Elated on the Carnival Elation?.......An Accouting of My Experiences

lovelearnteach

Another Review by Ken I'm...........  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Another Review by Ken I'm...........

• feeling appricative.
    • enjoying this.
    • excited.
    • not sure.
    • out of here.
    • feeling frustrated!
    • mad!
    • never reading anything from you again.

Woke up to another beautifully sunny day. Today we are in Progreso and we plan on getting a tour in port. I decided to give the buffet a try this morning. I prefer the MDR, but it was fine.

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20266_zpsa7q7icot.jpg

The round cinnamon rolls were awesome, so yummy.

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20267_zps08ywhjhf.jpg

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20268_zpsveneejay.jpg

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20269_zpseyoaujor.jpg

View friom back of Tiffany's

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20270_zpsqg6hpcay.jpg

View from our cabin window

We took our time, waiting for the hordes to get off since we were in no rush. I wanted to go to the Dzibilchaltun Mayan ruins. As we were in line waiting on the free shuttle to the end of the pier a lady from AutoProgreso asked us if we wanted a tour. The tour to just the ruins was $29pp so we took it. I much preferred Progreso to Cozumel because I found it to be more authentic Mexico.

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20271_zpstil2ee5q.jpg

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20272_zpsdo7bz6bx.jpg

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20274_zpsm40tqqm3.jpg

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20277_zpsnenhlkst.jpg

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20276_zpspqg72fom.jpg

Edited by lovelearnteach

We had half an hour to walk around until our tour left at 11:15a.m.. We had to meet by where the free shuttle drops off, but we had to walk to a different spot to get on our tour bus. It was a quick 15-20 minute drive to the ruins. Our guide was very knowledgeable about the ruins and the Mayans.

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20283_zpsgzlczktc.jpg

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20284_zpsprn8ay7l.jpg

To say it was hotter than hell would not even begin to describe how hot it was. It was worth it though, it's just indescribable to be able to be a part of this ancient culture. The cenote was beautiful and a much needed respite from the heat. I know you could swim but I chose not to bring my suit, big mistake. If I had brought my suit I would have been in the water the whole rest of the time.

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20294_zpsidepgttq.jpg

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20295_zpshd3mcnjy.jpg

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20296_zps9tscb3mb.jpg

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20298_zps53rqhvf8.jpg

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20297_zpsxmpayffl.jpg

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20299_zps1ntisnj8.jpg

I am enjoying your review and photos! I do like Cozumel, but have not been there lately (6 years), but I have always wanted to go to Progresso. I think it must be a bit like outside the port area of Costa Maya, where I have been twice, and would love to go back.

I am enjoying your review and photos! I do like Cozumel, but have not been there lately (6 years), but I have always wanted to go to Progresso. I think it must be a bit like outside the port area of Costa Maya, where I have been twice, and would love to go back.

Thank-you :). I haven't been to Costa Maya to compare, I guess I need to add it to the bucket list :D.

Nice review. I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers Progresso to Cozumel. I only wonder how long it will stay "real" Mexico with all the cruise ship tourists.

Thank-you :). Well they've managed to so far and I know cruises have been stopping here for quite a few years now.

When I got back on the ship this was waiting for me.

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20356_zpsgutjhiny.jpg

So after dropping my stuff off in the cabin I headed up to the buffet. I got myself a salad and two slices of pepperoni pizza. The pizza was very good, sorry forgot to bring my camera, no pix. As I was sitting there eating my lunch, they started closing the buffet.

People were getting back from port, and were getting frustrated that everything was closing, and I noticed several workers laughing and joking that people were upset about the buffet being closed. They were snatching the pans of food as people were still getting things out of them. I see both sides, but if someone is getting something you can wait a few seconds to let them finish, and then to laugh about it is rude.

I feel the buffet hours should be adjusted on port days, so that they are still open until half-hour after sail-away. I had issue with this on my last cruise on the Splendor.

