More information about entertainment, please!

mcshane

Hi there,

We would like more details about the entertainment offered on Regent's ships. Our cruise is on the Explorer but I imagine it will be similar to current arrangements.

More specifically:

1) What time do the evening shows start? If we don't want to miss one, at what time should we dine?

2) What types of shows might take place on a 16-night cruise? Will they be repeated? What standard of professionalism is involved?

3) What kind of music is played in the various lounges? Musicians? DJs? May I assume there will be a piano player at some point in the day/evening?

Thanks in advance for any experience/advice offered. :)

Hi - like yourself, we are booked on an Explorer cruise which is quite far in the future. As you may or may now know, Regent is in the process of ending the contracts with Jean Ann Ryan singers and dancers and going with NCL entertainers (a big plus from what I understand -- we just need to wait until the contracts are up -- no doubt this will happen by the time we are on the Explorer).

Luxury cruise lines have smaller stages than mainstream cruise lines (exception is Crystal). Therefore, many of the shows have to be cut back to accommodate the venue. In terms of entertainment in the lounges, there is entertainment (piano or guitar) played during tea time (4:00 p.m. as I recall) and also in the lounges at 6:00 p.m. While there is late night entertainment, Regent passengers on port intensive cruises tend to not stay up that late (at least we don't:-)

So, to answer your question, there will likely be a change between now and when you cruise. The shows start at either 9:30 p.m. or 9:45 p.m. The professionalism has been somewhat lacking (typical of luxury cruising) but may be considerably more professional by the time that you cruise.

Dining is a whole other issue. We dine at 6:30 p.m. for a variety of reasons. We do enjoy sipping wine before dinner and port/coffee after dinner. It takes approximately 2 - 2 1/2 hours to slowly enjoy our meal. Passengers that are in a rush are done in 1 hour. If you choose to dine between 7:15 p.m. and approx. 8:00 p.m., it could take longer as this is the busiest time. A tip: On the nights of the Captain's Reception, Seven Seas Society cocktail party and Captain's Farewell (which includes the not to be missed Crew Capers show), 300-450 passengers show up at Compass Rose at the same time which makes it almost impossible to get fast service. If you want fast service, you really need to dine at 6:30 p.m.

Hope this helps:)

P.S. omg - just realized who I was responding to. We will give you all of the ins and outs of cruising on Regent when we meet you at the Meet and Greet (and can also help you on Roll Call). You will do fine:-)

Edited by Travelcat2

Yes, entertainment all around is better on Crystal. Regent and Oceania in my opinion are for foodies, not entertainment. Crystal has wonderful entertainment, but I take exception to people who know just the size of the stage and have never cruised on a particular line.

P.S. omg - just realized who I was responding to. We will give you all of the ins and outs of cruising on Regent when we meet you at the Meet and Greet (and can also help you on Roll Call). You will do fine:-)

I laughed so much when I got to the end of your post!! :D:D Thanks - that's really helpful. Interesting to hear about the future changes. We love shows but are equally happy with some music in a bar, depending on the evening. I suppose I'm afraid we'll have that feeling of "We're missing something fantastic!" if there are shows on and we're at dinner. :p

Yes, entertainment all around is better on Crystal. Regent and Oceania in my opinion are for foodies, not entertainment. Crystal has wonderful entertainment, but I take exception to people who know just the size of the stage and have never cruised on a particular line.

Wow. It only took three postings before someone went into attack mode. We all use information that we have learned second hand and we all know how info is readily available through research.

Jackie: You'd better fess up your source! :D:D:D

Actually we rather enjoyed the Jean Ann Ryan singers. They also were good sports and fun to talk to; I interviewed one of their captains about careers in show biz to help out students at our local summer stock theater.

Personally, I don't think anyone should book a luxury cruise for the entertainment. It's never a strong suit on luxury lines, imo although some of it is better than others. I much prefer amusing myself with fellow passengers and a cognac. But that's just me!

Actually we rather enjoyed the Jean Ann Ryan singers. They also were good sports and fun to talk to; I interviewed one of their captains about careers in show biz to help out students at our local summer stock theater.

So did we on the Navigator in April

Talented artists who were very professional:)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi there,

We would like more details about the entertainment offered on Regent's ships. Our cruise is on the Explorer but I imagine it will be similar to current arrangements.

3) What kind of music is played in the various lounges? Musicians? DJs? May I assume there will be a piano player at some point in the day/evening?

We have always enjoyed the piano player in the lounges. There has always been one on all our Regent cruises and will be found in the evenings in different lounges depending on the time. We love to follow him around and enjoy drinks and listening and many times will dance when its just the two of us on the small dance floor.

On all of our cruises with Regent there will be a duo or trio group that sings in the various lounges and many times will take requests. They are in addition to the regular Regent band and are not part of the Jean Ann Ryan entertainers who mostly perform in the theater, although they will be in the lounges enteracting with guests when not performing. My wife and I have enjoyed the Jean Ann Ryan group when we have gone to the theater. I will confess though that we seldom go to the shows, opting instead for the lounge singers and piano. We also like the more readily available drinks in the lounges than the slower drink service in the theater. See you on the Explorer TA.

Edited by 555lavan1t

What a coincidence. Bette and I were at Bellagio last week. You are so right, the Petrossian and piano is very relaxing in a hyper energy city. We love it. We are there three/four times a year. Have you ever been to Bellagio on Lake Como?