New Regent promotion...

"Celebrate the 4th of July in style with complimentary suite category upgrades. Click here for a list of eligible voyages featuring suite upgrades of up to four categories for the ultimate indulgence."

Of course, our under-subscribed Istanbul-Dubai cruise in October 2015 is included, but the offer is limited to new bookings only. In reality, we get most of the benefits of the higher (concierge and PH-C) suites except the pre-cruise night or a slightly larger balcony for the PH-C because of our Gold status, but still...

Yes, I understand this has become the industry norms (offering deals to new bookings while ignoring those early booking, loyal customers), but this really annoys me. Not a good face on valuing customer loyalty.

If I were running marketing for Regent, and given the relatively trivial IT effort this would entail, I wouldn't send new offers to already booked passengers for specific cruises. Even a multi-cruise email offer like this could be "built" from all included cruises <> currently booked cruises. At least then we wouldn't see them ignoring early bookers.

Agreed - sometimes, ignorance truly is bliss. I mean, we originally liked the itinerary and pricing enough to book so we can't whine that much, but I do sometimes hate seeing the latecomers get bennies we didn't...

But at the end of the day, I'll be aboard in less than a month, so no complaining from me. :D

It is interesting that the Explorer maiden voyage increased fares - especially since there are over 200 people on the waiting list. IMO, the prices were crazy when they first came out - especially to do a cruise out of Rome in August - the hottest month of the year in Italy.

We learned a while ago that many promotions are not what they seem. We used to contact our TA frequently because we saw a promotion that looked better than what we paid. It always ended up having something "different" or "missing" on the promotion cruise that was that included on the cruise we booked in advance.

The cruise we are looking at already has included Business Class air for all categories in an attempt to get bookings. Crossing our fingers that the latest offer is not too good to be true. Our "Regent addiction" hit us this past week and we'd really like to get away between now and our November cruise.

We are in the process of changing a booking and saw the "sale". It has certain restrictions so it is not quite as grand as the 4 category upgrade would appear but it does allow a small discount on the cruise we are switching to. We were booked on a December cruise but decided the flight time involved was a bit ambitious for us. It had a total of 27 hours of flight time.

To those already booked I understand how you feel seeing the announced sale. I am concerned the cruise we are looking at will drop further as it is so lightly booked. But it is either take the leap or maybe miss the boat.

Of course Regent significantly increased the fares of those cruises which are already completely booked - they already have a full ship. The increases are usually on cruises which are already quite popular and selling well, not on the majority of the cruises which still have significant availability.

Usually by this time, we have booked our summer and winter trip for the following year - not this time. The two cruises which we booked for this year both had significant price reductions and other promotions which we were not entitled to because we had booked "early". Of the cruises we are interested in for 2016, there appears to be significant availability so we have decided to just wait and see. With regard to suite selection, we really are not that picky. Some of the reductions have been quite substantial and I have no reason to believe the same will not hold true next year. For the last three years, almost all of the cruises we have been on had better pricing and promotions the longer one waited to book. I remember ten years ago when many of the Regent cruises were completely or almost sold out more than a year out - now you may see a few cruises that sell out early, but for the most part, that no longer seems to be the case. I introduced a friend to Regent for a cruise within the next few months, and the TA is calling almost everyday with another special promotion.

While there appear to be cruisers on this board who seem to be able to take unlimited cruises and cost does not seem to matter, there are those of us who are not in that category and would rather wait for a "sale" and use the money saved for another adventure.

gnomie :)

Ooh, where are you off to, Travelcat? Was it the heat that sealed the deal? :)

Could be the heat:D Sorry that I'm complaining about it so much! We will be on the September 16th Istanbul to Istanbul cruise - 12 nights. We had to pay in full today and will book flights tomorrow (deviating with Regent). Excursions were booked months ago and dining reservations are already made by current passengers so we need some time to catch up.

I tend to tell people that Regent is addictive (to many people - not all). We thought we would be okay not cruising from April to November of this year. Then, last week, the craving began. If one has to be addicted to something, this isn't a bad thing.

I am most likely 100% off topic so I better stop babbling.

