He is doing a fine job.

We had an issue with a server one night who insisted that a list of the included wines was not available and that I should just tell him what grape I liked.

The sommelier heard the discussion and brought the list over.

Being patient and confident is very helpful when it comes to wine on this cruise.

Mark

Navigator lounge great for coffee

Hot tub on deck is great in any kind of weather

Order appetizer portions of everything in order to try things

Use back deck outside Galileo's to relax (there are blankets)

Utilize maitre'd frequently

thank everyone that does a good job

if you think there might be a communication gap - confirm what you are trying to communicate

don't expect fast service, but expect complete service

the ship has never felt crowded anywhere

get to know the ship early - so you can easily find what you are looking for when you want it

if you have specific preferences - mention them

piano guy in Stars lounge is great

take deep breaths often and relax - it's a great great cruise.

Mark

Off the ship yesterday - back at midnight last night in St. Louis - at work today!

Some random thoughts:

1. Brown water - saw it a little bit, not an issue

2. Disembark process - very smooth. Thanks for Galileo recommendation. We were among just a few up there and when we were called, we walked through crowded halls down on deck 6. Given a 2 hour free tour on the way to the airport.

3. Weather was about what I expected - which means we had sun for 20% of our time there. Best combination of sun/scenery was late afternoon on the last day towards vancouver. Unfortunately - that was also the Krew Kapers show date - so we missed out on enjoying the scenery as much.

4. Enjoyed all the shows.

5. Plenty of alcohol, but if you're a wine snob like I am, it's pretty weak. Found Dom Perignon in a Sitka liquor store for $99. Brought it back on board with me to drink - no problems bringing it to prime 7.

6. Heard story of trouble with an overflowing toilet. Not sewage, but regular water.

7. Hot tubs are great even in the rain.

8. Pool service / food was excellent. I wasn't that impressed with the ice cream there.

9. Regent distinguishes between internet/phone and other amenities when upgrading. We upgraded one of our rooms to a Penthouse B, which supposedly gets 200 free internet minutes. But no - not for an upgrade. Our TA may have been told that, but still - that seems very petty.

10. Hardly used the bottles of liquor in our room. Bar service is so easy and with so many options, it ended up being a bit of a waste.

11. Loved the appearance of the ship, the overall service.

12. "Personalized" service wasn't really there. I don't fault them, but it seems something they are trying to focus on. I will get into more detail later.

13. Overall service was excellent.

14. Really wish there was a lounge with views that didn't vibrate.

15. View from the back deck of Galileo's was great. Nice touch with the blankets to keep warm.

16. Mixing tea time with trivia time seemed a good way to discourage tea timers. We weren't around much for beginning of tea time and by the time we got there, trivia was in full swing and a much different atmosphere.

17. Caviar / champagne night was a great idea. Wish I hadn't stuffed myself at the crab feast in Ketchikan that afternoon.

Happy to provide other quick takes as needed. Will try to find a way to post pictures and provide more detailed write-up.

Mark

17. Caviar / champagne night was a great idea. Wish I hadn't stuffed myself at the crab feast in Ketchikan that afternoon.

Happy to provide other quick takes as needed. Will try to find a way to post pictures and provide more detailed write-up.

Mark

Caviar is limited to a single night?

Mark,

Thanks for your random thoughts. The Navigator is my favorite current RSSC ship. I love that she is small which makes it so easy to get around. Glad you enjoyed your cruise. Will you consider another cruise on Regent?

I won't consider another one on Navigator until the vibration issue is gone.

I've heard good things about the other ships and if it's a good itinerary, I will consider it.

Lots of really good things about Regent.

Caviar is limited to a single night?

I think you can probably order it whenever you like. They have a caviar menu. I wish I had taken a picture of the menu.

It was just a special event specifically that night. Paddlefish caviar was served at Sunday breakfast.

Mark

I think you can probably order it whenever you like. They have a caviar menu. I wish I had taken a picture of the menu.

It was just a special event specifically that night. Paddlefish caviar was served at Sunday breakfast.

Mark

Yes, there is a caviar menu you can order from but, it is not included so you have to pay except for Sunday mornings and usually the past passengers party and might be at special events. Otherwise it does cost!!

Mark

On longer cruises they offer the caviar menu (good way to spend OBC's) more than once. Of course, it is offered at the Seven Seas Society cocktail party. While the caviar offered on Sundays is not the same quality, it goes so well with champagne. We look forward to our caviar and champagne breakfasts - offered both in CR and LV. I'm not certain what "special events" the previous poster was referring to as we have not experienced this.

Edited by Travelcat2

I won't consider another one on Navigator until the vibration issue is gone. I've heard good things about the other ships and if it's a good itinerary, I will consider it. Lots of really good things about Regent.

Unfortunately Regent has tried and tried to remedy the vibration problem on Navigator. I don't think a miracle could cure it.

Yes, Mariner and Voyager are both fine ships. Hopefully you will find the right itinerary for you. Who knows what Explorer will bring as well.

Agree with NCCruzQuee about the vibration on the Navigator -- multi-millions of dollars has been spent to fix the vibration. The key is to have a suite mid-ship -- then you do not feel the vibration. Also, depending upon the speed of the ship and the waters they are sailing in, you may not feel the vibration at all.

The Voyager also has an aft vibration that is not fixable (but is not as bad as the Voyager). When a ship is built, it is not until you take it to sea that you know if there is a vibration. I really thought that the Mariner had no vibration whatsoever........ until I was in an aft Seven Seas Suite. It isn't so much a vibration as it is the noise from the vibration/engine (particularly noticeable on deck 7). It drove my husband crazy. If I thought about all the noises the ships make at sea, I would probably never sail. The ships are on a sea with waves several feet high..... of course there will be noise. Perhaps it isn't noticed as much on large ships as it is on smaller ones.

Thank you both for that information - we do not expect to be served a particular named wine we like, but are quite happy to ask for, say, a New Zealand sauvignon blanc, etc., which I feel sure would be amongst the included wines.

If our recent experiences are anything to go by you will be disappointed.

Regent no longer carry NZ Sauvignon Blanc on their included list. :(

Sancerre :), Chilean SB and a US SB :eek: are usually available.

NZ Sauvignon Blanc is available for a premium payment. :rolleyes: