Obstructed view cabins on Voyager?

DaveFr

I'm interested in a 2009 cruise on Voyager. The only deck six Category G cabins left are 641 and 642. From deck plans and photographs I've seen, the lifeboat/tender just forward of these cabins appears to jut out farther than the cabins' balconies. This would appear to partially obstruct the view forward from these balconies. I can see that the view to the side of the ship is unobstructed but I'm concerned about the view forward.

Also, is it very noisy when the ship deploys its lifeboat/tender at port stops? I wonder if I would be better off going for a Category F cabin on deck seven.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave

Though we've been on Voyager twice (our only two cruises), I can't say for sure about the lifeboat view obstruction. I agree that from the deck plans, it appears as if there'd be some blockage. I can tell you that I don't recall being bothered by boat lowering and raising in ports. (We were in cabin 651, I'm very noise sensitive, and I'd been concerned about that too.) By the way, depending on which cruise you're on, it may be that the boats don't get used at all-- or so rarely as not to matter.

One thing for sure: I think you'll love your maiden experience on Voyager. We hadn't thought we'd enjoy cruising (we're sailors and have long cruised on our own boat, by ourselves or just with a few other people). We absolutely fell in love with cruising, and I suspect that a lot of that enjoyment had to do with that particular ship.

Good voyages to you!

Dave,

I remember being concerned about the same thing.....not to worry. Your view will be fine. We prefer starboard side of ship and have been in 641,643,645 and 655 (some for months at a time). You will be very pleased. Category G, deck 6 is the way to go and has now become our first choice (though it sells out quick)! It's convenient to most everything and very stable should you hit rocky seas.

• 7 years later...

My wife and i are first time cruisers and have booked a 30 day cruise starting in Dubai and ending in Capetown on the Seven Seas Voyager. Reading the reviews has raised several questions/concerns and I would appreciate any feed back from fellow cruisers.

1. We are booked in Suite 711 (Category G). Anyone have any experience with that suite? I get queasy in rough seas. Is this cabin too far forward? Should we get Category F which seems more mid ship?

2. Does the shower only suite provide a bit more space in the bathroom than one with a tub?

3. I read some nightmare scenario about an obstructed view but it seems that is a non event.

4. We read a review mentioning a terrible diesel smell in a cabin for several days. Anyone know what part of the ship is used to refuel?

5. Another review complained of a lot of noise from the a/c machinery. Anyone know where that equipment is located?

6. Where are the tenders and lifeboats located? Any links with good pics to see if that is an issue with Suite 711?

7. Another complaint was being awakened by the deck hands dragging chaise lounges. From what I read, the relaxation and pool area is well above our suite. But any feedback on that would also be appreciated.

Anything I haven't asked about but which will help virgin cruisers will be welcomed.

Thank you.

Hi edgecomb2580 - welcome to the Regent board. First, the thread you have been reading is 7 1/2 years old. There have been at least 3 major refurbishments to the Voyager since early 2008.

In my opinion, suite 711 is not too far forward (however, midship is always the best). Also, deck 7 is a low deck so the movement of the ship will not be pronounced. In all of our Voyager cruises (our favorite ship), we have not heard of an obstructed view nor have we read or experienced noise from the A/C system. While we do not know where the fueling of the ship takes place, any odor is very temporary. Guests are reminded to keep their balcony closed doors when the ship is being refueled. Again, I do not see this as a problem.

When the tender boats are deployed - there is noise -- not just on deck 7 but on several decks. Again, this occurs for a very short time in the morning and evening in tender ports. When you look at your itinerary, you will see which (if any) ports that you will be visiting are tender ports.

The only deck below the pool is deck 10. We have had a suite on deck 10 and will not do that again.

In terms of this thread, I would take much of it with a grain of salt since there have been so many changes to the ship. You may want to either start a new thread or ask questions from a poster that is currently on the Voyager.

Wow! What a quick reply and so informative. My wife and I feel a lot better now. The fact that you cruise and love this ship says it all. We all learn by experience so I am glad we asked about the pool deck issue.

I will follow your advice and start a new thread or reply to a current one. Will let everyone know how it went. A big leap of faith to have never cruised and then jump into a 30 day adventure so we are doing as much due diligence as is possible. Thanks!!

Hello Edgecomb. We are on the Dubai to Cape Town cruise on deck 9 midship.

There is a roll call thread that you can join. Introduce yourself and tell us about pre or post cruise excursions you are doing. It is very slow with not many posters but soon we will be thinking about organising visas and there may be more posts then.

You are going to love Voyager, she is beautiful! No bad cabins, and yes when you are in port and on loading Fuel or off loading sewage you will get a whiff.... Happens on every ship, some times in port the smell isn't your ship at all. Doesn't happen often and the smell goes away fast!

Boy oh boy this thread is dated 2008, yikes !!!!

PS remember some people like to complain and nothing will please them!

Edited by JVilleGal

Hi edgecomb - welcome to the Regent board, and to cruising! I was in 711 for a Norwegian fjords cruise in 2007 and it's a great cabin. There was one night of bouncy seas. I found a picture that I took from the balcony:

Cabin%20711_zpsykfwlaor.jpg

I remember it was definitely bouncy but not enough to bother me. As you can see there are no obstructions to worry about from the balcony.

To answer your question about the bathrooms the Voyager has a tub and a separate shower. There is plenty of room in the bathroom.

I also did your itinerary last year and it's a great cruise. You won't believe how quickly 30 days goes by! We didn't have rough seas at all on our cruise, so I think you'll be okay in 711. I have friends who love that cabin and always try to book it.

Just so you know, I had friends who were in a cabin on Deck 6 starboard last year and there was definitely a diesel smell in their cabin. I think they eventually moved to another cabin. I was in 642 (port side) and there was no smell at all.

Hope this helps!

Hi edgecomb - welcome to the Regent board, and to cruising! I was in 711 for a Norwegian fjords cruise in 2007 and it's a great cabin. There was one night of bouncy seas. I found a picture that I took from the balcony:

Cabin%20711_zpsykfwlaor.jpg

Andrea,

We were in #709 on the same cruise so your picture was very deja vu!

Edgecomb...we were right across the hall in 712 for 87 days on the recent Grand Voyage. Only had rough seas once or twice but did not notice appreciable motion....one of those times we actually went up to the forward Observation Lounge to enjoy the view and THERE you could feel the motion but it was just a nice rolling motion not the kind that might mKe one feel ill. We really liked that area of the ship for our suite as it was somewhat quite but close enough to the forward stairs to easily move about the ship.

We will be on her again this October.....enjoy your cruise!

Am now on the Voyager in the north Atlantic near the end of our 30 day cruise. We love the Voyager! We (3 of us) are in cabin 647 - lots of room and storage. I think that all Voyager cabins have both a shower and a tub; we only use the tub for laundry and heavy coats that you won't need ( we went to 80 degrees north). baths have wonderful storage space.

Only somewhat restricted views are from Cabins 641, 642, 657, and 658 and then only if you are on your balcony and look out to front of ship. There you see the portions of the tenders.

The Voyager took on fuel 2 days ago just below and forward of our cabin and no smell in our room; noticeable out on upper deck until after refueling was complete. Deck 6 cabins (I have been in 7 different ones) are stable and vibration free - we sleep like the proverbial log!.

have a great trip.