I get countless emails telling me to rush and book before the prices increase, then only to get countless emails with special promotions and discounts. Other cruise lines do not operate their marketing in this way. It is off putting to say the least. As Regent continues to escalate pricing (and its various pricing games) it's only going to drive people away. Time will tell.

In the past many "promotions" were not what they seemed to be as TC pointed out. It seems to me that Regents marketing has changed. They are making price increases then offering some incentive if the cruise is not selling well. Our October 15 booking included in this promotion has had two price increases prior to this promotion. It is not selling well. Last year nearly the same cruise did not have one price increase and did not sell out until nearly the sail date. We have noticed our TA, but do not expect anything, and will still enjoy the cruise.

After our 2016 Explorer cruise we will look elsewhere to spend our vacation $$. We have only sailed Radison/Regent since our first disaster cruise on a mass market line.

We booked early for a September cruise that is not selling well. I notified our TA each time Regent sweetened the deal. So far we have benefitted from a price drop, on board credit and a 4 category upgrade. Call your TA. Ours has been great.

We booked early for a September cruise that is not selling well. I notified our TA each time Regent sweetened the deal. So far we have benefitted from a price drop, on board credit and a 4 category upgrade. Call your TA. Ours has been great.

Did you obtain those reductions/ benefits before or after making final payment ?

Could be the heat:D Sorry that I'm complaining about it so much! We will be on the September 16th Istanbul to Istanbul cruise - 12 nights. We had to pay in full today and will book flights tomorrow (deviating with Regent). Excursions were booked months ago and dining reservations are already made by current passengers so we need some time to catch up.

I tend to tell people that Regent is addictive (to many people - not all). We thought we would be okay not cruising from April to November of this year. Then, last week, the craving began. If one has to be addicted to something, this isn't a bad thing.

I am most likely 100% off topic so I better stop babbling.

So excited! we finally get to meet in person. We have had our excursions booked for months of course, as well as dining reservations made. But no worries. It will all work out.

:)

Jackie-

Doesn't make this just like Regent? Chatcat predicted this a long time ago....

Tina - I just addressed this on the Oceania board. IMO, as long as FDR is CEO, they will not merge. Firstly, the smaller Oceania ships would never qualify as "luxury" ships. Not with miniscule bathrooms, etc. Seabourn had small ships with small staterooms. They ultimately sold them. Oceania is not only not selling their "R" class ships, they have purchased another one.

Also, and I'm not certain about my thinking on this....... Apollo purchased two cruise lines - one premium and one luxury. The purchase gave them a introductory cruise line (NCL), a mid-class cruise line (Oceania) and a luxury cruise line. Eliminating the mid-level cruise line, IMO, leaves a hole that could be filled by their competition (like Azamara and Viking Ocean). It is quite a jump to go from NCL to a luxury cruise line but not such a jump to go to Oceania in a small or inside cabin. Anyway, these are the reasons (in addition to FDR saying that it will not happen repeatedly) that I do not believe it will happen. Kathy predicted it 7 years ago. I suppose that it could happen within our lifetime but would not bet on it.

:)

Seabourn had small ships with small staterooms. They ultimately sold them.

The suites on Seabourn's small (208 passengers, 10,0000 ton) ships were 277 sq. ft. or more.

Yes, they ships were sold, after 25+ years of service.

What has this to do with Regent/Oceania?

Edited by Winner

The suites on Seabourn's small (208 passengers, 10,0000 ton) ships were 277 sq. ft. or more.

Yes, they were sold, after 25+ years of service. What has this to do with Regent/Oceania?

Perhaps you need to be a Regent or Oceania customer to understand. Not trying to be unkind but I think I explained it the best way that I can. Oceania's small ships are simply not "luxury" material. Age, IMO, has nothing to do with it.

Edited by Travelcat2

Perhaps you need to be a Regent or Oceania customer to understand. Not trying to be unkind but I think I explained it the best way that I can. Oceania's small ships are simply not "luxury" material. Age, IMO, has nothing to do with it.

I recently cruised on O Regatta to Alaska in a Vista Suite. Seriously, I cannot imagine how much more "luxury" you can get. Also, I like "luxury" and live quite luxuriously. Your comment really confuses me because O suits us just fine.