So I went back to the cabin to relax. We watched a movie on the ancient TV. I decided I wanted a milkshake so I headed to the Musical Cafe. When I got there the barista was getting a piece of cake for a lady and there was another man standing there. I stood behind him, the lady getting the cake didn't have her S&S card. As they were figuring it all out another lady walks up to the counter.

I know the barista saw us 2 guys standing there, before the other lady walked up. The barista then goes to the lady and takes her order, which she wants 2 chocolate milkshakes. The barista then looks at us 2 guys and says ladies first and laughs. I'm all for common courtesy, but am I supposed to stand here all day waiting for when you decide to serve me. I walked away and never went back.

It was annoying, not life shattering, and saved me some $ and some calories. The other guy walked away too, frustrated. I'm sorry but it should be first come, first served period. I thought it was odd, but in no way took away my enjoyment of the cruise.

I tried my hand at the blackjack tournament, didn't make it to the finale. Then it was off to dinner.

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20357_zpskz9v4zvq.jpg

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20358_zpsdhl43pa5.jpg

Lobster Bisque, very good.

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20359_zpsmeja2r3b.jpg

Chateaubriand With Sauce Bearnaise, very good.

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20360_zps7prg36ac.jpg

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20361_zpsxjdij2en.jpg

Cappuccino Pie, one of my favorite desserts on Carnival!

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20362_zps5sisehhj.jpg

Grand Marnier Souffle, also very good.

After dinner we headed to the Mikado Lounge for the Playlist Production, "Divas". It was really good, we both enjoyed it.

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20363_zpsg12fhxys.jpg

Mexico%20cruise%20Nov.%202015%20364_zpss94tno4v.jpg

I also had called and made reservations for the Dr. Seuss Breakfast for the next day. They told us to be at the Inspiration Dinning Room at 9:30a.m..

Overall I had an awesome day. Dzibilchaltun Mayan Ruins were so awesome, next time I would bring my suit and just swim in the cenote the whole time, or at least most of the time. Everyone said go to Chichen Itza, which is one of the 7 wonders of the world. I just couldn't swallow 4 hours on a bus. I don't regret my choice at all, DMR was so much closer and you can still climb the ruins there.

I enjoyed Progreso over Cozumel. Just my opinion, both are nice ports.

I did have those instances with staff today, but no one or one thing is perfect, and that's okay.

So I went back to the cabin to relax. We watched a movie on the ancient TV. I decided I wanted a milkshake so I headed to the Musical Cafe. When I got there the barista was getting a piece of cake for a lady and there was another man standing there. I stood behind him, the lady getting the cake didn't have her S&S card. As they were figuring it all out another lady walks up to the counter.

I know the barista saw us 2 guys standing there, before the other lady walked up. The barista then goes to the lady and takes her order, which she wants 2 chocolate milkshakes. The barista then looks at us 2 guys and says ladies first and laughs. I'm all for common courtesy, but am I supposed to stand here all day waiting for when you decide to serve me. I walked away and never went back.

It was annoying, not life shattering, and saved me some $ and some calories. The other guy walked away too, frustrated. I'm sorry but it should be first come, first served period. I thought it was odd, but in no way took away my enjoyment of the cruise.

Wow, that is unacceptable. I would have definitely complained to Guest Services. Sorry that happened to you.

lovelearnteach, if you ever get to Costa Maya there are some great ruins there called Chacchobean? sp? I'm sure I got that wrong but it is close. Went there back in 2002 on my Celebrity cruise and it was fantatic. And a little town and beach not far from the port shops area, called Majahual which is very interesting.

That was so wrong of that barista. If another lady had come after that one, you would wait longer. You could have ended up waiting all day to be served last and that is just plain wrong. I'm all for equality, but that was the opposite. Plain wrong.

edit to correct spelling it should be Chacchoben. LOL I was close.

Edited by SMSACE6